Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To hospital or not? Help

They said they were going to give me pain meds but frankly, by the time I got to the ER, the pain had subsided. The pain is only when the stones are sneaking out! Or sometimes they get stuck. Mine must have made it out. Apparently, if you eat any fried or fatty food, the gall bladder compresses to release more bile to handle the fried or fatty food. WHen it compresses, any stones in there try to escape. That is the pain, the stones moving out. Once they are all the way out, the pain goes away, until next time!! So, even though they admitted me to the hospital for a day and a half, they didn't remove it then. I am still trying to schedule surgery date to have it removed.

My pain was a bit different and it felt like what I imagine a heart attack to feel like. Not really in my heart but pain/ache/not sure how to describe it in my upper abdomen but also reaching around to my back and just takes my breath away. I can ever quite pinpoint where the pain is when it is happening other than what I just said.

So, no, they haven't yet removed it but you should be happy to have it removed sooner rather than later. THe pain of that is worse than the pain of recovering from surgery!!! lol

For sure. I think I may have an ulcer as well. My pouch cramps and burns non stop. It's really bad. Today I feel like I got kicked by a horse :(. The gallstones hurt like crazy and I pretty much hate fried and fatty food so that wasn't a trigger. I eat super lean. It just got progressively worse over the last two weeks Especially at night when I didn't have any food in my stomach. So weird. I never thought it would be gallstones!! The tech told me what I have is little tiny stones and "sludge". It's like mud in your gallbladder. Maybe that's why it feels different.

Waaaaa. Hospital is so lame

@@bellabloom

Well for someone going through so much u do have a good sense of humor...lol u have to or u would prolly lose your mind. I can't relate just yet still in early stages of getting bypass myself. Hang in there mama. I hope u have someone to help with your kiddos. Good luck to u an keep us posted :)

I had something like that in Dec, went to the ER 5x in the space of 1.5 weeks, thought I was gonna die, tears streaming down my face kind of pain. Then it just went away......? Went to a general surgeon and he said something was up with my gallbladder so to do two different tests to check it. First was an ultrasound and found no stones (yay) haven't been scheduled for the second yet to test my gallbladder function. So I hear ya, hope you have a speedy recovery!!

I had my gallbladder removed in 2005, I was necrotic, I am one of the walking "worse case scenarios" type people at the time I had my gallbladder removed. I was in liver failure, my pcp thought I was having heart troubles, and those do run in my family, so every heart test available was done, nothing off the wall, so when I woke one day so sick I couldn't walk a friend rushed me to her office, I was in liver failure, more tests, etc, nothing showing a reason to be sick. Long story short, a few weeks later a smart ER doc diagnosed me with gallstones, sen me back to my pcp to get tested and referred to a surgeon, had surgery a month after the ultrasound. I had been sick since 2001, that's 4 yrs of suffering with gallstones and pain. Surgeon said I could have died from the gangrene in my gallbladder, he said another week and I might not be resting quietly in recovery. Don't be me! Relatively speaking, I didn't feel terribly ill but I must have been.

Wow! Reading all this makes me SO glad that I had my gallbladder out years ago, thanks to my oldest daughter. Short me and an eight pound plus baby equaled gallstones and surgery (open as laparoscopic wasn't done then) at seven weeks post-partum!

Bella,

I completely understand your pain! I had RNY on 12/1/14 everything went fabulous I felt great then the week of Christmas things started going downhill. food became painful, drinking became painful, I went to the ER on 12/31/14 and was admitted, I didn't leave until 1/6/15. I had sludge & gallstones and I was going in for surgery. I woke up with my gallbladder and they told me I had ulcers in my stomach and esophagus. They put me on a bunch of Meds and I get to keep my gallbladder for now (wish they woulda just taken it). Lost control of my hydration again because of the ulcers so I've spent 4 hrs a day each day this week getting fluids at the hospital. My arms and hands are all bruised from the IV. The worst part of it all is all the time I've missed out on with my daughter. When I was admitted to the hospital and she would FaceTime me I would end up crying my eyes out.

I hope this is the end of your set backs!

I don't know why they sent me home from the hospital so early. I'm in so much pain still I wish I was on stronger pain meds. They damaged my throat and it hurts like hell I'm considering going back to the hospital today and asking to be readmitted

I don't know why they sent me home from the hospital so early. I'm in so much pain still I wish I was on stronger pain meds. They damaged my throat and it hurts like hell I'm considering going back to the hospital today and asking to be readmitted

They removed your gallbladder and sent you home while you were still in pain??

Yes. I am pretty pissed about it. I had family pressure to leave as well as this attitude from my doctor of "most people go home the next day on Tylenol."

Well I have been in horrible horrible pain and it's been the worst experience I can't even explain how bad. And my family is overwhelmed with caring for me after two surgeries. It's just been awful.

Anyway I'm getting through it. Today I'm feeling a little bit better. Last night was torture. I'm worried though because I'm starting to cough and I have a rattle in my chest. I'm wondering if I'm not not getting sick.

It's been a horrible ordeal. My asshole bariatric surgeon has this attitude that I am weak and whimpy and can't deal with pain. I don't get it at all. I've never ran into an attitude like that from a surgeon before.

I tried to get in to see my primary care doctor and she couldn't see me and I even emailed her with no response. I'm feeling pretty let down with everyone at this point.

So sorry to see you are still sick. I can't imagine two surgeries back to back. The thing that has helped most for my pain (and you may be doing this already) is a heating pad on my belly. It got me through the worst couple days, and now feels good on the occasional twinge. If you don't have one yet... Otherwise, just take care of yourself. It sounds like you may have turned the corner.

Gosh I'm so sorry that your being treated this way! Everyone has different pain tolerances and it shouldn't be taken lightly. I hope this is the last of your complications!

My heating pad and I are inseparable! It really does help. I'm feeling better little by little and I can't complain I am thrilled with the weight loss!! It's worth it. A few weeks of pain vs a lifetime wasted in misery and poor health.

Oh good, I'm glad to hear you are doing somewhat better.

I'm attached to my heating pad now too, although my eleven year old son tries to steal it. His feet are always cold.

Stomach pain can also be from ulcer (s) and those are caused by our own stomach acid. Not much you can do except anti-acids such as Omoprozole.

Gallbladders do have a tendency to go bad for WLS patients. We have an even higher incidence of issues then the general population.

Oh well, life is not perfect after all.

Hope you feel better very soon!