Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods do you all not tolerate post band?

Hi guys I am set to get banded feb 2, 2015 and am curious after talking with my mother what foods can you guys not eat or what just doesnt agree with you post lapband. I was curious whether id still be able to eat small foods like rice Beans corn popcorn and etc. idk if I'm just imagining this wrong in my head but im just picturing it getting stuck in a crevice or something i dont know this is probably just my imagination, also how does everyone tolerate salad? And what are a few of your favorite Snacks, im lactose-intolerant and try to limit gluten due to my thyroid disorder. Any advice and tips will help I feel like there is so much to learn as this will be a whole lifestyle change.

Hi Moriah, congratulations on your decision to get healthy! In my signature below there are links to a couple of sources that really helped me understand how the band works. It's not about restriction -- it's about dimming the appetite so we can make good choices. One of the things you will notice here is the variation in what people experience as well as how surgeons have different approaches for pre and post op, fills, etc. I am able to tolerate most anything provided I chew it up well enough. Small portions at appropriate intervals. But still I have a few things that don't work well for me -- beets and squash, of all things. I have to be careful of those. Maybe I love them so much I bolt them down or maybe it's because they are slippery foods, who knows. I don't eat rice or bread. I thought scrambled egg would be high on my list but since being banded I prefer a fried egg, something I never really liked before. You will find the foods that are best for you. Goal is dense Protein well-chewed (the chewing triggers the brain's signal for satiety). "Sliders" are foods that don't need chewing -- shakes, ice cream, chips, etc. Those are all to be avoided. We all worried prior to surgery that we wouldn't be able to do it but the band used properly is a powerful tool. Getting the appetite monster off your back enables you to make good choices and not eat when you're not hungry but it's up to us to make it work. For me, it's like a miracle.

Thanks! I will definitely check those out now

I can eat Beans, corn and popcorn with no problems, rice is trickier. Uncle Bens brown instant rice, a few bites I have no problems. Same with white rice, 3 bites and im done. But Uncle Bens quick rice in a microwave bag ? Cant eat it at all, its too thick. Sometimes the brand and type can determine what you can and cant eat. Same with biscuts and potatoes and some pastas. The only thing I cant ever have again is raw broccoli, pork chops, and chicken breast. Too thick, so I substitute celery, pork loin and chicken thighs. You'll just need to experiment to find out whatgworks for you, especially in the AM, when you're tighter . ( no eggs for me AM, fine in PM).