Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of pocket expense?

My out of pocket max was $2,500. I haven't received the hospital bill portion yet.

...When I was leaving I went to pay my copay.. but they said I didn't need to. that my dual coverage paid for it. ...

Most, but not all, people who have double coverage have zero out of pocket costs. Whatever the primary doesn't pay, the secondary will. Some secondaries only cover deductible, or only cover copays.

I always encourage people to become educated on how their insurance plan works. You cannot always trust the person at the doctor's office to know what they are talking about. At my office, my staff is forbidden from discussing costs with patients; only I am allowed to do that. I start the discussion by saying, "this is what your insurance is telling me, I HIGHLY encourage you to call them and ask them the same questions that I'm going to write down for you."

I used to be on a panel of experts answering questions on a website about all aspects of the business side of medicine. I would shake my head at the number of people with screennames like "InsuranceExpert" who would ask such basic questions that it would seem that they had no training or experience at all. And I would wonder how on earth they were still employed at a doctors office.

/end of rant/hijack

Educate thyself!

Thank you Sharon. I've been trying to educate myself. Unfortunately I can't get a staight answer from my insurance or the insurance coordinator at Dr. Office... im at a wait and see kind of deal.. maybe there is no out of pocket, maybe that's why money hasn't been discussed.... I'm good with no out of pocket! ???? I appreciate the reply Sharon 1964

Edited by AhnaLucille

Ahnalucille - it's not hard.

Get them to forward you a summary of benefits or benefit at a glance. It will state your copays, deductibles etc. Get it for both insurances. One jnsurance cannot help you with the other.

Basic assumption - if they both carry copays/deductibles then you will pay the lesser of the two

My insurances max OOP is $2,000 so hopefully no more than that. At my first appt with the surgeon I had to pay my $500 deductible and I know I will have co-pays with each visit. Not exactly cheap but not bad considering some people pay $10k+.

I am sure I will hit my out of pocket limit of 6k for the surgery. I just hope there is not too much not covered

I have a $250 copay for the hospital stay and a $20 copay for the NUT visit during my pre-admission testing.

Mines was 650 but that also covers my hospital stay as well

$14,500 out of pocket no insurance but worth every penny

My cost will be right around 20k since my insurance excludes sx.

I have a $350 program fee which covers nutritionist visits, personal trainer visits, and support group meetings. My OOP for my insurance is $1,750.00. I had to pay some out of pocket for the EGD and lab work. In the end I will end up spending a little over $2000.00. But can you really put a price on your health?

I was just told mine will be about $2500.