Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass VS Sleeve

wow...great thread for me to be reading right now. I had my initial consult yesterday. Went in totally sure I wanted a Band to Sleeve revision. but she told me that almost ALL of her sleevers get reflux. I had horrible reflux when my band was filled and hated, hated it. So now considering bypass. I had thought I was not obese enough, but she assured me I was ; ) I sort of have to start the research all over again, but this thread really was an eye opener.

I'm excited about my band to bypass revision on June 15th. I wish everyone the best in whichever surgery they decide.

I started out wanting the sleeve because my wife had one and with great success but because I have barrets esophagus ( results from acid reflux) and can be precancerous so as long as it is in check no worries. My surgeon wouldn't consider the sleeve. I was more interested in the benefits rather than the procedure I was going to have. From what I've learned along my journey that the bypass pretty much cures reflux.????. June 15th can't get here soon enough.????. Good luck to everyone no matter what or where your journey takes you.????

Have had 15 years of failure and misery with the band.I had the choice between bypass and lapband...I wanted the band because I thought it would be less invasive...boy did I make a mistake...fast forward.I have PCOS,hypoglycemia,post breast cancer,high cholesterol ,a screwed up esophagus and tortured stomach....why would I want to cut 85% of it out?

I originally considered the sleeve which is the "new" it procedure like the lapband was back in 2004.I am going with the best surgery with the most study and proven research because...I chose incorrectly the first time....this is it..."The gold standard for me.....bypass....do your research and see the amount of sleepers looking for revision to bypass and ask yourself..." How come the bypass patients are not looking for revision to the sleeve?Check out how many sleepers are looking for revisions to bypass...Trust me if you want a revision from the sleeve to bypass down the road you will jump through hoops and may not be able to get approved ....

Sleevers!!!:-)

i was going to go with sleeve with my first surgeon and he didnt even go over pros or cons of either procedure.but with my new surgeon we talked for like an hour and landed on bypass i have diabetes and pcos and i would really like both of these conditions to be resolved like yesterday lol

Yep...and we both don't have time to play around with the "flavor of the moment" procedure .When you have PCOS it is full on.,..bypass is really the way for PCOS sufferers.

Please, just do the sleeve, its so much easier. ( Besides with my RNY I'll always be able to brag and out perform all the sleeve patients and make me look great :) ) Really, RNY is a more serious operation , you are actually shortening the length of the intestine that absorbs food. Every thing being equal, RNY trumps the sleeve, especially if you are diabetic. Just check out my numbers...'nuff said.

Ha! Steve you are so right!!!!Tell em...

I agree if you gotta ponder get a sleeve...I am getting my revision to RNY...

cant wait to get off metformin...My friend had her sleeve in August...because"SHE WANTED THE LESS INTRUSIVE SURGERY"

Yeah ...ER twice...gerd...vomiting...yeah...I suggest the sleeve.My RNY gold standard surgery is on The 28th...

Yeah...go with the sleeve...

Please, just do the sleeve, its so much easier. ( Besides with my RNY I'll always be able to brag and out perform all the sleeve patients and make me look great :) ) Really, RNY is a more serious operation , you are actually shortening the length of the intestine that absorbs food. Every thing being equal, RNY trumps the sleeve, especially if you are diabetic. Just check out my numbers...'nuff said.

OMG....213 pounds lost ??? freakin amazing!!!!!!Congratulations ...