Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor Says its a no-go - Any solutions?

My doctor said that a hiatal hernia is not a problem and that if I had one he would take care of it during surgery. He said that the only difference is that normally they have to make a little tunnel around the back of the stomach to pass the band thru and when you have a hiatal hernia that opening is a little bit larger so you have to be a little more careful to follow your diet when you're healing so that it heals thoroughly in place. I would definitely look for another doctor! Good Luck with everything!

Yep, what everyone else is saying -- your doctor is full of it! Mine specifically said before surgery that if he found one, he would fix it...no big deal.

My doc is in Bakersfield...so I don't know how far north you are but I would highly recommend them. I do know there are some in Fresno at a 'center of excellence' if your insurance requires it. Send me a private message if you want more info.

Hi,

Dr Cirangle fixed my hiatel hernia when he revised and replaced my lap-band. Laproscopic Associates in San Francisco. Excellent surgeon, lots of experience with Lap-bands. Jennifer

I, too, was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia. My surgeon told me that in many cases, after the lapband is placed, the hiatal hernia is reduced and often no other intervention is needed. She said she would see if there needed to be a small repair during the lap-band procedure; stated she could take care of it at the same time. It turned out that it did not need to be repaired, that it was minor. If you can, please get a second opinion from a surgeon who is comfortable/experienced with lap-band procedures. Best of luck to you.

Hey... that's bull. I was tested, and they found moderate reflux. (NO, I didn't experience any symptoms either)... they still did my surgery. I think you should consult another doctor... ask for your files. AND RUN!!!!!

I have had GERD for the past 10-11 years and I was told that I would still be able to have the band. The surgeon had everyone he does surgery on have an endoscopy done prior to surgery and if they find a hernia they will repair it during surgery. I am still not banded (getting pre banding tests, supervised diet completed) but I am not worried about being banded if something shows up in the endoscopy. I agree with everyone else.....look for a second opinion and good luck to you;)

While in the process of getting ready for surgery an Upper GI test disclosed a slight Hiatal Hernia which causes reflux. I've never been symptomatic ( no heatburn or pain) nor take any medication for the condition. The diagnosis was a complete surprise.

My surgeon informed me that this condition eliminates me from being a candidate for lap-band. When asked if there is anything I can do to repair address the reflux she indicated that if i do not have an symptons then I should not do anything for the condition. She also indicated that if I still wanted to have bariatric surgery RoutenX bypass is still an option and it would eliminate the reflux.

Any advice or experience with dealing with this condition?

My sense is my surgeon does mostly gastric bypass procedures and believes its a better option and is very reluctant to explore working around the Hiatal hernia. I live in Northern Cal so if anyone knows of other surgeons that I can consult with I would appreciate it.

thank you

from "sad and disappointed"

What a complete and total load of crap!

MANY obese patients have a hernia! Obesity is one major cause of hernias. It is quite common to have a hiatal hernia repair during the banding procedure.

Sounds like your doc just wants to make more money off bypass.

Seriously, your doc is FOS.

My doc said if he found one during surgery he'd fix it and it would be no major problem. Wow. Sorry your Dr won't.

Good Luck!

When I went for my pre-op testing the dr doing my xrays she asked if I even knew I had a hiatel hernia. I said no and became very worried. My dr. said don't worry we work w/ it all the time. So I agree w/ everyone else GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Count me in too! Didn't know I had a hernia until after surgery. My doc took care of it during surgery. He said the only problem there might be was that I would have more pain in recovery because of the hernia repair. He was right but I am fine. Also NO MORE ACID REFLUX!!!

Even though it may be inconvenient, I would drop that doctor like a HOT POTATO!!!:faint:

I too had one fixed during my banding. I knew I had GERD, but until surgery was unsure what the cause. My Mom has had hiatal hernia surgery twice. Once many years ago when it was a HUGE incision, and once more recently laproscopically. I was reflux free for several months following surgery. Then it returned. I went into panic mode, thinking I had slipped my band, or was eroding. So we did the testing, and it seems my hiatal hernia repair, either did not hold, or tore through in a different, but same general area. I again have reflux. I lived with it before, will live with it now for awhile, until I decide on what course to take with it.

Fixing the Hiatal Hernia is a no brainer during the band surgery. I would guess the percentages of patients with them already to be quite high, I was told the percentage of overall population with them, when my Mom had her last surgery, and was shocked!!! I cannot recall an exact # now, and don't want to mislead anyone with wrong numbers.

I agree, that if you are serious about band vs. rny---then it is time to fine a Dr. with the same opinions. This Dr. even if he were to change his tune and do the surgery, does not seem as though he would be very supportive of the band, and the band takes serious team work with you and your Dr. Look around at other options. YOU are the one with the $$$$$ this is YOUR life....it needs to be YOUR decision, not a lazy Dr.'s.

Good Luck!!!

Kat

This is nuts I do bands on patients with hiatal hernias all the time. Just did one this morning as a matter of fact. If you wanna see there is a pic in the forum section of my site that shows one being repaired.

Dr. Trace Curry - Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I had GERD and a hiatal hernia. I was told that the surgery would cure the GERD and the hernia. It didn't. The lapband caused so much stress on my esophagus that I had esphageal perforations and was in the hospital for four months (mainly in ICU).

I would believe your doctor. I think that eventually the medical community will find that someone with GERD can have damaged the esophageal wall with all of the acid and that the weak wall will be stressed by the lapband.

Remember that this surgery is still fairly new in the U.S. There is still a lot to learn.

Add me to the list! My doc fixed my hiatal hernia, and I haven't had ONE BOUT of reflux/heatburn since. It is AWESOME! Find another doc!