Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Premier Protein, or any protein drink

I have been trying to get in touch with my nutritionist for the past few days and can't for the life of me do it. So I figured I would throw it out there to try to get some advice from the forum! I've seen so many people have success with drinking Premier Protein, I usually just buy whatever the person at GNC/Vitamin Shoppe recommends, but figured if it was working for so many people I would buy some. I have yet to try it because I am confused. I usually throw my Protein powder into my skinny latte from starbucks. Now with a Protein shake do you count it toward your Fluid, or do you count it as a Meal Replacement? When I put it into my skinny latte my nutritionist told me that I could count it as part of my Fluid, but the rest of my intake for the day had to be Water. So I would assume that I could also just take the premade shake as part of my fluid, but I wanted to see what other successful people are doing.

Edited by mmurray

In my opinion, if it is a liquid, it counts towards my Water intake... heck, I even count swallowing saliva! :P (no, not really) and if it has protein/carbs in it, I count it towards my protein/carb and calorie intake for the day too. It all counts.

I don't count it as liquid. I am still taking daily Premier Protein shakes as a replacement for my one egg and toast allowed for Breakfast each day. I drink a lot of sugar free KoolAid made from the liquid drops. I try to drink an entire pitcher of KoolAid each day to achieve my liquid target.

I would count it towards my total daily caloric intake - I don't really have a set number of meals or meal times. Protein Shakes don't stick with me for very long and I wind up eating small meals 5 or 6 times a day.

Thank you! So would you have your Protein Shake and a meal still? or just one or the other?

As you can see you are going to get a lot of different answers to this. I basically track 3 things; liquids, Protein and carbs. I also keep a loose calorie count in my head, but if I am eating what I am supposed to, it isn't as important to me as the other things. I only count calorie free beverages as liquid. If it has Protein and/or carbs it goes in those categories. I just think of the liquids I gain from these things as a bonus.

Why do I do it like this? Who knows? My brain is a complex network of silly rules that I have devised and have convinced myself that the world will collapse around me if I do anything different. So, it works for me.

Basically, do whatever works for you! :)

It depends on the nutritionist. I actually drink 48 ounces of straight Water a day, but I am also allowed to count my Protein shakes as part of my fluids. So at the end of the day I am getting 64 ounces or more of fluids since my Protein Shakes are typically 20 ounces.

My nutritionist said it's okay to count it as a liquid. As for eating and drinking them, I'm too early out for that and couldn't hold both! :).

It depends on the nutritionist. I actually drink 48 ounces of straight Water a day, but I am also allowed to count my Protein shakes as part of my fluids. So at the end of the day I am getting 64 ounces or more of fluids since my Protein Shakes are typically 20 ounces.

I think that my nutritionist would be more for this. But for some reason she hasn't answered me. I'm sure it's just due to the holiday because when I asked her about the Protein in the coffee she said as you are doing make sure you are drinking at least 48oz of Water. Which I make sure I hit that every day, and if I don't have coffee I drink the whole 64oz of water.

Its interesting to see what everyone is doing.

Why do I do it like this? Who knows? My brain is a complex network of silly rules that I have devised and have convinced myself that the world will collapse around me if I do anything different. So, it works for me.

Basically, do whatever works for you! :)

I love this!

My NUT told me it's a Meal Replacement but it also counts towards my Fluid goal. I have a Premier Protein for Breakfast around 7, then a snack around 10, lunch around 1, snack around 4, dinner around 7, then snack before bed.