Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst "compliment" you have gotten since surgery

I'm totally with you. My skin is as thick as it comes and I rarely get offended by stupid asinine things ignorant people say. I also try to AVOID being the ignorant person who says asinine things that really have no bearing on the overall well being of someone.

Is it nice?

Is it helpful?

Is it necessary?

If it meets two out of three, I'll say it. If it doesn't, I tell my dog and my pillow.

Kinda like what I use with my kids...

THINK is it...

Truthful

Helpful

Interesting

Necessary

Kind

I can go with just one and then it can be said.

For what it's worth, I say "I used to be fat" or "back when I was fat" all the time, which I understand is different. I don't mind hearing it, so I say it first when someone is struggling about how to say it nicely ????

@@Bobby46 -- We have almost the same stats - I was sleeved on Aug 31 and down 60 lbs. Also short, like you, and I don't even recognize myself sometimes! Is she out of her mind? If you have an HR department, that is worth reporting. Of course that's easy for me to say, I don't know your work situation, but I am outraged on your behalf :angry:

Ellen

After being on these boards a few months, I can honestly say that @@LipstickLady said it best when she said to reply to any of these brain donors and say "I know you didn't mean that to sound as b1tchy as it did".

I got a lot of people who were rude enough to say you lost some weight are you sick or something? Very mean and hurtful. just because some loses weight doesn't mean they are sick.

I got a lot of people who were rude enough to say you lost some weight are you sick or something? Very mean and hurtful. just because some loses weight doesn't mean they are sick.

I actually had my first experience with this today. Someone I hadn't seen in a year. She asked me how I did it kind of tentatively and I answered and she said "oh thank goodness I was worried you were sick or something". I didn't mind her concern a bit... But that was probably different than how you've experienced it.

@@jess9395 I think mines was a bit different. It made me think do I look sick did I lose too much

MeAndTinyTina I have known my boss for about 5 yrs now. She is about 13yrs younger than me. I just marked it up as ignorance on her part. I am just glad I only have to really deal with her....other than email and instant messaging for work purposes.....during those luncheons. She has battled her weight as well. I think she is just one of those people that think you will be skinny the moment you leave surgery. One of those that think surgery is a magic trick that makes you instantly skinny.

@@jess9395 I think mines was a bit different. It made me think do I look sick did I lose too much

Like I said I'm sure yours was different. I do try very hard though to not read my own issues and insecurities in what others say.

WOW the skinny legs are back.....took it as a compliment!!!!..my legs a beautiful LOL...!!!

Their comment: "man, surgery to lose weight, that's pretty extreme"

My reply: "yeah but dying early is more extreme"

Edited by vincereautmori

" You don't look nearly as wide as you're walking away."