Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time....

This weekend I tried to start my "Baby food Phase" its been very hard! I don't know if my new stomach is just not ready yet? Or if the pureed rotisserie chicken and mixed veggies was too heavy, but I only ate a few teaspoons and I've been in pain and sick feeling all weekend. I am not sure if I experienced dumping syndrome or what.

So far the only things I can successfully eat are unsweetened applesauce, sugar free Jello, and I had a few teaspoons of hummus. Yesterday I had greek yogurt that went well. Today I had pureed roasted garlic cauliflower I could not even eat a 1/4 of a cup.

Of course I'm still on my protien shakes, but I'm not sure if I'm getting enough nutrients, because I'm feeling weak at times. I am also having a hard time finishing 3 shakes a day. The next step is just to get with my nutritionist and figure out what I need to try next.

Has any other sleevers had these issues? Any ideas? SOS I need help lol!!!

The stages are a lot of trial and error. I know when I Was going through the stages one day I would LOVE something say yogurt, and the next day the thought of it made me want to puke and I couldn't eat it. If your stomach isn't handling certain foods it's ok to back track a little and stay with something you can handle then try again later and you may end up with a different result. I am over 6 weeks out and some days I can eat good and others I just Want my shakes and little food. Eventually it will all even out just makes sure your getting in your fluids, Protein, and vitamins! Take your time with the foods. Are you taking b Vitamins to help with energy?

One thing I would question.... Does your Dr / nut allow you to have meat even puréed ? I ask this only because I was so excited to get to the purée and have a great little blender that mushed things up silky smooth. However. My nut clearly said NO! No meat not even the baby food until after 9 wks. Although I had already tried but ended up with seems like the same results you did... Eating very little and not feeling my best. I couldn't eat more than 1/4 cup to start and learned that I could take a bite then wait a bit before taking another and really slow down my eating really seemed to help. I still have issues at times and my dr also advised me that there may be things I simy can't stomach now after surgery. That and my taste seems to be a bit altered as well. So I stick with veggies that I could cook myself an blend into my own baby food. My fav was roasted squash or broc. :) hang it there and keep working on it. One step at a time.

I also use a baby spoon to eat or an appetizer fork and spoon which help to keep bites tiny :) little tricks that just seem to help

I am just a day over 5 weeks, I was told by my nut after the two weeks, no more of the sf popsicles, Jello, etc. because those would now be considered Snacks. Allowed meat (turkey, chicken, fish only) cubed or tiny bites chewed very well and no skin.

Not allowed vegetables or fruit until after 6 weeks.

Hi! I just had the Sleeve done on December 2, 2014 (two weeks ago today) and I am having a hard time! I am down 27 lbs already and I cannot stand the taste of any Protein drinks. I have tried Atkins, premier, carnation instant Breakfast (sugar free), and I cant even remember others. I do not like the way it makes me feel. I feel very sickly after I drink it and it feels like there is a ball in my throat afterwards.

My doctor started me on soft mashable foods 7 days after surgery. I feel like the best thing I can tolerate is baked tilapia and I can only get down a very small portion (which I know is ok) but its like maybe 2 oz. I can also semi tolerate to get down ground turkey (about 3 or 4 bites).

I am eating/drinking about 200-300 calories, and it is so hard for me to get down liquids as well. On a good day I drink one standard bottle of Water and maybe 1/2 of a G2.

I TRY to do 3 meals a day, but no Snacks because my appetite is just not there.

A typical day:

Breakfast:

I have attempted oatmeal with Protein, and I am full after 2 small bites and it begins to come up my throat and is very uncomfortable.

Lunch:

Tomato Soup with cheese for protein: I get maybe 3 bites and I don't want anymore.

Dinner:

Baked Fish and Grits with Parm in them for added protein. I get maybe 3-4 bites total mainly the fish and I don't want any more.

I don't feel as if I am getting enough fluids or even calories per day, and I feel weak even with the Vitamins and B-12. Headaches have been more common then un-common and I am just miserable.

Please help me with some suggestions! I am miserable. Is this way of eating normal. When I went to my 1 week post-op they told me I should be eating 1/4 to 1/2 a cup at a sitting, wait 1 min. between bites, and focus on fluids, Vitamins, and protein. I don't feel this is feasible and I am just lost!

HELP!!!

@abolen4 I prefer the Cellucor Protein powder and many on the forum enjoy the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. The Unjury is a little pricey for me though.

How about Greek yogurt? You could try adding a little Protein Powder to that also.

Edited by brians34

Hi! I just had the Sleeve done on December 2, 2014 (two weeks ago today) and I am having a hard time! I am down 27 lbs already and I cannot stand the taste of any Protein drinks. I have tried Atkins, premier, carnation instant Breakfast (sugar free), and I cant even remember others. I do not like the way it makes me feel. I feel very sickly after I drink it and it feels like there is a ball in my throat afterwards.

My doctor started me on soft mashable foods 7 days after surgery. I feel like the best thing I can tolerate is baked tilapia and I can only get down a very small portion (which I know is ok) but its like maybe 2 oz. I can also semi tolerate to get down ground turkey (about 3 or 4 bites).

I am eating/drinking about 200-300 calories, and it is so hard for me to get down liquids as well. On a good day I drink one standard bottle of Water and maybe 1/2 of a G2.

A typical day:

Breakfast:

I have attempted oatmeal with Protein, and I am full after 2 small bites and it begins to come up my throat and is very uncomfortable.

Lunch:

Tomato Soup with cheese for protein: I get maybe 3 bites and I don't want anymore.

Dinner:

Baked Fish and Grits with Parm in them for added protein. I get maybe 3-4 bites total mainly the fish and I don't want any more.

I don't feel as if I am getting enough fluids or even calories per day, and I feel weak even with the Vitamins and B-12. Headaches have been more common then un-common and I am just miserable.

Please help me with some suggestions! I am miserable. Is this way of eating normal. When I went to my 1 week post-op they told me I should be eating 1/4 to 1/2 a cup at a sitting, wait 1 min. between bites, and focus on fluids, Vitamins, and protein. I don't feel this is feasible and I am just lost!

HELP!!!

hey I had my surgery on Dec 2nd too and I feel the same way. They say it will get better I'm just going by that.

I'm 5 days post op and I'm really struggling with Fluid intake. Everything I drink hurts going down. I think it may have something to do with my hernia that was repaired. I'm only on liquids but there's not much around. How did you guys get through your two weeks of liquids and get enough Protein?

A typical day:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

HELP!!!

Have you tried the flavorless liquid Proteins? They can be mixed with Soups to up your protein intake.Greek Yogurt is also a good protein source. Try for high protein food first. I t took me 2 weeks before I could get in 60 gms of protein and with sipping Water in between I always felt full bordering on uncomfortable. It does lessen with time.

Thanks so much ladies for the advice i truly appreciate it! Im just going to slow down and just get my fluids. Yes i am taking Vitamin B and my doc told me to try to get one meat protein in a day acutely.

Are you also taking a multivitamn? I take a multi 2's a day as well as the B12 and a few other supplements.