Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yoga's harder than it looks!

Check out the users Ambivalentmind and whats_eating_erica_j on Instagram

And #sizedoesntmatter also.

Feel free to check out my Instagram too I'm doing a yoga challenge! Jessica.stw. I've come a long way and attribute my 19% body fat (just got full body scan today) to yoga as much as the running and diet!

BIG yoga fan here!!!

I just started doing a yoga dvd today. The DVD is called Heavyweight Yoga and it's specifically designed for overweight people. Google Abby Lentz, the instructor, she has a youtube channel and a website called Heartfelt Yoga. VERY good! I have the 2nd DVD and she's releasing a new one in the new year...

Edited by islandsneezer

Had a second, different class today. I can see why people get hooked on yoga. I bought myself a nice thick mat. My knees are grateful.

I remember the first class of Body Balance I attended (it's a mix of Yoga & Pilates) four months ago and Boy! I just had a very cardio dancing class before but the yoga was a real torture for me!

I kept going to the torture class oops yoga class once a week anyway though and it got better and better because my body is so flexible now. And just last Wednesday after the class I just realized that wow it relaxed my whole body, like I just had a full body massage and it felt soooooo great! Love it!

I never liked yoga. My stomach always got in the way. And it still gets in the way. Stupid stomach. I'm good with Warrior 1 though!! :)

I don't know what happened, but my balance has been really off since I had surgery. I mean, I find myself almost falling or leaning several times a week. My 16 yr old son laughs at me. It's not funny though. I'm extra careful in the shower. I'm afraid to take a yoga class. Afraid that I'll fall out during one of the poses and EMS will have to respond. How embarrassing that would be!

I don't know what happened, but my balance has been really off since I had surgery. I mean, I find myself almost falling or leaning several times a week. My 16 yr old son laughs at me. It's not funny though. I'm extra careful in the shower. I'm afraid to take a yoga class. Afraid that I'll fall out during one of the poses and EMS will have to respond. How embarrassing that would be!

I know what you mean. I feel like you could knock me over with a feather some days. I don't have enough core or leg strength to open heavy doors some days. However, yoga is great for balance and strength. You can go at it slow, and increase as you gain endurance. I had to stop due to plastics, but I'm definitely going back once I'm healed up. I could tell a difference in the short time I did it.

I never liked yoga. My stomach always got in the way. And it still gets in the way. Stupid stomach. I'm good with Warrior 1 though!! :)

You've never had a good teacher who can show you modifications for curvy yogis then!

It's not for everyone, but like with running I think you need to build up your abilities to the level where it becomes comfortable before you really know if you will like it or not.

I know what you mean. I feel like you could knock me over with a feather some days. I don't have enough core or leg strength to open heavy doors some days. However, yoga is great for balance and strength. You can go at it slow, and increase as you gain endurance. I had to stop due to plastics, but I'm definitely going back once I'm healed up. I could tell a difference in the short time I did it.

Exactly!! Yoga is one of the best ways to restore that lost balance! And a good teacher won't let you get into a position where you could hurt yourself. All balance poses start with all "corners" on the ground and you only lift off when and IF you feel ready!

As soon as I am cleared for exercise, I am going to get back into yoga. I am really noticing how out of shape I have become since my back problem started and then my BR surgery. You guys make me regret that I ever stopped doing yoga.

@MichiganChic. Thanks for the validation. I surprise myself at times. I'll just trip over my feet. While yoga doesn't seem to be my thing, maybe I'll try a class one day soon. You never know.

You've never had a good teacher who can show you modifications for curvy yogis then!

It's not for everyone, but like with running I think you need to build up your abilities to the level where it becomes comfortable before you really know if you will like it or not.

Lol. I'd never actually spend money to go to a class. Yoga is just not for me. I'm just not hippy dippy trippy enough to find it enjoyable. I'd rather lift heavy weights or hit the elliptical.

Um, wow, I don't know how to respond to that. I really hope you didn't mean that to sound as judgmental as it did. For sure everyone has to find what works for them, but hippy dippy is the furthest from how I'd describe myself and I think you using words like that may stop people from trying something they may discover they like.

I think you can't truly judge an exercise (or any new activity) and whether you like it until you give it a try. And by that I mean try it long enough so you can develop a small amount of competence so you can really see if you like it or not. It's like anything new, one bite isn't enough to really see. And if you are struggling you may not like it, but you limit your life choices if you write things off too soon.

You may be spot on that you personally won't like yoga (though each type is different and some are peaceful and relaxing and others are a tough weight training workout, you might be surprised) but don't write it of as hippy dippy and discourage others from trying it.

Lol. I'd never actually spend money to go to a class. Yoga is just not for me. I'm just not hippy dippy trippy enough to find it enjoyable. I'd rather lift heavy weights or hit the elliptical.

Oh and BTW I can lift heavy weights and elliptical with the best of em.