Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today I reverted to a bad habit that I have.... eating while bored. I wasn't hungry. I can't say that I have been hungry since I was sleeved.

My computer is not working and I put it down walked to the refrigerator and stared at it until I figured out something to eat.

I was not hungry and had eaten my 3 meals today. I'm trying not to beat myself up for this but I'm questioning my ability to continue without doing my bsd habits that have gotten me in trouble. :-(

Since you'v already identified a trigger, why not think up alternatives to do instead of eating. Even if you have to type or write them out and stick them on the fridge as a reminder. It could be really simple:

If I am bored I will:

• Take a walk
  • Read a book
  • Drink 8 ounces of Water

Those are just examples, but if you don't replace old habits with new you will fall back into that vicious cycle. Instead of kicking yourself come up with a better coping mechanism.

I eat when I'm bored and when I watch TV. I try to find something to do....clean my office (this actually turned into a two week distraction), wash my truck, write Christmas cards, do laundry, etc. Winter is a lot harder because most of the distractions I used in the summer are no longer available. the other thing is to fill a 32 oz container with Water or tea or whatever and not eat anything until it's gone.

Kindle the Water requirement is a good idea. I'm 6 weeks out and am still struggling to get the amount of water my nut says that I need.

Nikki9....how goes the boredom eating? Hang in there!

I eat when I'm bored and when I watch TV. I try to find something to do....clean my office (this actually turned into a two week distraction), wash my truck, write Christmas cards, do laundry, etc. Winter is a lot harder because most of the distractions I used in the summer are no longer available. the other thing is to fill a 32 oz container with Water or tea or whatever and not eat anything until it's gone.

What an awesome idea! I have a 32 oz container right in front of me as we speak!

@@sophie'sChoice. .... thanks for checking on me. So far so good. I am able to distract myself. It's not too bad because I am not hungry but I do find myself walking to the fridge out of habit. I just close it and walk away. I do fear what will happen when I get cravings again.

Imdo rainbow loom bracelets. My daughter is done with them... Fad over.. They keep my hand busy when watching TV

@@sophie'sChoice. .... thanks for checking on me. So far so good. I am able to distract myself. It's not too bad because I am not hungry but I do find myself walking to the fridge out of habit. I just close it and walk away. I do fear what will happen when I get cravings again.

Have you made your instead of plans? Start telling yourself now "when I get cravings I will ____________ instead of boredom eating. Without that plan in place you're setting yourself up to fail.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Yeah, we always have to fight those habits. For me, it's like some type of a switch goes off in my head at 9 pm. If there is a reason I'm up past 9, I start looking for food. I hate that. It's a real struggle to not eat. I think it's because I'm up early every day, and I'm tired, and my resistance and will power is down. I seriously just try to go to bed, if I can, otherwise, I can easily consume 200-300 calories I don't need.

I was warned about habits like this prior to my surgery - so before I had it, I tried to think of all the things I longed to have time for but never let myself do...

I came up with 3 things. I always wished I could just sit and do a crossword puzzle, wished I could just watch a tv series on my ipad without yelling at myself that I should be using the big tv screen and clear up and delete my thousands of old emails.

Now, 4 1/2 months post-op, I save and do the NY Times crossword puzzle every Monday (it's the easiest day) and bought an app with all puzzles for like the past 15+ yrs. I watched all 5 SEASONS of Breaking Bad already and am currently on the second season of House of Cards. Clearing my emails is coming along.

I make a very definite effort to switch from eating to one of the above. It's not always easy, but I am determined to make it a forced habit so that it gets as routine as possible for the future when food may get tougher to walk away from.

I work full time and have a very demanding life, but I fit in the above activities in small increments during the time I guess I used to spend eating and eating!