Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

well its beena while since i posted last. July is just about finished and that means the tour (of France) is coming to a close. Have ya,ll been watching it? I think Cadel Evens can pull it offi n the time trial tommrow.

Had abit af knee troubleand have slackedon the riding, Dr says I can ride but will need to have the knee scoped in a month or so all the weight I was toting around for so long messed up some cartlidge.

Well its time for bed going to rife in the AM.

Justin

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have read through quite a bit of this thread, but I can't catch up on over 500 pages of posts, so I thought I'd just jump in.

I was banded June 4, 2008. High weight: 263, Current weight: 224, Goal Weight: 150. I am 5'7".

I have been walking about 5 miles a day now for some time and have always wanted to try cycling. So, I did some research over the past couple of days and bought this today:

Fujibikes.com - 2008#

I was going to buy a super budget cheapy bike just to see if I liked the sport (I haven't biked in AGES), but some of my more experienced family members as well as some knowledgeable salespeople convinced me that I probably wouldn't like biking very much if I was uncomfortable on the bike or if the bike had problems . . . so I trusted their judgment and ended up in this one. I brought it home this afternoon and tried it out for about 10 minutes before it got dark. Tomorrow will be the true test.

It was VERY intimidating going into bike shops. It felt so much like going into this one professional camera store before I became a pro photographer. haha! This one lady tried to get me to buy those things to make my bike a stationary bike so I could get used to it before going on the road . . . LOL . . . which I am sure is fine and dandy, but I felt like she was looking at me and judging my athletic ability by my weight. I said just because I haven't OWNED a bike in 20 years doesn't mean I haven't ridden them or don't know how. LOL!

I couldn't even get the men in one store to help me at all. One guy kept trying to sell me a beach cruiser . . . uh . . . but I don't WANT to put cold beers in my basket and ring the little bell up and down the boardwalk . . . I WANT to rack up some miles on a road bike or a hybrid!!!! LOL!

So, I sucked up the intimidation and here I am. We'll see if I break my neck tomorrow. [i put my helmet on and started to get on my bike and I asked DH how I looked. He said, "You look like someone who is about to break their neck." -- he thinks he's soooooo funny!]

Anyways . . . just thought I'd say hi and let you know that I'm going to give this a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll be posting a bike for sale ad here and then you won't have to face the bike shop yourself! :thumbup:

SDP

What a horrible experience. I'd find the owner of the store and tell him what for.

But I'm like that.

Good you for sticking to you guns and knowing what you wanted. You'll love riding and sounds like you have some good people around you who can help you with the sport.

My one word of caution, DON'T OVER DO IT on your first few rides. Set a time frame or miles that seem too low. Like 15 minutes or 2 miles just to not hate it later. Staminia builds more quickly for riding than anything I've yet to try like running or swimming.

You rock.

BP

Good to see you back! A little breather sometimes is what it takes to get back in the game. I was watching a bit of the race last week, it's always cool to watch them move and look at their speed, but I don't have time to really keep up with it.

D

Your pink jersey is cute as can be. You look like you own that road.

I was like HP and didn't really start wearing jerseys until this year. The padded shorts, absolutely, but the jerseys are so expensive and I just KNEW I'd be out of them sooner than the expense warrented.

Yeah, its 3 in the morning and I'm on here. I'm sick and can't sleep. Well I took some medicine and I'm waiting for it to travel down so I don't wake up choaking on it.

Ugh.

i cant drink through a straw at all...because of the air ....and even last year I had trouble with my bottles when it was so hot and i was drinking too fast....just be careful how fast you drink.

You may not have any trouble with your pack though..just trials and error....!

I am so happy you were cleared to start riding....

Are you doing the Bridge to Bridge ride or the one in Starrlight in September??? Just asking...we are thinking of doing one of those....

I did not ride either but saturday is just around the corner....yipppyyyyyyyyyy

D...my husband says your husband looks like a professor!

I can't wait to tell my DH that!!! He is a welder!!!! I was laughing at that, and it would be even funnier if you ever met him!!!:thumbup::lol::crying::lol:

D - the scenery in the photos is beautiful. YOU are even more so! Cool pink jersey. Were you calling Lance A in the first photo? :biggrin:

Cleared to hop on the bike - YAY!!! Rainy, rainy day - BOO!! :wink2: I know, I know I'm being selfish, the plants need the rain, yada, yada, yada....I wanna ride. Tomorrow is another day! :crying:

No fill today, still too much bruising from surgery. Question for all you experienced LB riders...I usually ride with a camel back (if I am doing distance). Any problems with air when drinking Water via the camelback tubing/mouthpiece? :confused2:

Have a great weekend! KY

Me and Lance ARE pretty tight now-a-days.........ya know, now that I am his personal trainer and all............hahahahahah...........I was calling my DD, she didn't go with us, and of course had a dire emergency just as I was coming up the top of that hill:cursing::thumbup: It was about the computer.....oh brother.....

I have never had a problem with my camelback. I think its actually better, less air coming out. I still don't drink from a straw, but pretty sure I could....just don't see a reason too.

I started out with mountain biking shorts with the padding because I did not want to be seen with the spandex shorts. I wore those all last year. They were very uncomfortable because the outside part rode up between my legs. They had a spandex liner in them, but they were definitely not comfortable to ride in. I bought the compression/spandex this year and have loved every minute of it. They are so much better!!

I just reread your post...I am awake because I can't sleep. Instead of laying there tossing and turning, I am here. Why are you sick? Flu?

Yeah, kiddo was sick last week with ear infections/sinus infection. I was hoping it would pass me by.

I'm going to drink gallons of Water (really I'm going to drink as much as possible) and hit up the vitamins/cold remedies. It's just hard to do in the middle of the night, my stoma closes and I can't put anything after I've laid down. I was asleep for a few hours.

I need to be in good form next weekend, we have the much talked about Muddy Buddy coming up on the 3rd.

Ugh.

I'm signing off. Over and out.

Well, I totally agree with the medicines....try some of the airborne, although you have to take it as soon as you start feeling sick. Another good one is Zicam. I love that stuff!!!! Hope you feel better really soon!!! I want pictures of the Muddy Buddy!!!

Wow you girls were active last night!

J- Hope you're feeling better. Sorry you're sick.

D- You are amazing! Where do you get all that energy? :thumbup:

SDP- Great bike choice! I have a Fuji also and I love it! I've got a Fuji Professional 2.0. It's cobalt blue/graphite, full carbon. It rocks! I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience in the bike shop. We are best friends with the local bike shop owners here. They are so wonderful! The owner is morbidly obese, which I think helps people of size feel more comfortable and also see that if he can ride, so can they!

Side story: I was on vacation in Colorado a few weeks ago and they have a bike shop on every corner. I am in the market for a new seat so I thought I'd look around and see what they've got. I go into one store and I'm looking at the rack of seats and the guy says, "Oh, I don't have any 'comfort bike seats' in stock right now". I was instantly offended and said, "well that's okay since I don't ride a comfort bike! I ride a road bike." Ugh. I hate that. Shame on him and anyone else that passes judgement.

BG and J- You girls gettin' excited for the Muddy Buddy ???

~C

I am definitely excited for the Muddy Buddy. We will get lots of pictures.

I got my running in yesterday. It was interval day so I had to do 6x400 meters each right around 2:50 with 200 meters of walking in between each. So basically run a lap, walk a 1/2 lap. I was more difficult than it seemed. My 8 year old future step niece was there doing the whole thing with me. Barefoot. lol I wish I only had to haul 50 pounds around. Anyhow I was tired and felt like crap but I did it.

I will let you guys know how night riding goes since you were just talking about it. I got myself a nice headlight and an illuminite vest and will be riding in to work at 3 am on Monday. After going through $40 in gas yesterday I just can't jusitfy driving to work any longer.

Okay and as to end of my crappy week. On Monday my cousin passed away. He was only 21. We are not positive what exactly happened, though it was probably drug related. He had been in rehab and seemed like he was doing better. The whole thing just sucks. My family is very, very close and very, very large. My other cousin (his sister) and I are good friends. My heart has just been breaking for her and her parents. So the whole family has been together all week. It has been wonderful to see my family but I hate the circumstances. So it has been a very long sleep deprived and emotional week for me. All I can say is please keep my family in your prayers and make sure your hugs your children extra tight and tell them daily how much you love them.