Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

sandiego.....

YOU ROCK!!!! Good for you for sticking to your guns, getting what you wanted and not letting them kick you! I hate it soooo much when people are like that...allot of the bike shops, the younger kids are like that.....I know I am bigger, but a bigger seat doesnt make it more comfy at all.

Welcome to our insanity!!!!! We all love biking and if you go back to the start of our thread you will quickly notice all of us started out riding a slow pace and not many miles at a time.

J is right...DONT OVER DO IT THE FIRST FEW TIMES It will keep you wanting more that way...and will be nice to your body!

Kind of funny......I am almost at the weight you are now...and I have been banded for a year....I want to get under 200 so bad...I hope to do it by the end of the year.....You keep up the good work!!!!

B pan... glad to see you post again..we have missed you here......That stinks about the knee....:thumbup: Hopefully you will back and feeling better soon...

You know D.....I laughed when my husband said that too...because you and your husband seem allot like me and my husband....you like to camp....you like the outdoors....you llike small dogs and big dogs.....oh wait...AND YOU LIKE ME!!!!!!

Anwyay...J hope you feel better soon.....

BG...so sorry about your loss....that is sad....and being with family is good but this is not the time you want that to happen....you will be in our prayers...

BG, I am thinking about you and praying for you and your whole family.

J, feeling better today??? Zicam, I tell ya, Zicam!!!

HP, We are pretty much rednecks, definitely not professor material here!!! We DO have all of our teeth though!!! And we don't wear overalls...but yeah, we camp and fish and ride our bikes, how much more hillbilly can ya get??? LOL....what does your DH do, by the way, he looks like he might be a school teacher....high school science???

I wish I could be more disciplined and run. I tried it awhile back, and I hated every stinkin minute of it!!!! My knees hurt and oh, did I mention I hated it. What I did like about it was that I was doing it, actually running, but other than that, its not my thing.

hey....D....he works for the goverment as a contracto....he does electronics....(NERD) No just kidding...LOL

I like it that way......I like being hillbilly

So....next weekend is the Strassenfest ride. That was my first organized ride last year ever.....and it KILLED ME TO DO THE 21 mile ride.

So, we went today to look at the routes...and we can ride these anytime...but it is something I need to do FOR ME...kind of a yearly thing...does that sound dumb?

So, depending on if my daughter rides will tell me which ride we are doing....the ones that are 35-62 mile rides have KILLER hills....there is not good part of them at all...LOL

But, anyway...anyone from last year doing the Allan County ride this year in September? It s the 20th....

Just curious...we may go....they were just so nice...but we will see

I am trying to plan my schedule to see some new areas of interest....

Hope everyone is having a nice day

HP - Not planning to do the Bridge to Bridge or the ride that starts in Starlight. I'd really like to do the Starlight ride sometime. If I did any rides this fall I'd probably do the Hope Ride in Indiana, or the Misaligned Minds ride in Paducah, KY. I haven't done the Paducah ride in about 5 years, but it used to be alot of fun.

Doubtful that I'll do any organized rides, I teach at Western Kentucky University, and I'm taking classes to finish up my Nurse Practitioner certificate, so my schedule gets tight starting Aug. 25th. I try to use my bike as my "vehicle" for commuting to work (barring rain) and I'll be lucky to squeeze is some additional rides. It gets tough when it starts getting dark early, doesn't it?? I need to enjoy every day between now and then!

Have a great weekend! KY

Thanks for the support and encouragement, everyone. I heeded your advice and took it easy today. I did 5 miles at a fairly slow pace. I felt like I could have done 5 more miles quite easily, but decided to play it safe. So, I walked for 1.5 miles and then I went home and did some Tae Bo Fat Blasting Cardio or something like that (from the "amped" series).

It felt really good to be on the bike. I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the wind while riding . . . usually when I walk, I get so dang hot. The bike was a lot cooler.

My one question is: did your wrists hurt? Everything felt fine (even my butt), except for my wrists. What am I doing wrong?

You know, I have trouble with pain in my wrists, the longer the ride the more trouble. I think it is two-fold: #1 If I don't consciously check my hand placement on the handlebar, I tend to hold both hand in sort of a cocked position; #2 The I couple that non-ergonomic position with too much weight on my hands/wrists.

I've been trying to be minful of hand placment when I ride, it's still tough to not put my hands in that favorite spot. Curses - dastardly wrist pain!

Make sure you change your hand position often. Also have some good riding gloves. If that does not work chck with your LBS on the positioning of your handlebars.

Checking in.

HP, I won't be doing the Fort Wayne ride this fall. My schedule is too full.

I might do some organized rides but they'll be last minute decisions. I just can't commit.

i was just curious about the rides...We were trying to get things scheduled, and that one was thrown out there for all of us.

KY....when is the HOPE ride?

My husband wants to do the bridge to bridge...so we will see.

Last year at this time I was getting ready to ride my first organized ride..The Jasper Strassenfest. Last year I was on my Trek Hybrid, and I thought that 21 miles was going to kill me!!!! I was so excited to finish....this year I am making my second appearance....it is a mind thing for me, but honestly it is a milestone that I want to participate in. Sound dumb???

oh anyway....we are going with a group today to hit some new challengin hills....Not sure if I am looking forward to this at all..LOL....but I am still trying.

About the wrist hurting......if you are on a hybrid bike, my daughter and myself last year had the same issues. We were pushing all of our weight on them, they can be rotated down some so you are not pushing so hard. Do take it to the LBS and have them check the position of it....

OH YA CLOSING IN!!!! RIGHT!!!! U ARE TOO FAR AHEAD OF ME....LOL..

I do expect some action out out of you today though!!!

Went out for a nice short ride last nite..I raised my seat trying to get rid of my knee pain, but it didnt go away??????? Not sure what is next. Did fix my feet problem....LOL