Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What shocks you now that you were able to eat in a sitting?

@@VSGAnn2014 food doesn't talk back, if you eat the things you love it delish and comforting, it's so readily available, 24 hrs a day, we get hungry like normal people, just about every social gathering involves some type of food, and the list goes on. What was wrong with me? I simply taught myself to eat large quanties of food. I also ate to comfort myself through a horrible marriage and losing my closest family members. We are, hopefully, all getting better.

Mine are going to sound weird because I LOVED junk food as much as I LOVE healthy foods. Here are examples of my two extremes:

A really big salad. It consisted of: 3 cup of either romaine or baby salad greens, 6 grape tomatoes cut in half, 1/8 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup black bean, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 an avocado, 1 tbsp EVOO and either a splash of lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar and a dash of cayenne powder. I ate this salad or some variation of it nearly every day. I miss salads, but the best I can manage is occasionally making a lettuce wrap. My tummy is ready for all that roughage just yet.

Vegetable Egg Foo Young. A large order was 4 patties. I could eat at least 2 or 3 in one sitting. Often with white rice.

A half pint of Ben & Jerry's, Ciao Bella or Talenti ice cream or sorbet. Especially if it was chocolate.

I don't win often but I think I get the prize of who could eat the most! I'm laughing at the "I ate a whole pint of ice cream." I can't believe I wasn't twice the size, I could eat sheer massive amounts of food. I ate almost 24 hours a day even in my sleep. I woke up once to my hand in the bag of trail mix and chocolate melted on my hand. Pathetic.

My disordered eating went in the opposite direction. I was never a big meal eater. Inconsistent eating might be a better way to describe me. I could nibble all day, or sometimes have a cup of coffee in the morning and not eat again until 8 the evening when I realized I hadn't eaten all day. Then I'd have a bowl of Pasta with some veg and butter or EVOO . That inconsistency was just as dangerous. Not only was I not getting enough nutrients, I wasn't getting the little I did get on any sort of regular schedule. My poor metabolism that was already struggling to work with a defective pituitary and menopausal hormones didn't know what to do. No wonder it held onto every single calorie!

I used to polish off a 20 piece of nuggets by the time I got home from work. Didn't even get a chance to enjoy it,taste it. Just swallowed. I loved Whoppers and 3 big burritos with all the toppings.

I could easily eat any of the following in one sitting:

• 1.5 large pizzas
  • a whole chicken
  • 2 Bomb burritos (the almost 1lb ones!)
  • 4 cups of stir fry, especially General Tso.
  • 3 lbs of chicken wings with BBQ sauce
  • 2 packages of mac 'n cheese
  • Taco bell 7-layer burrito, burrito grande, 2 soft taco, and some chips

Now...4 ounces of whatever I'm having. And I'm actually enjoying the food more now. And I'm looooovin' it!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I'm sure we had a similar experience preparing our cupboards, fridges and freezers for post-op, right? Then that moment of panic realizing "how will I ever eat all that?" I used to buy a big bunch of bananas, eat a couple at a time. Now I buy one banana and it takes me three try's to eat IT.

I'm sure we had a similar experience preparing our cupboards, fridges and freezers for post-op, right? Then that moment of panic realizing "how will I ever eat all that?" I used to buy a big bunch of bananas, eat a couple at a time. Now I buy one banana and it takes me three try's to eat IT.

My lettuce and avocados. Once I was cleared to eat whatever I could tolerate I went and bout some. I used to eat 1-1½ head of romaine in a salad. Now I can barely eat half a leaf. I would buy avocados 2 -3 times a week. I ate at least half of one a day. Now they are sitting in my fridge and I'm worried they will soon go bad. :(

Sadly, I'm not shocked at all. I am actually surprised I don't eat these volumes of food anymore. I've been overeating since childhood. This new way of life is what's surprising to me.

Yeah, I was used to shopping for 6 people, then two of them moved out about the time I had my surgery. I remember the first time I after surgery when I went to costco, I had my hands on the 20 pound bag of potatoes, where each potato was at least a pound. Then I realized those would rot before could even eat 1 or 2 of them. It was really a little shocking to me and probably the first time it dawned on me how shopping needed to change. And then later in costco, at about a year out, I loved how I could go there for lunch on a Saturday, and be filled up after a few Snacks :)

So as a new sleever, do you ever get to eat for enjoyment again?

It's a different kind of enjoyment.

Before, I thought my "enjoyment" came from the taste of the food that I ate far too fast to really appreciate because I knew what I was doing to myself was so unhealthy. I tended to be a closet eater, sneaking in food when no one was around because I was ashamed of my habits. I "enjoyed" being stuffed but that was immediately followed by the feeling of immense guilt because I was ALWAYS on a diet, and the latest binge just chalked up another failure on my part. How humiliating it was that I couldn't even control what I was putting in my mouth.

Now I truly ENJOY making great choices that have led to a healthier me. I am no longer consumed by thoughts of food and where I will be buying my next meal. I no longer plan out where I am going to stop for a quick snack nor do I have to think about where I am going to stash the trash so no one knows about all the crap I ate all day.

I enjoy meals with my friends and family because I no longer feel all those eyes on me as either the fat woman who is pigging out with her fat friends or the fat woman who ordered just a salad (as if I was fooling anyone with that one!).

I allowed food to take me to a really unhealthy place in life, physically and mentally and now I am back to a place where I want to be for myself and my family.

So yeah, I enjoy food very much. I enjoy being in control of it instead of it being in control of me.

Half gallon ice cream, large pizza (by my self) and a large bag or Doritos with a couple glasses of milk. ... Makes me sick to think what I did to myself.

Three large plates of buffet food and at least a bite out of All the Desserts. Had to try everything! Id say 4 hours later Id be eating again.

I have also ate an entire large pizza over the course of a few hours in fear that my younger brother would eat it while I was asleep! ???? and he always did if I left it.

Im pre op and can still do that, but since starting the process of getting a sleeve over a year ago, my whole concept of food has changed completely. Hence why I have lost 70lbs so far before my sleeve.

Edited by Amina