Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tomorrow, very scared.

Hi :)

I am extremely nervous right now.

I was advised to write letters to my two young children Incase anything happens.

I am trying to do that now and can't get past a few lines without crying.

I know the odds are slim of something very bad happening, but it does happen.

How many deaths occur from the sleeve?

I think it's 1:1000 right?

I just need some help right now from you all who have had this procedure.

Were you just as nervous as I am?

I just feel terrible :(

I was ok up until about three days before. They had told me my heart was enlarged and wanted a ct done. the ct came back fine, but I was still a nervous wreck. I actually had tears coming down my face while I was in the pre-op room. Then they gave me something for my nerves. Take a deep breath and try to relax. Good luck on your surgery tomorrow, keep us posted!

Sending prayers and good vibes your way. I'm not sure who advised you to write letters to your kids, and while I can see what the intent is, it seems like something that would be quite overwhelming the night before surgery :( Hang in there and try to get some sleep.

Very normal. Any surgery can elicit this fear. But when it's elective, we start to wonder if it's worth the risk. You can survey everyone on this site and you'll be hard pressed to find someone say that it's not worth the risk. Hang in there, once it's over, you will feel so relieved.

Yes, I was very afraid. I talked non-stop in pre-op to anyone within earshot. (I was alone.) But I just kept telling myself if I did not do it I would end up disabled from obesity like my wonderful, dear mother. She had such a hard time late in life. I saw how hard it was for her. We have to avoid that if we are able. May God bless you. You are doing a brave thing.

I was nervous until I Went to lala sleep land..it's ok and normal but don't let fear consume you, you are going to be just fine! Put all that energy into preparing and healing! Your writing a letter to your kids....sweet baby Jesus no wonder why your a mess! I guess that's a good idea? I don't know I didn't do all that, Just say a prayer and have faith! Your going to make it!

Edited by Elode

Thank you all for responding.

I needed that little extra boost, the letters, I ended up writting a letter to them about their day tomorrow and when they come to see me. They are 2 and 3 1/2. I'm scheduled for surgery at 7:30am, I hope I will be feeling more like myself by 2.

I don't want them seeing me all hooked up and doped out lol

My daughter lost it when I had a foot X-ray id hate to see her face when I'm post op fresh

Good heavens, I can't imagine someone advising that, but ok... Wow what a debbie downer they are! Focus on the POSITIVE and your mind and body will follow.

I'm 14 days from my surgery and I know as the days get closer I will be scared because I have the best hubby and 4 awesome kids! I had my gallbladder out a couple months ago and I wrote letters to everyone the night before. I lived :) the fun thing was afterwards I let my kids read what I had written and they were very touched.

Don't be afraid, it's good to reflect on what people mean to you. And in the very unlikely event that something happens, you will have left something very meaningful behind. Good luck!!

yes!! its NORMAL! I was a nervous wreck I was excited anxous for myself..I had been wanting this done for yrs..did all my research had everything ready but I swear I was having every emotion imaginable...its going to be ok! its a big lifesstyle change but you wouldnt have gotten this far if you really werent ready! I had mine in July...I have went from 260 to 188...BEST decision!! my surgeon was right...the first month is the hardest..Im not going to lie about it..but Im sure you have already talked about this an your dr discussed it. but believe me...I had my doubts the first month but I lost almost 30 pds the first month! I knew then it would actually work for me...:) stick to your plan..call your dr when your in doubt..you will get thru...wish you the best an hang in there...get some rest tonight if all possible...keep us posted...for me coming out of surgery was rough..I had gas in my chest..some do some dont...I took gas x strips with me to the hospital an chapstick...I stayed 2 nights..I also had hernia repair..I spasmed in my esophagas..so I couldnt drink much..so I told my surgeon leave me another night to stay hooked up to fluids...by the end of the second day I was ready to go home...walk walk walk !!!!! drink your fluids if all possible. :)

Surgery will be fine. Your normal. I was scared to death but to this day the one thing I still remember is my erection that wouldn't go away under the gown they gave me to put on.

There will be mild dis comfort but you'll be off pain meds in no time.

Surgery will be fine. Your normal. I was scared to death but to this day the one thing I still remember is my erection that wouldn't go away under the gown they gave me to put on.

There will be mild dis comfort but you'll be off pain meds in no time.

Haha! Toooo funny pink bunies!

I pray for a speedy recovery and best wishes to you. I'm going in next month and have three children and have been so nervous and a mixture of emotions. Try to relax and know you are doing this so you can be around for them. Positive thoughts and positive outcomes! Big Hugs!

I was a hot mess the day before/morning of surgery. It's totally normal and I think a little bit of nerves are good! It shows that you know what you are getting yourself into. I think the odds of anything happening to you are way less than 1 in 1000. I can't remember the exact number but I'm pretty sure my surgeon told me it was less than 1%. I'm so excited for you! And just think- as your kids grow they will never know you as being overweight! They will only ever see you as their healthy and happy mommy :)

Please keep us posted once you are home!!