Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heyyy, anybody in the Washington,DC area?

Humm, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield federal employee and they took 3 days to approve.

I'm super impatient about it right now lol. So if I have to wait like that I may just find another doctor. Maybe at Washington Hospital Center. I would LOVE to have it done before the new year but I'm probably pushing it.

GW also told me the insurance can take up to 6 weeks but usually takes 2 weeks. So, that part matches our experience. At what stage are you?

I have Amerihealth DC (Medicaid) so I wouldn't be surprised if they take the full 2 weeks. But I'm staying hopeful that it won't. I'll ask the navigator about scheduling prior to insurance approval when I call her to let her know I did everything. My BMI is 58 so I really don't think I'll be denied.

Edited by laurenella82

GW also told me the insurance can take up to 6 weeks but usually takes 2 weeks. So, that part matches our experience. At what stage are you?

I have my psych eval tomorrow and my last NUT appointment Thursday. Then I'm ready for them to send it to the insurance company.

One thing I don't really understand is the $350 charge for some nutrition class that I have to do prior to surgery. Is that normal or just something GW does?

I'm from the Washington DC area I work and had my surgery at Medstar Washington Hospital Center

How long did it take you to get your approval and surgery date? And how long was the pre op diet?

Edited by laurenella82

Well I'm doing pretty gooda I was on medical leave for about three weeks day of surgery I was about 228 and now I'm 201. I started with my first appt in May and I was 245 so I'm down overall 44 pounds

Lauren 350.00 for nutritional classes??? That's crazy...hospital center charges you 32.00 per class, I only had to pay for three, if you have DC Medicaid it's a 6 months program once all the paper work is submitted to the insurance company the wait is less than a week or about a week.

It's $350 for one group class. The individual visits were covered. I have to get more details about it when I see her Thursday.

I don't have straight Medicaid it's Amerihealth DC an affiliate or something. But they only require 3 months.

I was actually told the $350 was a processing fee to submit the paperwork to insurance.

I agree, you won't be denied. Technically insurance has 6 weeks to respond but it's usually much faster then that. My advice to you is to follow the paper trail. Make sure your Psy eval is sent in. Don't just assume it did. My doctor took two weeks to send it in and after I called 3 times. Those evals I was told take about 2 weeks to get sent unless you stay on it. Also, any other things like labwork, etc. It took much longer to get everything in order. If all goes well and all your paperwork is in 2 weeks. I would Imagine you are looking at a February surgery date but that's just an estimate. Things may happen faster if you get lucky. Cancellations and maybe the patient navigator is on your side. She was not on mine.

I don't know what your doctor requires but my GW doctor required a 6 week diet. My understanding it is to get you used to a new way of eating and frankly to test your resolve to do this surgery. I am good with following directions and I have stuck to the plan. I wasn't too worried about it because I know myself. However, I do understand some of us may need the time to focus on a new beginning and it takes time to develop new habits. My surgeon, not with GW that ended up choosing with 2,200 procedures under his belt only required 3 days of a liquid clear diet. That's it, 3 days and it was absolutely fine. He did require that I lose 5 lbs. I was 270 when I saw him late August and was 256 the day of surgery, Oct 28th. I had to wait because of the NUT appointments required by insurance. I ended up losing 14lbs just because I was in a hurry to get going on my weight loss.

I have to tell you. It's not so hard to follow the plan after surgery because you are not hungry and your stomach won't allow you to eat too much or you get sick and throw up. Once that happens, you never, never again want to eat too much. It works like a charm. My meals are 1/4 cup, no joking. I had the Bypass but I imagine the Sleeve is very similar. On the other hand, before surgery it's very hard because you are HUNGRY.

Edited by Beni

Hi @@laurenella82,

I am in the Washington DC area. I am going through the Providence Bariatric Center, Dr. Rickford.

I don't know what your doctor requires but my GW doctor required a 6 week diet. My understanding it is to get you used to a new way of eating and frankly to test your resolve to do this surgery. I am good with following directions and I have stuck to the plan. I wasn't too worried about it because I know myself. However, I do understand some of us may need the time to focus on a new beginning and it takes time to develop new habits. My surgeon, not with GW that ended up choosing with 2,200 procedures under his belt only required 3 days of a liquid clear diet. That's it, 3 days and it was absolutely fine. He did require that I lose 5 lbs. I was 270 when I saw him late August and was 256 the day of surgery, Oct 28th. I had to wait because of the NUT appointments required by insurance. I ended up losing 14lbs just because I was in a hurry to get going on my weight loss.

I have to tell you. It's not so hard to follow the plan after surgery because you are not hungry and your stomach won't allow you to eat too much or you get sick and throw up. Once that happens, you never, never again want to eat too much. It works like a charm. My meals are 1/4 cup, no joking. I had the Bypass but I imagine the Sleeve is very similar. On the other hand, before surgery it's very hard because you are HUNGRY.

The NUT said 4 weeks. But now I'm really considering changing surgeons so I can get it done sooner.