Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum and a 2nd Grade Teacher. I was just banded a couple of weeks ago. I have a question, does pb start after you get a fill? I am suppossed to get my 1st fill the week before school starts and I am wondering if that is a bad idea. I don't want to start the school year pb in front of the kids! I didn't know you could pb on coffee! Please give me some honest advice about this- Thanks

Becca,

I never had any problems with PBing until I had my 3rd fill. The first one just slowed me down a little bit; however, everyone is a little bit different.

I would go ahead and get the fill, just be aware as you are eating and take things very slowly. Make sure to wait about a minute in between bites of food. As hard as it is to believe, that is about how long it takes me to realize if something has gone down or is stuck. You might need to have some Protein shakes on hand in case you need to eat them instead of a regular lunch.

Make sure you drink Water first thing in the morning, for me, that lets me know if I'm going to have a "tight" day or not. If Water goes down slow, then I know I need to take it really easy all day long. If it goes down find I will be okay, usually. The only times I have PB'ed on coffee are when I tried to drink it AFTER being stuck on something else. liquids typically go down fine, unless you try to drink them right after eating, at least that is the way it works with me, everyone is a little different.

Hi everyone! I am a High School Biology teacher. I love my job most days. I was banded on June 5th and will be getting my first fill in 2 days. I cannot wait. I don't have any classroom stories in reference to the band but my subject matter includes Sex Education - I could tell lots of stories!

love this forum!!!:biggrin1:

hey fellow teacher's is it me or are the back to school commericals comming on earlier this year.

Anyway, I'll be starting my liquid diet about the time we return to school (Aug. 27th) any suggestion for dealing with all the staff breakfasts and lunches. (I haven't told anyone that I'm getting banded)

Thanks.

hey fellow teacher's is it me or are the back to school commericals comming on earlier this year.

Anyway, I'll be starting my liquid diet about the time we return to school (Aug. 27th) any suggestion for dealing with all the staff breakfasts and lunches. (I haven't told anyone that I'm getting banded)

Well, everybody's different, but as for me, I told everyone. There are about 6-7 people on my staff that have had the RNY so many folks are familiar with things being different for surgery folks. During my pre-op liquid phase...I avoided the breakfasts...I LOVE Breakfast, but I just took my shakes to the lunches. Like I said, everyone's different and I currently am the test run of the band for many folks on our staff that have tried losing but don't want the RNY route. So...I'm a poster child...LOL.:omg:

Our principal was a diabetic and had to check & dose himself during lunches, so I didn't let it bother me with sharing , we're a pretty tight knit bunch.

I guess I'm an honesty is the best policy girl...

I hope this helps,

Annette

I was banded last Friday and just got a letter from my principal: starting on Monday they are having all sorts of get-togethers, all based on food of course. And, they are going to feed us during all of our in-service days before school starts! AHH..it's so hard to work in a school with a bunch of females. Everything always revolves around food! I will have to be strong and say no no no...but with no fill it will take a lot of willpower. I will start working on it right now.

I am a high school calculus, adv. math and stats teacher. I am going to be banded on 8/8. I am kindof wondering how I am going to be able to eat my lunch, go to the bathroom, etc all in 25 min. Especially if I have to chew really slow. We will see. I am hoping that I will have more energy after being banded and loosing some weight. I also coach the math team and the days we practice after school are killer on my energy.

I did my 10 day pre-op clear liquid diet in December... Right before Christmas... At a school... Plenty of food around... It was harder then anything I've done. AND, I didn't tell anyone I was getting surgery. I just told them I was trying to be good on my diet. I didn't get much pressure but it was HARD.

I figured if I could make it through that I could make it through anything. It definitely made the liquid diet post-op much easier to take.

I made sure I had plenty of shakes with me and I left any room that had food. If I did eat with someone, I just drank my shake.

Oh the dreaded back to school luncheons!!! I am so nervous about that too! I think I may keep a Slim Fast shake in my purse just in case there is nothing lap band friendly. I have decided to tell my team, and I told my AP. My skinny co-workers crack me up. One thought that I would lose all the weight in a couple of months automatically. I wish!

I already made a big mistake of eating a subway sandwich at a workshop last week. Horrible Idea- the bread felt stuck all afternoon and I was miserable. Then it was one of those jump around and move workshops where you have to discuss things with other people. I almost died! :D

Enjoy what is left of summer! Bec

Hi All!

I will be teaching 2nd grade this year after spending 5 years

teaching 4th grade. I have taught every grade from 1-8 and

really enjoy the younger ones! I teach in Los Angeles, CA.

I finished my Masters in Ed. Administration and am looking

forward to an administrative position within the next few years.

DH and I recently had a baby boy so I am holding off on an AP

job for now. I was also teaching adult ESL at night but

gave it up to be home with my baby.

Being banded has been great and my students really appreciate the

extra energy that I have now that I've lost weight, although

I've gained a bit with the baby!

I have about 40 min. for lunch but by the time I make it to the

lounge I'm lucky if I have 20-25 min. left after copying and doing

personal things. I usually eat a Protein Shake, lean cuisine,

cottage cheese or yogurt - something that won't get stuck!!!

Great thread!

Jenn

Hi , I'm a jr high music and chorus director. I went thru the pre-liquid stage and surgery in february, then a week after surgery had to take 80 kids to see a musical and eat at the spaghetti factory in st. louis missouri. I just had Soup. I let my co-workers know and they've been nothing but totally supportive. When school ended in May, they wished me good luck and said they couldn't wait to see how much I'll have lost when we start back in August. We start in 3 weeks. As far as eating at school, I try to stick to things that I know won't bother me and if we eat out together I often order soup or salad. No one really questions what I'm having. We're all too busy socializing.:) I even let my students know about it and I think they've been my best motivators since I have more energy when dancing and singing w/ them which keeps them interested in what we're working on - or they're just entertained watching someone my age act like a fool trying to do their dance moves. lol:D We do have fun tho' !

I am a teacher and I am in the EARLY stages of this adventure. I am going to be attending my first seminar this month. After all the research I feel that I have already made my mind...it will now be a matter of making sure that my insurance will cover it (they have verbally told me they do) and meeting with the doctors.

Couple questions keep coming up

-What

I am a teacher and I am in the EARLY stages of this adventure. I am going to be attending my first seminar this month. After all the research I feel that I have already made my mind...it will now be a matter of making sure that my insurance will cover it (they have verbally told me they do) and meeting with the doctors.

-What is PB?

-Anyone have a pregnancy after they were banded?

-To tell or not to tell....I don't know how I feel about telling people.

HI!

I became pregnant after being banded for about 4 years.

I had a fairly easy pregnancy except I was sick sick sick

for most of my pregnancy and lost about 15 lbs. However I did eventually gain that weight back plus a few extra and gave

birth to a healthy 8 lb. 8 oz. beautiful baby boy!

Good luck to you!!

Jenn

-What is PB?

-Anyone have a pregnancy after they were banded?

-To tell or not to tell....I don't know how I feel about telling people.

Oh, my God, I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. I am moving to a new school close to home and went there this morning to drop off some of my stuff. Well, much to my surprise I found out the teacher who was there has retired, and left me everything she ever owned. I mean, a ton of stuff. Of course I have a ton of stuff too ( 52 boxes) so now I am trying to decide what to do with all that! Aw! I am going to have to hurry up and sort thru all of it, and I can't lift weight due to the surgery, so I just left everything and came home. I will go go to the dr. on Wednesday and am hoping she will tell me I can lift weight again. Anyways, just wanted to vent. Thanks for listenig!