Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been 2 weeks since my gf has had her bypass surgery & she has bruised her hands somehow. I'm convinced it can be from her lack of Water intake because she's always sore & she drinks but I don't think it's enough. I had the sleeve so I try helping her out but she's set out on her own with saying she thinks she's doing well. So to you I ask, is it possible to get bruises on your body when you are not getting enough fluids? She probably drinks 20 oz a day cuz she says she's full. He'll I know 20 oz of water isn't enough but maybe she'll listen to you when she sees the responses... Thanks.

I am not sure about the bruising but 20 ounces is not enough Water. Everyone talks about 64 ounces a day minimum for fluids. Fluids can be any liquid including Protein shakes. The primary reason for this is to avoid dehydration.

At ten months post surgery my average daily intake is about 80 ounces a day.

Early on my NUT gave me a good tip. When I was on liquids only she suggested 4 ounces of Water an hour on the even hours of the day until you meet your goal. Sometimes drinking in small quantities is better than staring at a large container that you have to drink.

I had problems with bruising too. I think it's from the blood thinners I got right before surgery and the next two days while I was in the hospital.

I can tell you with me, I became dehydrated the first couple of weeks and was misrable. I started drinking more, and taking bigger drinks. I was so concerned about what not to do and it overcame me. Once she starts feeling slightly better, she will see what she can do and cant do. Im still learning what my body lets me eat, and what it doesnt and having to take smaller bites. Its worth it. Tell her to get those fluids in!

I have not heard anything about bruising. I would certainly have her check with her doctor. 20 oz. is not nearly enough fluids, I made that same mistake. Fluids must be your number 1 priority or you will feel the pain from it. I made that mistake a couple of times early on. The dizziness and feeling of weakness is just not worth it.

Good luck!

I am an RN, and her issues with brusing is probably due to the heparin, or the lovenox they gave her (these would be blood thinners for anti clotting). It will be that way for about a month or so, until her body balances out, and regains her clotting agent factors. Of course if there is any unexplained bleeds, or if the bruising continues past the next month or so be sure to check with your doctor. Hope this helps.

My bruising just went away and its been 5 weeks. For awhile there I hid my arms, it looked like I was beat up

Drink drink drink. I was sleeved October 6th, I have done well. Down 40 pounds, I was admitted yesterday for kidney stones, NO FUN. Apparently a new Vitamin regimen and not enough Water daily.......