Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have started the process of getting bariatric surgery. I am in month 2 of going to the nutrition meetings required by my insurance. I never really thought this would happen for me. I have been thinking of having the surgery in an abstract way for years. I always said that if I won the lottery I would do it in a heartbeat. I found out a month ago that my insurance covers the surgery if they find it medically necessary. I am type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure, higher than my doctor would like cholesterol, and I have extremely bad sciatica issues from a car accident when I was 14. It seems like every time I go to the doctor I get some new medication to add to the 13 pills I already take a day. I also have anxiety issues that I take medication for and I am currently trying to quit smoking. I know that is a lot to take one but I am a goal setter and a goal keeper.

5 years ago in 2009, I was depressed, I mean extremely depressed. My friend that I have known since I was 13 told me she worried that I was dead on the floor and my cats were eating my body. She was joking of course but, I didn't really talk to anyone for 6 months. I stopped wanting to leave my house, I had no motivation to take a bath, no motivation to do anything but lay on my couch and wish I was dead. I finally pin pointed the reason for my depression as I was stuck in a job I hated with no real way to get out because I had no high school diploma. I made a plan and a 5 year goal and a 10 year goal, I decided to get my GED at 35 and go to college. I bought books and started studying for the GED test. I came to a point where I knew I needed help because math is not my friend. I went to my local GED prep classes to get help. The process took a week to see where I was with my English and math skills. I kept taking test after test until I took the practice test and I was told that I could take the real test the following week. I passed my first try. I entered college in the fall of 2010. I will graduate next May with 2 degrees, I will graduate from the Honors Program at my school, I am a member of the Honors Society, and I have carried a 3.5 GPA the entire time I have been in school.

That was my 5 year goal. To get my GED, go to college and get a degree, find a job with good insurance so I could try to get the surgery. I think I did well so far. LOL Anyway, the second phase of my ten year plan was to get into shape and get my health where it should be. I was diagnosed with diabetes at 33. Only because I had shingles for the second time in my life and I went in for a physical.

Sorry this first post is so long but, I feel like if I get support now the next 7 months will fly by. I hope to have the surgery next summer. The point is that I make and keep goals. That is something I have been bad at most of my life but, I know that I must keep this goal in order to live a long and healthier life. It will also help with my favorite passtime of throwing pottery on the wheel. Its one of the talents I found while in school. I never knew I was talented or creative in anyway before I went to college and now I make beautiful art pieces with just my hands, some clay, and a kiln. It is my zen place, the one place where I am completely in the moment and not worrying about everything. It gives me peace.

Now I found out that my insurance provided by my state through Medicaid expansion, because I am a poor college student that moved back in with my dad at 35 so I could concentrate on school. I do work, but I work for my school and it is part time so I get the Medicaid because I am poor. I always said if I had health insurance that covered it I would jump at the chance to get it. Well here is my chance and I am going full steam ahead with it. I will be attending my local support group that is part of the program I am working; I have been having a hard time with the exercise portion of the program though. I have long standing back issues and I really have to be careful what I do because I get this horrible burning pain that shoots down my leg sometimes just from normal walking. Plus I can't afford a gym membership right now. I did look into my local rec center and it seems they have pool exercise 3 times a week which I am going to try next week.

I am not sure which surgery my surgeon will recommend for me but I am pretty sure I will ask for the bypass because of the remission of diabetes. I have been reading all about it in medical journals and I even tried to join the Cleveland Clinic study on the subject but I didn't have insurance before and they would not take me. I really am only worried about my health. I have seen what this obesity can do to a body from my mother who was 518 pounds at 53 and we had to put her into a nursing facility because she could no longer take care of herself anymore. Her story is sad, but it has a sort of happy ending in that, for her the surgery was a success and she is now living in an apartment on her own and able to take care of her own needs.

Anyway, I am Naomi and I will be posting here.

(If your read that whole thing I am really sorry, I tend to be long winded.)

Edited by Princess Naomi

Welcome! I'm glad you were able to overcome your depression. I can totally relate because I suffer from clinical depression (for several years now) and I isolate myself at home and don't go anywhere unless necessary, have no motivation to shower, workout, etc. It is debilitating. Good luck to you on this journey!

Thanks jomamacita7, The depression was totally not like me. It came on slowly and I didn't notice. Now I am not depressed at all. I love school and work is a pleasure for me.

It feels kind of weird to be on this journey to surgery, mostly because I have only told a few friends that I plan to have it. My mother would be a great resource for me but unfortunately she no longer speaks to me because of religious differences. I can't just call her anymore and ask her questions. I mentioned it to my dad once but he sings like a bird to my mother and I drew a line with her that if she wanted to know about my life she would have to ask herself. I haven't mentioned it again to him.

Crazy I know, but thanks for reading that long post.

Wow Naomi, what a courageous chapter of your life you've been living and will be embarking upon with your surgery! Your story is incredibly inspirational- I have no doubt others will be comforted and motivated by your determination to make a better life for yourself. These forums are a great source for advice, opinions, support and venting about anything & everything related to bariatric surgery- type on! We're all in your corner as you work your way toward surgery :)

Wow Naomi, what a courageous chapter of your life you've been living and will be embarking upon with your surgery! Your story is incredibly inspirational- I have no doubt others will be comforted and motivated by your determination to make a better life for yourself. These forums are a great source for advice, opinions, support and venting about anything & everything related to bariatric surgery- type on! We're all in your corner as you work your way toward surgery :)

Thanks SuzeMuze, I try to take things one step at a time so I don't overwhelm myself with the enormity of it all. When I made my goals I decided to concentrate first on getting my GED, than getting into college, then getting through my first semester, then my first year and so on. Now that the 5 year plan is almost done I am still taking things one step at a time. Tomorrow I am going to try swim aerobics for the first time. Can't wait because I do like to swim.

Good for you. You mentioned Cleveland Clinic. Do you you live in Cleveland? I'm in Brunswick and getting mine done through UH.

I am Princess Naomi. I lost the book mark to this forum and I thought I had been here before but I could not remember my user name because it is not one that I have used before. I got approved for my surgery yesterday and I am from Cleveland. I will have my surgery on August 18 at UH Parma. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I feel like now it is real and I know it will happen for me. I am the kind of person that doesn't count her chickens until they hatch and they are in my basket.

For months I have been telling myself that it may not happen and I kept telling myself not to get to excited because I might have to fight my insurance company to get approval. I didn't even have to make a peep let alone scream at anyone. My surgeon’s office called me at the end of June and said they were putting it through that week and gave me a possible surgery date of August 18. They said I needed to get one more record for them before they could submit to my insurance and asked me to get it ASAP. I went that day and requested it and I set in to wait and then have my surgery rescheduled because of delays that never happened.

Now it just got real and I am scared, excited, and nervous all at the same time. I know I won't back out, but I now have allowed myself to begin to think about life after surgery and what that might be like. I look forward to the weight loss, but I am wondering if I will have any regrets later. I hope not because I am doing this. I want my health back and diabetes can suck it!!

I worry about getting dumping syndrome, I worry about replacing clothes as I lose weight, I worry about loose skin, I worry if I will find anyone that doesn't mind my thinner and still imperfect body. I wonder if this will change the way I feel about myself. Will I like myself better or will I still deflect my body image issues with humor? What will I be if I am not the funny fat girl? Will people still like me? Will I like myself? How do you dress a body that is new to you? Will I have to wear Spanks under everything? Do they make Spanks sex lingerie?

These are just a few of the thoughts running through lmy head right now. Aggggggg!!!

PS Sorry for making 2 accounts. I am using Naomi H now.