Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY or Mini Gastric Bypass?

OKIBON -

From my bystander perspective - the miniGB looks like a sleeve with the remaining stomach left in - and the sleeve portion reconnected to the intestine like a regular by pass - my question would be (I am a sleeve at 6 months out), if the sleeve causes GERD, why wouldn't this surgery also cause GERD? if my sleeve can generate enough acid to cause gerd then the sleeve in the MiniGB sould do the same. In an RNY - the stomach pouch is a small ball shape, it is known to not cause GERD becasue there is so little of the stomach producing acid, but the mini looks just like sleeve - just curious for your sake, if you are looking to avoid GERD, then this is a question I would ask your Surgeon.

One reason I chose sleeve was that I liked that the removed stomach is the portion that generates grehlin - the hormone that makes you hungry. I can honestly say that I have not had a hunger pang since I had the surgery - I have come to realize a certain feeling when I am late to eat, but it is not the hunger I used to feel with tummy growls and light headedness. I just went on a sympathy two day liquids only diet with my husband - he was prepping for a colonoscopy and I wasn't hungry at all. So my point would be - for both RNY and MiniGB - having that stomach in there still generating grehlin, you would think you would still get hungry. I believe I read when I was studying all the options that some RNY'rs say that they are hungry but can't eat too much (a good thing) because of the tiny stomach pouch. Have you looked at this and heard anything about why this is or isn't the case?

I have finally decided on the RNY because I already have GERD pretty bad and I honestly would love to be rid of it. You raised a good question that I will have to ask veteran bypassers about the hunger issue. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Okiebon.

I did find this on hunger and the gastric bypass though if you-re interested:

The RYGB is restrictive and malabsorptive and it affects your appetite hormones.

• Restrictive: Right after surgery, the top portion can hold only about one ounce, or two tablespoons, of food. This forces you to have smaller meals you fill up faster
  • Malabsorptive: With RYGB, food doesn't go into your duodenum, which is where a lot of nutrient absorption usually occurs. Absorbing less Protein, fat and carbohydrate leads to fewer calories and faster weight loss.
  • Hormonal:1 2 changes in your hormones after RYGB can decrease hunger.
    • Ghrelin: a hormone that causes hunger and whose levels decrease after RYGB
    • PYY: (neuropeptide YY) a hormone that reduces hunger and whose levels increase after RYGB
    • GLP-1: (glucagon-like peptide 1) a hormone that reduces hunger and whose levels increase after RYGB

WOW!! Incredible Brians147!

Did you go thru the BariatricPals deal? If so we're you pleased with everything? And what are your thoughts on Dr. Ponce DeLeon and his staff?

Thanks for the information.

I didn't go thru Bariatric Pal but through a Canadian company called Weight No More Consulting. Everything went perfectly. I've never been in a cleaner, more friendly hospital than INT in Tijuana where Ponce de leon and his team work out of. I flew into San Diego from Calgary, Canada and was picked up by a driver, taken across the border to INT Hospital arriving around 1pm on a Tuesday. By 4pm I had my surgery and 45 minutes later was in my room. The entire journey was pain free, seriously...pain free. They handled the pain killers so well that I was up and walking the next morning after showering myself. The staff, nurses, and doctors were magnificent. On Friday I was released and was driven across the street to a five star hotel for the night. The next morning the same driver was waiting at the hotel to drive me back across the border to the San Diego airport. Wee had no issues at the border and it took about 15 minutes to cross.

ponce de leon is a terrific man, very professional and caring. he doesn't speak English though I'm told he can but because he's a perfectionist, doesn't. Instead his co-surgeon Dr. Freyre translates and speaks perfect English. I used google translate on my iPhone to make. Myself understood to those who weren't great with English and had a blast.

Ponce De Leon has done bariatric surgery for the past 18 years. He does four a day and has never lost a patient. I felt total confidence in this team.

Bariatric surgery in Canada is free but the waiting list is enormous depending on the province. In my province of Saskatchewan on the prairies it is a 5 year waiting list. That's criminal and since I was 57 years old, had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and GERD, and was taking 15 pills a day, I wasn't going to wait 5 years so I paid for my own surgery. It cost me $12,000.00 Canadian (about $9500 US at the time)

This as the best gift I've ever given myself. Im no longer diabetic and take no pills for anything anymore, and that's eight months post surgery. I also run 6 miles four times a week, and have entered to run in three 10k races this spring and summer. Do it! Go for it! It will change your life.

You look amazing!

I may have missed it, but how many of your meds are you still having to take? That's a big draw to this surgery for me, getting off so many darned pills.

My surgery is scheduled for March in Mexico. I'm so excited, I can't wait!

I had MGB on April 20, 2007 with Dr. Peraglie in Florida. I lost 118 lbs in 13 months and have not taken prescription meds for diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol since. My recent labs were all NORMAL. I have not had any problems since the surgery. My sister had a RNY and had severe complications requiring multiple surgeries to correct the death of her bowels - each surgery removed a little bit more - until she was finally able to move on and become healthy again.

I looked into both MGB and RNY. The MGB is both revisable and reversable. I went with MGB after researching the options. I have a great surgeon, Dr. C Peraglie in Florida. I can only say great things about the MGB and how it saved my life. Everyone's journey is different. Inform yourself. For me it was the best thing I have done for myself. I am 7 months out. Lost 89 pounds so far. I am no longer on cholesterol and Blood Pressure medicine. No longer a pre diabetic. I have great energy. Feel great! Now I can keep up with my kids.

It's my layman's understanding that RNY allows for a 2-3 oz. stomach pouch (restrictive), and bypasses 3-4 ft. small intestines (malabsorptive). The MBG allows for a 4-6 oz. stomach pouch (restrictive), and bypasses up to 7 ft. of small intestines (malabsorptive). Both surgeries remove the ghrelin producing portion of the stomach. With RNY there's chance of intestinal blockage, and with MBG there chance of bile backwash into the stomach pouch. Both have potential for dumping syndrome.

I have no reflux problems with the mgb.....I wouldnt say mgb has more acid reflux then the rny..from my research mgb was the best surgery to get and I am happy i had it over the rny or sleeve.

Did anyone have reflux problems before their MGB? If so, did the MGB have any effect on it or has it stayed pretty much the same?