Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any couple who got surgery together?

My wife and I are both getting sleeves on December 3rd. My Dr sent me for weight management, due to type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, bp, cholesterol, etc... my wife's came along to support me, and after discussing surgery, she decided to take the leep, too.

We are so close now, she still needs to lose a few pounds this week, due to some bad advice from her nutritionist, but we are both working hard to hit her goal.

Yesterday, I had an ultrasound, which revealed polyps in my gallbladder, so that will be removed, too. Hers was removed like 15 years ago, so not worried about that, either, been there, done that, and have her support, so I'm good with that. (Mostly, lol)

We won't be in the same room after surgery, apparantly recovery rooms are gender specific, but hopefully I can hang out in her room during rounds in the morning, so we can get discharged together.

Then home, to support each other with various stages of recovery, diey, exercise, etc...

Anyone else get surgery on the same day as their significant other? How did it work out?

Thanks

My husband and I both decided to have the surgery but we have a 1 year old daughter so we couldn't both be out of commission at the same time. We decided I would go first just because I don't work outside our home and it would be easier for him to take the time off work after the first of the year. I just had my surgery on 10/29 and he will be having his on 1/26. He has taken a week off to help me and it has been great having that support during recovery. He's been able to take me places just to get out of the house and to/from my post-op appointment.

Check with your surgeon what your post-op restrictions may be. Mine said that I cannot drive for 14 days, no lifting more than 10 lbs for 14 days, no stair climbing more than 12 steps per day. If DH and I were both under these restrictions at the same time, it would be hard to do if we didn't have additional help. You're both going to be having a follow-up appointment post-op so make sure you will be able to have someone drive you both and if you have your laundry on another floor (i.e. basement) that may be off limits for a about a week post-op. All surgeons instructions are different so if you can get an idea what kind yours is going to have it may help you prepare. Good luck to you both!!!

wife and I getting sleeves on December 3rd

@@cube68

there are mmmmany family members that have been sleeved at same time - or a couple of months later

husband/wife - siblings, mom and kiddo :) good friends too

i agree that it is wonderful to support each other post op :)

december is right around the corner :)

expect to deal with different emotions pre-op

excitement, nerves, joy, happiness

even 2nd guessing yourself :(

normal feelings :)

enjoy the ride :)

you are on the path to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck with surgery to you both :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My husband and I are doing this together too. We have young kids (7 and 1) so we had to separate our surgeries a little bit. I am having mine on the 13th and his is December 4th. I think it will help to have someone that knows what I am dealing with . . . plus both of us eating the same kinds of food will be the best support.

Good luck to you and your wife, I hope both of your surgeries go great and you both enjoy being healthy, lighter people.

Thanks, and good luck to you, too. We have three kids, 9 year old twin girls, and a 6 year old son. Luckily, we have my mother-in-law to help with the kids and transportation.

My boyfriend and I, (3.5 yrs) did the surgery together. We were scheduled the same day at an outpatient clinic. Due to possible complications he ended up having surgery a day earlier at the hospital instead. So he is a day ahead of me but it is really nice to have someone to go through the journey with you. Someone to also keep you in check when you want to be bad with food. And someone to help keep you on track and motivated. Good luck to you both it will be a wonderful journey!

Awwww. That is so nice..