Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former TLBC Patient (Dr. Yau) Lap-Band Removal ... Questions? Process?

Hi Everyone!!!

I was hoping for some assistance - I am not sure what to do! I am a former TLBC patient of Dr. Yau's - we've been dropped by the clinic and no longer receive support. I am completely done with my lap-band and I have been told that I can have it removed by the nurse at Slimband and have the procedure covered by OHIP.

I was hoping to get some advise from any patients of TLBC or others who had their lap-band removed in Ontario. What steps did you take? Was the procedure covered by OHIP? How long did take for you to have a surgery scheduled?

I appreciate all help!

Anne.

Anne Elliot,

i have the same problem. Im seeing legal guidance since the clinic has dropped us TLBC clients. I too am getting my band removed. My email is pwarkentin@dmarehab.com please email and i can give you the info i have.

paula

Hi, I had my lapband removed on September 22, 2014 in Toronto and it was all covered by OHIP. Had an excellent surgeon and was an easy surgery and my recovery time was only a few days. I am a former TLBC patient also who is very upset with the poor treatment that was given to us by Slimband.

If you would like any additional information, please let me know and I will give you my email.

Thx

Tasia

I am interested in getting my band removed.. Can you tell me what surgeon you had??

Thanks!

Hello,

For anyone looking, I was able to get my lapband removed and all covered by OHIP. I went to Dr. James Cyriac at Toronto Eastern Hospital and simply had a referral from my family doctor.

He was amazing and so was his receptionist, the wait wasn't very long only three months and recovery was a breeze for me.

I was a patient there. I decided to have a revision, couldn't find a doctor experienced enough in Ontario so I went to Montreal to have it done. Best thing I ever did. Am a little mad at myself for not thinking of it sooner.

On 11/6/2016 at 8:12 PM, AnneElliot said:

Hello,

For anyone looking, I was able to get my lapband removed and all covered by OHIP. I went to Dr. James Cyriac at Toronto Eastern Hospital and simply had a referral from my family doctor.

He was amazing and so was his receptionist, the wait wasn't very long only three months and recovery was a breeze for me.

Hello Anne,

I really hope you can help me out. I've had the band for about 10 years, but in the past year the band is giving me abdominal pain way too frequently. I dont think the band slipped, but it is definitely difficult everyday living with it, so I am really hoping to get it removed.

Did you have to report any issues with the band in order to have ohip cover the removal? Or ohip will naturally cover the removal of the device?

Any additional information you can give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks, please help!

On 11/6/2016 at 8:17 PM, Travelher said:

I was a patient there. I decided to have a revision, couldn't find a doctor experienced enough in Ontario so I went to Montreal to have it done. Best thing I ever did. Am a little mad at myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Hi there....did you have to pay for the revision surgery or were you able to get it covered?