Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been away and not doing well

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I have been here. Life has been so darn hectic for me with the move back to the US. I just have a lot to get off my chest, so I figured this was a good place to do it.

I haven't lost hardly any thing since I got banded. But I'm not blaming the band, it's my fault for not "working" with the band. I try to follow the rules, but I inevitable break them. I have seen my band doctor but he doesn't really say much. At the moment I am supposed to be filled to capacity. 9cc. But other then a few foods I have to avoid, I can pretty much eat what I want in the amount that I want as long as I eat slow. I'm not sure why that is since I'm supposed to be completely filled.

I have seen the nutritionist and she keeps telling me to eat several times a day, but since at work we only get 10min breaks with no lunch break its hard to eat anything, and when I get off work by 10pm, I'm starving and I eat way more then I should for dinner and then go to bed. The doctor says I can't eat dinner that late, but since I only get off at 10pm every night, I have no choice.

As far as exercise, I have been going about 3 times a week on avg to a Curves type gym.(some weeks more some weeks less) Plus the school I work in is 4 floors with no elevator and I'm always going up and down. Plus I walk about a block or so to work because thats how far away the parking garage is. I probably should exercise more regularly but at least I'm doing some exercise.

Things are about to change for me however. We are flying back to Florida on July 4th and I'm going to start a new teaching job with a normal school schedule. The apartment we are renting is in a very nice complex with lakes to walk around, tennis courts, and a fitness center. I'm hoping to take advantage of all of that. I lost some considerable weight before banding on Atkins, so I was thinking about doing South Beach when I get back. (healthier version of Atkins I've been told)

I've been very stressed about the move and about hubby adapting to American life. Plus trying to rent our place here in Portugal and selling our cars etc. I have been really emotional and depressed, and the fact that it's been over a year and I have lost next to nothing doesn't help. I'm looking forward to seeing a band doctor in Florida who is highly recommended. Don't get me wrong I have full confidence in my doctor here as a surgeon. But for any thing else...well...I have no idea what he's thinking.

Okay, well sorry this post is so long but I had to get it all off my chest. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Hi K@t. I understand completely. I haven't lost an ounce in about 3 months and it's my own fault as well. After having lost my job I was so depressed that the 2 months I was unemployed I just blew it. And now I'm having a hard time getting back to eating right again. I know I need to see my surgeon and possibly get a small fill, but I'm afraid to go and have him see how bad I've been doing. Isn't it strange how any depression or anything that goes on in our lives we end up going back to our old ways? You would think that after a while we would be able to control ourselves better.

Good luck with your move and best wishes for a great new life in Florida.

Kat, I responded to the other thread looking for Fl bandsters. I am sure that when you get into the new place, and can start a regular working out regularly, and working more normal hours you will start to drop the pounds. Do you feel any restriction? If you are totally filled maybe the band is too big. I tought the bands either held 4cc or 10 or 11cc. I would wait until you are settled and then start over. That is the beauty of the band, it is waiting for you when you are ready to start again. ~Mandy

Do you have a 10cc band? If so, you still have another cc before you are "formally" at capacity. I *think* it is Wendell on OH that has a 10cc band and I *think* he has 9.75cc in his 10cc band.

Hi K@t! Welcome back! Sounds like you've had an unsettling time of it and I hope things settle down for you once you're back in the States. Good luck with your new doctor, and keep us posted!

I think youi're headed in the right direction. You are rehearsing your new life...the fitness center, eating at the right times with the new job. I don't know how I could have done the band at all with the work schedule you've had! Keep rehearsing, visualizing, writing down what your new life will be. When you get to the lap guy in Florida, have him check for pouch dilation too. Eating basically one big meal a day might have caused a bit of dilation that the two of you can work through. Start looking forward to a fresh start.

Welcome back! The good thing about the band is that it is still waiting on us when we come back! Try making sure you get your Protein in first, that is more fill and better for you. I bet when you get in that new position things will be better. Stress always makes us do things we wouldn't normally do, so smile, today is a new and better day! Don't for get your Water too!:):P :P

Thanks for the responses guys. You know I don't know why the doc said 9cc was full. I could have sworn he told me I have the VG band which I thought was 12cc. And 9cc seems weird to me any way. And I am afraid of pouch dilation as well since I seem to be able to eat so much. I'll feel better once I get to the doctors in the US and it will be easier to communicate. I'll keep every one posted.

Alex, I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your band removal and I hope your doing well. I feel so guilty for not taking advantage of it properly when I have the chance, and here some people lose their band all together. I really need to get on the ball before it's to late.