Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Halloween Plan?

What’s Your Halloween Plan?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How do you approach Halloween and the candy that comes with it?

• Allow yourself a single piece of candy because you look forward to it for weeks.
    • Forbid yourself any candy because you know you can’t stop at one piece.
    • Take charge of the decorations and costumes so you don’t have time to go for the candy.
    • Buy erasers, magnets, and other non-candy goodies instead of candy to hand out to trick-or-treaters.
    • Give in. It’s only one night, and you want to enjoy it and fit in with your friends. Other. Explain in the conversation below!
    • Don't worry about it. Since weight loss surgery, you haven't been tempted by candy.

Im going to be handing out candy and eating none of it.

None of the above. i don't buy candy, I live out in the country/rural and nobody trick or treats here. I am going out to a big dance costume party and shake my booty all night!

Sweets aren't really an issue for me (but salty Snacks are a whole other story), so the candy for the kids is already bought & hidden from the big kid (hubby)! It is also hubby's birthday, so I will make him his no-bake cherry cheese cake (what he wants every year) too. I bought/hid the ingredients - I'm sure he assumes I won't be making it this year for him LOL

@@CowgirlJane -- My kind of girl, Jane! I'm turning off the lights in the house, locking the door and heading out to see my favorite band and burn off a few calories dancing all night. I'm wearing the Robin costume in my profile pic without the Under Armor shirt and over the knee socks (this was for an event outside and it was cold) but maybe some white tights and high heeled fierce booties. :)

Edited by Ginger Snaps

candy is not my trigger food. I bought small candies like Hershey's kisses for the trick or treaters so if I want one, it won't be so bad. Whatever is left over will come to the office with me and I'll put it in the kitchen for coworkers to eat.

I have always had candy in the house since surgery for my husband and I haven't touched it or even been tempted to touch it and I'm a sugar person.

I have my sugar free fudgeicles, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding, Quest bars, Detour simple Protein Bars or fruit and that satisfies me perfectly when I want something.

So I'm not worried about Halloween or any other holiday that includes sweets.

I live in a condo. We don't get trick or treaters. I also don't sweat having a piece of candy. My issue was never one piece of candy, it was mindless binge eating in front of the TV when bored or lonely.

I wouldn't dare open that enormous, looming, chocolate barn door ever again! I have literally eaten more candy, chocolate and sweets over the last 40 years than the average person could comprehend. I am SO happy that my surgery has taken the sugar monster away that I don't even think about any kind of sweets luring me down that path. Plus, my diabetes helps me keep keen control too. Talk about horrors, can you imagine a super nauseating sugar high, followed by a super strong dump??? ;/

We get somewhere between 400 and 600 trick or treaters. I love halloween. I make an easy to eat dinner that stays warm and everyone eats as they drop in. Probably chili. I make a version with a ton of meat and tomatoes, so it's filling and on plan for me.

We sit on the porch, sipping cocktails, eating popcorn and candy. It's one night. I don't eat candy before the first trick or treater arrives and I send whatever is left home with my kids. They have tons of cousins and friends so no worries that someone has too much. I drink a fairly low calorie cocktail, such as my version of the lemondrop, with lemon juice, splenda, and vodka. I also sip on sugar free hot apple cider.

So my plan is to limit the time I am exposed, eat a big dinner first, and have popcorn, which I also love and has way less calories. I eat more candy than I should, but with these strategies, its a fun holiday and the one time doesn't bump my weight up.

Lynda

I buy McDonald Coupons... 12 pack for $1...the kids get a free hamburger, milk, apple slices, or juice...so definately a PLUS there... Mom doesn't have to worry about what the kid is getting, and any extras I can use (apple slices) or give to my neices and nephews/neighbor kids, etc... so no candy...no temptation...no problem!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

@@BigGirlPanties I really like that idea, and might do it, too. I have not bought any candy, because I don't want it in the house until the last minute. Before I was sleeved, I would buy it "for the kids" and have to keep rebuyng it until Halloween. Even now, I don't think I would stop at just one, and so was thinking about just skipping it all together, though I don't want to be a Halloween scrooge, lol. Most sugary carbs have the ability to send me into a downward spiral that just makes me mad at myself, so eating them isn't worth the subsequent weight gain and irritation from losing control.

We live way out in the Country, no trick or treaters except the grands.. bought some candy corn the other day for the

candy bowl. it's like crack for me.. so I don't even go there. There are certain things I cannot do , like Ice Cream , Candy and sugary Desserts. I have become good at avoiding all three . Now and then on someone's birthday I do have a small piece of cake.. I do not allow anyone to leave their cake here..

We are giving out candy and taking our 2nd grader around the neighborhood for more candy. For me Halloween is a holiday to experience so it definitely qualifies as the "special occasion" I am definitely planning on having a piece of candy. And if later, I want to have another piece of candy (GASP) I will probably have another piece of candy. I will not allow myself to freak out, berate myself, or scare myself away from enjoying the occasional treat. I'll enjoy it in the moment, log it, and on Nov 1st I will not touch any of it.

@MichiganChic this is our first Halloween at this house..so I cut them up and put the apple slice coupons on the side (ok...so there are some treats for ME)... if I don't need them, I have the ones I can use... I hope I bought enough...but for 12 coupons for $1 it is definately the way to go!

Kids don't always get what it is, so I tell them "these are McDonalds coupons" and if the parent is there, I point it out so it doesn't get thrown out... But I've been doing it for years, just because I know myself and candy anyway... like you said, why start back down that rabbit hole!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I've always been a sucker for sweets. However, since I've had my band, I don't eat them that often and when I do, I can have 1 or 2 bites and then I'm done. I don't want anymore. So that one little piece of candy is more than enough to satisfy my craving. I don't deprive myself of those sweet treats because, if I do, I feel like I'm on a diet and I crave them more and actually end up eating more of them than if I just go ahead and indulge in 1 piece of candy. I do try to choose something like dark chocolate pieces that's not quite as bad and actually has some nutritional advantages over some of the other stuff.