Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Halloween Plan?

What’s Your Halloween Plan?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How do you approach Halloween and the candy that comes with it?

• Allow yourself a single piece of candy because you look forward to it for weeks.
    • Forbid yourself any candy because you know you can’t stop at one piece.
    • Take charge of the decorations and costumes so you don’t have time to go for the candy.
    • Buy erasers, magnets, and other non-candy goodies instead of candy to hand out to trick-or-treaters.
    • Give in. It’s only one night, and you want to enjoy it and fit in with your friends. Other. Explain in the conversation below!
    • Don't worry about it. Since weight loss surgery, you haven't been tempted by candy.

I don't worry about food much anymore. If I want a few pieces of what my son brings home, I'll allow it within moderation. Stressing and creating anxiety about food is one of the reasons I became obese. The cycle of eating, guilt, and repeating is vicious. For years I thought the component that needed to be removed was the food, but amazingly it was the guilt that needed to be removed. When the guilt was gone, suddenly eating in moderation became easy, I no longer binged on anything. I allow myself to have it because extremes of any type (either ultra restrictive or ultra permissive) aren't healthy.

My nutritionist told me to be real about food. She said if you are craving a piece of candy to eat one of the minis.

I have taken a nibble of a few candies, but I worry too much about dumping syndrome. I'm not ever really hungry either so when I eat I try to eat Protein rich foods and have some fruit as a snack.

Right now a few grapes are hitting that sweet spot ????

Bought a costco bagged candy to hand out to the little trick or treaters (and the oldies who don't know when to stop). Taking my three year old daughter and 37 week pregnant wife around the neighborhood. I am dressed as a doctor, daughter as a really cute butterfly. I wonder who will tire first? the wife or little one? forecast is looking dry which is better that the down pouring commute this morning. excess candy will be delivered to my co-workers as I try to fatten them up while I drop weight....oh how the tides have turned!!! :)

Not scary at all anymore. I'll probably have a piece of candy, (maybe 2)! But then I'll be "done". Perfect!

We don't give out candy any more. All we seem to get is babes in arms (the parents want the candy) or teenagers that don't even bother to dress up. I buy two big bags of candy to donate to the YMCA's "Trunk or Treat" party. It never even comes into the house, I take it straight to the Y. Halloween is movie night in our house. The outside lights stay off, the inside ones stay dimmed. Much more relaxing for everyone (especially our dog!).

I went to party city & bought stuff like you would put in grab bags for kids party's the cheap rings & things for boys & girls I really don't have to worry about candy it only applies to me when I have a craving before& after being banded , soda was my unhealthy habit before , my family will pass out candy & I know they will keep it for them & their friends , now when it comes to fruit or melons then I can have all my band will allow , so I will enjoy Halloween & all the other holidays , Happy Hallows eve & Day of the dead.

I made sausage and cheese balls and took them over to my sisters house with a couple of bags of candy. I had a few of the sausage and cheese balls and I was stuffed. I could only handle one bite sized chocolate bar for the rest of the evening. Next morning, I was down a pound!

Had a lot of fun watching the kids coming to the door in all their various costumes.

It's wonderful to see so many making good Halloween choices! Kudos!

My Halloween plan was to save money by buying early at the big box store to get much better pricing, larger quantity, and they had a really good coupon- big-time money-saving Halloween- Yay!

I bought a giant mixed bag of those itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, popular, commercial (lots of additives) milk-chocolate-based candy bars. I, of course, had 'evolved' past any desire for 0-nutritional value, over-sugared, commercial milk chocolate- Now only eating good-quality dark chocolate to satisfy my choco-attacks. What a GOOD GIRL I am! Ha!

...and there it was, calling to me, loudly, from the pantry every night. We hit the bag- just a couple- late nights. That evolved into: Well, 3, 4, 5, 6 teeny weenies don't even add up to one regular-sized candy bar. It's not like I'm eating a full candy bar (every night). :rolleyes:

When all the 'good' ones were gone, only malt balls were left. I really don't like malt balls. Never did. We ate those too. This whole self-sabotage 'project' was over the course about 2.5 weeks.

Candyless, and with Halloween just around the corner, next trip to big box store, I bought three big bags of pretzels in little bags to pass out. I have no interest in eating pretzels- at all.

Interestingly, I suggested we buy pretzels at that first round of halloween candy- buying & my companion said," Yea, but are the kids going to want chocolate? Or pretzels? I caved and bought the candy (peer pressure). I wish I'd been stronger.

Post Halloween, only about 28 little bags were passed out and I'm left with a huge, floor-sized basket full of little pretzel-bags & about 2.5lbs up. :wacko:

Tally:

I spent double the money, even with coupon.

I filled myself with unnecessary guilt & loathing

I loaded sugar, which made me crave more sugar. Vicious cycle to get out of.

Now, I Need to spend even more money (like $30) for a body-cleanse to help detox sugar

I have enough pretzels to last me 3-5yrs. I hate wasting food & money

My weight is up 2.5lbs with Thanksgiving, Xmas, & New Years right around the corner. It'll be that much harder to A) Get rid of the added weight and B) keep losing weight through the holidays.

Lesson Learned:

I come first! Doesn't matter what the kiddies prefer to get on Halloween. They're going to be zinged-out from sugar whether or not I pass out pretzels.

Bonus Take-Home Lesson:

I'm not contributing to the global obesity problem if I pass out pretzels. ;)