Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads

• Should be left as is
    • Should not be included in the Top 5 or "New Posts" area
    • Should have an ignore feature
    • Other (please explain)

I allowed multiple votes. In case more than one was wanted. If you want an ignore featur and not to show up in new posts, you can, or leave as it and Other, you can.

Neal, I'm disappointed that you did not offer the "Clockwork Orange" option in the poll. Did anyone see that movie? Do you remember at the end where they strapped the guy down in the chair and used these devices to hold open his eyelids so he was forced to view the presentation? I believe that each person on the forum should be required to use this device to view threads in the rants and raves section. Is it too late to add the "Clockwork Orange" option to the poll?

Neal, I'm disappointed that you did not offer the "Clockwork Orange" option in the poll. Did anyone see that movie? Do you remember at the end where they strapped the guy down in the chair and used these devices to hold open his eyelids so he was forced to view the presentation? I believe that each person on the forum should be required to use this device to view threads in the rants and raves section. Is it too late to add the "Clockwork Orange" option to the poll?

Mark,

That would fall under "other" I'm afraid :D

You're the best, Mark.:heh:

Perhaps there's a way for members to have, among their options, sections that are hidden or visible. When they log in and click New Posts, only the sections they have "allowed" will be shown. People might want to un-check all sorts of areas, like regional sections that don't apply, for example.

That way each person can manage their sections and therefore their view, and those who want all sections available in the view can still have them.

I just don't think this is a big deal. Like I said in the other thread, no one forces anyone to read a thread that they don't want to read. It took me forever to realize that the "top 5" was on the main page again, just because it was in a relatively inconvenient location that I hardly ever look at, down at the bottom of the page. These threads aren't thrust upon the unwary. You really do have to look for them, in most cases. Are new users likely to start out with the "top 5" or "new posts"? I wouldn't think so. I know I went from forum to forum when I first joined, reading all the threads. Unless someone is familiar with the layout of the site, the "new posts" link isn't one that most people would think, "Wow, that looks like a great place to start."

I think a possible compromise to all this would be to divide up the "new posts" page, so that people that didn't want to read a post wouldn't even have to read the name of it if they didn't want to. For example, have the new posts divided by forum, in the same order that they are in on the front page. Maybe have expansion thingies (like you have in your control center) where you can expand the sections, so people don't have to look at the stuff they don't want to. I definitely don't think the right action would be to remove the posts entirely from the "new posts" section.

And I know that some people are going to complain about being able to view the page at work without embarassment, but should they be viewing it at work in the first place? Wouldn't most people get in just as much trouble if their bosses found out that they were playing around on the internet, regardless if there was a link to a thread debating "boy-love" on the screen?

Perhaps there's a way for members to have, among their options, sections that are hidden or visible. When they log in and click New Posts, only the sections they have "allowed" will be shown. People might want to un-check all sorts of areas, like regional sections that don't apply, for example.
You beat me to it, Alexandra!
How much clearer could the title of the R&R section be? What should it say?
I personally don't think "Rants and Raves" translates to "Pretty Kittens and Puppies" or anything like that.

Maybe there should be an authorization release that people should have to acknowledge "I have read this release" when they join that explains all the forums. That way, they wouldn't be able to say that they weren't informed about what that forum is all about and they could avoid it if they wanted.

Something that I think will work now: If someone wants, for example, the entire R&R section to not show up when they click New Posts, mark the section "Read" before clicking on the New Posts button. Do that by double-clicking on the icon to the left of the forum title when you're on the main forum listing page. (Looks like a memo pad, or something.) It goes gray after you double-click it, which means there are no new-to-you posts in that entire section. Then it will be "safe" to click on New Posts and the sections you've tagged as read won't show up.

I think. :D

I still like the idea of having an option of "ignore thread" if that's possible. Some rants & raves, I like to read, others I don't, and it would be nice to be able to pick and choose which ones I see and which ones I don't. For example, I never had any interest in the "Anti-semitism in France" thread, but it was at the very top of New Posts for MONTHS.

And contrary to what Laurend said, as a newbie, I did start out using the "New threads" feature, as I was already familiar with other boards, and had been using that there, as well.

And I know that some people are going to complain about being able to view the page at work without embarassment, but should they be viewing it at work in the first place? Wouldn't most people get in just as much trouble if their bosses found out that they were playing around on the internet, regardless if there was a link to a thread debating "boy-love" on the screen?

Since I'm the "people" you are referring to I will answer your question. No... me veiwing LBT at work isn't a big deal. I do it on my own time and my boss doesn't care as long as I have my work done. But when said boss happens to come up behind me and "boy love" is on my screen it raises a few eyebrows and that privledge could be taken away. Should I have to cringe everytime I click New Posts and HOPE something offensive doesn't come up on my screen?

This is a freaking LAP BAND support site first and foremost. Have we forgotten that??