Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads

• Should be left as is
    • Should not be included in the Top 5 or "New Posts" area
    • Should have an ignore feature
    • Other (please explain)

Yes, this is a lapband support site first and foremost, and has helped many of us along the way. So much so, that many people have become friends. Many of us no longer need the advice and support as much as we did in the beginning, but we still like to be a part of this "community" and interact with the friends we have made here along the way. The lounge and R&R sections allow us to have the ability to continue to interact with fellow bandsters, while also being able to have meaningful discussions/debates about other real life issues that we all face or see every day.

Like I said before. I was trying to come up with a good compromise without creating censorship. People are acting like I asked them to cut off an arm or leg or something. Why does everyone get so defensive. If I didn't like this board, I would have left and never posted. I simply made a suggestion trying to make things better. I know from experience that I clicked on a link when I was fairly new, not paying attention to what forum it was in. It was in the New Post section and I had no clue that there was even an R&R section. Because I asked why that type of discussion was appropriate, I was scolded and told that they could say what they wanted because it was in the R&R. Lesson learned for me. I have heard this happen several times lately and wanted to help avoid this for future newbies. Sorry for hitting a nerve while trying to make this a positive place to be.

Yes, this is a lapband support site first and foremost, and has helped many of us along the way. So much so, that many people have become friends. Many of us no longer need the advice and support as much as we did in the beginning, but we still like to be a part of this "community" and interact with the friends we have made here along the way. The lounge and R&R sections allow us to have the ability to continue to interact with fellow bandsters, while also being able to have meaningful discussions/debates about other real life issues that we all face or see every day.

I am not debating that and haven't suggested eliminating that. I am trying to help the new members not immediately be exposed to it. Let them find the support they need and want and if they venture down the forums, they can join in only if they want.

My whole position is that it is a newbie's responsibility to familiarize themselves with the site. If they fail to read the names and descriptions of the different forums before reading posts, why should that be the concern of everyone else? And while you may think that your suggestion would make it "better" for you, that doesn't mean it will be "better" for everyone else. Why should we change something that works just fine the way it is? And it does work fine. The forum that a new post is in is identified on the "new posts" page, right next to the post. The fact that some people click on something before they know which forum it's in shouldn't restrict the viewing ability of everyone else.

No one is holding a gun to someone else's head and demanding that they read posts. I ignore threads that I don't want to read every day.

Let them find the support they need and want and if they venture down the forums, they can join in only if they want.
No one forces them to join in as it is.

My whole position is that it is a newbie's responsibility to familiarize themselves with the site. If they fail to read the names and descriptions of the different forums before reading posts, why should that be the concern of everyone else? And while you may think that your suggestion would make it "better" for you, that doesn't mean it will be "better" for everyone else. Why should we change something that works just fine the way it is? And it does work fine. The forum that a new post is in is identified on the "new posts" page, right next to the post. The fact that some people click on something before they know which forum it's in shouldn't restrict the viewing ability of everyone else.

No one is holding a gun to someone else's head and demanding that they read posts. I ignore threads that I don't want to read every day.

That's just it, I wasn't asking to restrict your viewing or censor you in any way, just pull it up in a different manner. To help others. Is it so wrong to want to help others?

I like the idea of being able to sort and sift threads. I don't think hiding the whole forum is necessary, but a 'hide'/'ignore thread' function shouldn't be such an issue. What can it hurt to have this option?

That's just it, I wasn't asking to restrict your viewing or censor you in any way, just pull it up in a different manner. To help others. Is it so wrong to want to help others?
It isn't wrong to help others, but this isn't helping them. If you guys don't want to look at the posts in RnR, why can't you go to the forums that you want to read a thread in? Why should I or anyone else who's happy with the status quo have to go out of our way to read new posts?

It isn't wrong to help others, but this isn't helping them. If you guys don't want to look at the posts in RnR, why can't you go to the forums that you want to read a thread in? Why should I or anyone else who's happy with the status quo have to go out of our way to read new posts?

You won't. You'll have it on your list, we won't. It's simple. Unless your recruiting for new supporters.

You won't. You'll have it on your list, we won't. It's simple.
Unless it's completely removed from the new posts section, like several of you advocate.

Your right laurend. We should keep it this way because it is conveinent for you. God forbid anyone else have an idea that might benefit this LAP-BAND site.

Your right laurend. We should keep it this way because it is conveinent for you. God forbid anyone else have an idea that might benefit this LAP-BAND site.
Grow up, please. If you didn't want discussion, you should have sent your suggestion to Alexandra privately. As a member here, I have just as much right as you to make myself heard. I am not the only person that opposes this childish idea. There are lots of us that like things how they are. Last time I looked at your nice, shiny poll, there's a pretty hefy percentage that wants it left alone.

And, IMO, this isn't benefitting anything. Should we just make changes because it would be more convenient to you? The fact is, we are ALL adults here, last I checked. If we don't want to read something, WE DON'T FREAKING READ IT.

All I would like is to see it made better. Its very disheartening to read an r and r post that goes like this:

"im new here and saw this thread, why is this here.. isnt this a lapband forum?"