Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been reading a lot on the wonders of bone broth...that it is good for digestive healing, skin, and hair. Anyone else jumped on this bandwagon? I'm hoping that it will help prevent loose skin to some extent.. lots of Gelatin and collagen to promote skin elasticity. Can't hurt I guess :-)

Bone broth makes the best Soups, and I like to drink the stock, too. Even though I take mega doses of Biotin, I had a big problem with my fingernails shredding from months two through four. That is when I found out about the nutritional benefits of Bone Broth and Gelatin. For a while I was taking my stinky horse pill Bariatric Advantage AE bariatric vitims with sugar free cider mix, but now I take them with warm sugar free Jello Water to get the extra Gelatin in my system. Right or wrong, I believe that the bone broth and gelatin Water helped me to not lose my hair. It thinned out a bit (just a stray here and there) but not the traumatic loss that I was expecting. yep...I am a bone broth fan here.

I've just started on the anti-inflammatory protocol diet this week and Bone Broth is a recommended item on the diet. I have 3 autoimmune disorders. I'm having a major flare up and my inflammation levels are extremely high. I'm going out of town this weekend but planning on making it next week.

I am a big fan of Bone Broth as well for all the reasons you mentioned. I have made batches that are frozen in 1/2 portions. These will be for whenever I am sick of Water and crave something salty. It is also delicious warm and I like to eat it like a Soup. It feels like a treat. Sometimes, I add a chunk of cabbage and a few baby carrots in the last 1/2 hour of boil. Of course I strain it really well. It adds a nice flavor twist. I also have a bag full of ice cubes I made with the broth. I'll be able to add them to anything such as vegetables for a bit of flavor

Very interesting. I had never heard it called bone broth before, but yes my Gram and Mom always made our Soup like that and I still make it like that today. It is the best medicine for just about anything and everything that ails you that's what they used to tell me and I still believe it and know it's true. In fact I think I will whip up a pot tonight!!

We all have a cold a nice pot of soup is just what the Dr. ordered :) Thanks!

Bone broths are awesome!

chicken bone broth has healing properties that help dispatch a cold quicker. Healing properties that university study-findings support.

Beef Bone Broth extracts nutrients and natural Gelatin into the Water. Have you ever noticed how beef bone broth 'solidifies' when refrigerated? it's the natural Gelatin extracted from the bones & marrow. I learned that one from my vegetarian daughter when she explained she couldn't take a supplement I'd offered her. Gelatin caps that encapsulate medicines are mostly made from beef bone gelatin. Who knew? There's some kind of French dish that Julia Childs made called beef gelatin mold or something like that. Could probably find the recipe online. Probably also excellent for hair, skin & nails

Fish bone broth is also yummy for Soups and gumbos or to cook brown rice in for added flavor in a seafood meal. It's kind of gross to make though. I usually buy a big, whole fish gutted, head on & bake or poach it. Get all the meat off for meals then pop the fish heads, back bones & tail into the pot- bring to boil, then simmer & drain. You can also save the bottom Water from steaming clams & mussels. The chefs call the infused steam-water something special but I forgot what.

I often just pop the bones in the freeze for later when I'm in the quantity-cooking mood. I make big batches and freeze them; soup-sized (gallon zip bag), rice-sized (2c in a zip bag), and in cubes, frozen in ice trays and popped into gallon zip bags- for added flavor when sautéing etc.

Frequently, I add onions, garlic, carrots & other veggies into the pot to boil with the bones. Sometimes I take the veggies out when draining, & toss em. Other times, I pop the cooked veggies into the nutribullet & liquify them & add them back into the broth for a creamed Soup texture w/out all the heavy cream calories. ;)

If I know my daughter's coming, I make a veggie broth with lots of root veggies, onions, garlic, etc. This one's particularly yummy with roasted acorn & butternut squashes, and carrots nutria-bulleted into it. Tastes SO fattening, but isn't @ all w/ no cream or butter added.

will you please explain the anti-inflammatory protocol diet? Never heard of it. I suffer from all kinds of inflammatory issues, yes, with the band but from multiple injuries, multiple ortho surgeries, plus arthritis all over literally, every joint. I bet I'd feel a lot better if I got he inflammation down.

No NSAIDS for me since I'm banded. :rolleyes:

thanks

will you please explain the anti-inflammatory protocol diet? Never heard of it. I suffer from all kinds of inflammatory issues, yes, with the band but from multiple injuries, multiple ortho surgeries, plus arthritis all over literally, every joint. I bet I'd feel a lot better if I got he inflammation down.

No NSAIDS for me since I'm banded. :rolleyes:

thanks

AIP is an elimination diet. You eliminate inflammation producing foods for a period of time (usually 2 months) and then you can sometimes add them back in. It's really strict, but I'm in such a horrible flare up, I'm desperate. Foods you can't eat: gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and nightshades. Google AIP diet for more info.

Pre-sleeve, my body was an inflammation factory and orthopedic nightmare. By the time I lost the first thirty pounds, My joints and internal systems were starting to feel better.

As far as the elimination aspect, I believe that eliminating wheat and starches, and sodas have been the biggest difference for me. Since my tummy "real estate" is so much smaller now, I really don't even have room to add crackers to chili or noodles to Soup.< /p>

Concentrating on Proteins, low-carb veggies,Water (and tea) has really helped. I don't normally eat soy, and I have not eaten anything made in a factory since I started my three month pre-op diet. Everything here is made from scratch with fresh meat and produce.

I don't see that all of this has helped my sciatica any, but my spine surgeon thinks that losing weight in general will give my skelton a break from hauling 100 exta pounds around and take the pressure off of my vertibrae.

Sympathies to all my fellow arthritis sufferers out there -- youch. My own surgeon has no problems with his patients taking anti-inflammatories (!) but I know it's not a good idea and so I stay away from either over-the-counter versions or the ones prescribed by rheumatologists who seem to have nothing else to offer. I recently started using an anti-inflammatory gel called Voltaren and I think I'm getting some relief from that. My arthritis is better with exercise and that keeps me moving -- an hour in the car and I have to get out and walk, walk, walk. I have a drink that works well for me as an anti-inflammatory -- I fill up glass bottles nearly to the top with Water then add a splash of unsweetened cranberry and a half a cup of aloe vera. Seems to help a lot, as does ginger tea. I've tried to identify particular food triggers but not much luck with that -- was off of Nightshades for almost a year (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes) but did not seem to notice a difference there. I do know other people who found eliminating those really helps them.

Last year I started taking collagen -- we get Great Lakes brand. I mix a tablespoon into my Greek yogurt along with a few nuts, a little GF Cereal, etc. (so it's not a slider for me) -- the collagen is tasteless and jacks up the Protein (six grams on top of the twelve for the yogurt).

I love cooking with homemade stock! We roast or grill an organic chicken weekly and all the bones, etc. go into the freezer bag along with veggie ends, etc. then we boil them all up from time to time to make chicken stock for Soups, sauces, etc. For dark stock (beef, lamb, etc.) the oven needs to be at 500 then put the bones in for 20 minutes to release, then into the stock pot with the veggies, herbs, etc. I always add a bottle of wine (alcohol cooks off). Freezes very well. The addition of stock into dishes made with ground meat makes it soft and yummy -- easy to swallow, etc. And so flavorful.

Thanks for a great thread! It's raining here today and maybe a good day for boiling up some chicken stock -- freezer is getting full and there are a zillion leeks out in the garden that need harvesting. Stock here we come!

Thanks for all the replies & info. I eat well; whole grains, reduced gluten consumption, homemade broths, organic vegs whenever I can, free range, etc.

I learned that spices- cumin, curcumin (sp?), curries particularly 'hot' ones, aloe vera also helps reduce inflammation. I need to go with the natural anti-inflammatories because my once Iron tummy has lately become very acidy. I had a bad bad bought with night coughs and vomiting blood so for the first time ever in my life, I have to watch out for anything that might inflame my tummy & esophagus.

I think this might be a really good thread for all of us suffering with arthritis & inflammation, who seek natural remedies.

I appreciate everyone's input! I'm learning a lot. Most importantly, that I'm not the only one with this situation: multi-ortho issues compounded with inflamed band site.

By the way on the anti-inflamatory: My son had Lyme's disease and our Family doctor recommended Turmeric as it is a good anti-inflamatory and it would give his stomach a break because he was taking such strong antibiotis Doxycycline which upset your stomach. You wouldn't want to add NSAIDS to the mixture who further upset your stomach. He had swollen painful joints.

There are two good Facebook groups for AIP diets. "Hashimoto's 411" has good information in general, but also has information for Hashimotos (thyroid autoimmune disorder) patients. "Elimination/Provocation Diet: Hashimoto's 411" is more recipe and diet specific. Pinterest is also good for finding recipes.

I've tried eliminating gluten and am just not getting the results that I want. I'm thinking that dairy and soy may be the problems.

Turmeric and a little honey make a nice remedy and delivery method for curcumin....and curries, yum. I love a good curry -- especially lamb or chicken -- and dahl has a lot of Proteins in it (lentils, etc.). I used to refrain from using coconut milk in curries because of calories, but I don't count those anymore -- just listen to my body and eat really well. Small portion world is such a luxury!

Lyme, ugh -- been there done that with the co-infections, etc. Went with plant-based herbal protocol but did have to do some of that nasty doxi -- I am finally well again, especially following WLS and getting my body kicked into healing mode. Hope your son is doing well, Beni. Sounds like you caught it early. Hard to sort out the arthritis and Lyme symptoms or other inflammation-related issues but what we are putting into our bodies makes a a huge difference.

Bandista,

Lymes is horrible. My son is 13 and went form being the healthiest boy to walking with crutches. He started meds 2 days after symptoms because he was lucky to have developed an ear infection from the cold/flu like symptoms but it wasn't until 2 1/2 weeks later that he started Doxy as the symptoms progressed. But my doctor said usually they treat children with Amoxicilin anyway. I saw three doctors because I thought he was dying. He could hardly get up or walk. Even had to get a hinged brace for one knee. But he appears to be all better.

Where your symptoms bad?