Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having trouble getting to my Protein quota set by my doctor; at least 75-85 grams per day. I have been mixing Protein powder with Protein drinks just to get more in the mornings...but, boy oh boy, the calories add up. My morning routine comes to about 516 calories. That's one serving of Chobani yogurt with 1 packet of unflavored Protein power and one Lean Body Protein shake with one packet of unflavored Protein Powder. Those three items add up to more than half of the 800 calories I've been trying to stick to as advised for these first few months. I also take a handful of Vitamins which must be worth at least 5-10 calories each.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about GENEPRO Genetic Tri-Protein Peptide. It says it contains 30 grams of protein (instanized peptide whey, hydrolyzed whey, and genetic hexapeptide protein.

Is this the kind of protein I want and need? One thing nice is that the serving size (one scoop) is much smaller than the packets like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or Jarrrow Formulas, which I have been using. Plus it's only got 15mg of sodium. But is it the "right kind" of protein????

Thanks to anyone who can whey in on this topic :)

I have a 32oz protein/fiber shake with 30-40g Protein everyday plus a Protein or whole grain bar bar with 5-20g protein. So that's 35-60g protein before even eating any meals. Then I eat 4-5 meals with protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I have no idea how many calories I consume (or carbs or fat for that matter ). My nut told me not to worry about calories, just to eat healthy. It's been a simple, basic, very easy to follow and very effective postop plan. Just what I wanted. I didn't have surgery to be on a diet the rest of my life.

My personal thoughts about limiting calories..... If I let my body get used to functioning on a low calorie diet, it will be a lot easier to regain and harder to lose once I got to goal and switched to a "maintenance" diet. But since I basically always ate whatever I wanted, when I was hungry, within reason and in moderation, that's what my body is used to so the transition to maintenance was seamless and anticlimactic. In fact, Even at 9 pounds under goal, I'm still losing and it's a daily feat to try and eat more just to stop losing. I guess one of these days I should try and track carbs/calories just to post for all the number crunchers on here.

And just FYI, our bodies can only absorb a limited amount of protein at a time. Be careful you aren't consuming more than 20g/hour to get the maximum benefit. I take 2-3 hours to drink my protein smoothie in between appointments. I've never used the GENEPRO but have read good reviews on here. I make my smoothies with Muscle Milk, Premier, unjury, Spirutein, Syntrax Matrix, Syntrax nectar, and Garden of Life products.

Edited by Kindle

I haven't been having any trouble getting about 85 grams of Protein in a day since I moved to pureed foods. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast:

EAS AdvantEDGE Protein shake

110 calories, 17 grams of protein

Lunch:

scrambled egg w/ 1/2 oz. of reduced fat cheese

154 calories, 11 grams of protein

Early Afternoon Snack:

lowfat string cheese

70 calories, 8 grams of protein

Late Afternoon Snack:

3 oz. 1% cottage cheese

68 calories, 12 grams of protein

Dinner:

Shelley's Ricotta Bake - 1/6th of total recipe (recipe on this page)

141 calories, 11 grams of protein

Evening Snack:

EAS AdvantEDGE Protein Shake + 14 grams of Now Sports unflavored whey protein

165 calories, 30 grams of protein

Obviously there's some variation in there, though I always get the two Protein shakes in (one with extra protein powder). I hope that helps!

Thank you for all the great advice. What I have been doing is focusing too much on getting all of my Protein through shakes, powders and bars, when I should be looking at getting more Protein through a good food diet and better choices based on high-protein based foods.

Thanks JamieLogical for the menu and the link. That really helps me "see" my issue. And thank you kindle for the information on protein absorbtion, because I have been trying to get it all in before 10 am or so just trying to make sure I got the protein I'm supposed to.

I really appreciate the really good perspectives I now can follow.

Another great source of Protein from food is tuna salad. I 'm 24 days post-op and still struggle a little with getting it down, so I've only had it a couple of times so far, but a 2 oz. serving has 16+ grams of protein, so it's a great way to get protein in for lunch or something. I just have to eat it SUPER slowly, so I can't really do it as a lunch on weekdays, because my lunch break isn't long enough.