Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any One Up For an Exercise Challenge?

Hey, Penni! This is great! Got my laptop hooked up at the Holiday Inn and I can actually check up on you guys. :P My exercise was walking down on Cannery Row in Monterey, CA. We went to the aquarium and shopping and tourist stuff. I'm going to try to get my butt in the fitness room later. Now I'm going to visit family.

Hi everyone, I am dustin' off the treadmill and nautulis machine but have a question here first.....how long after surgery is it OK to do sit-ups and stretches? Is there ever a chance to "pull" the port out of place by doing these things? Thanks ladies....you are all so inspiring to me.....I just can't tell you! Thanks so much for all of your daily input to this board.......it truly is a lifesaver to some of us (ME!!!)

Penni - maybe we'll do a one week challenge since I'll be seeing you next weekend. Name your game. Grrrr.

I'm so jealous of Ms. Beca out there in No. Cali!

Betty, what's your doc say about crunches? I stopped doing them altogether because I want my port incision to heal. It's all about my port incision!

I can't do any of that stuff yet, only walking. I can't even take a bath or go swimming yet! I can shower though! :P

I am still tender in my port area, so I am taking it pretty easy with things like that right now.

Hey guys trying to get into this excercize thing more and more...My mom and I (she's a RNY patient down 140 lbs) have joined a Water aerobics group for $8 a month!! It's great and we can go 4x's a week. Now as soon as I can get into the water i'll be good to go....:( It's been 6 weeks and i'm supposed to wait at least 2 months, plus my wounds are finishing closing up and I dont wanna get in the water with them open...ewww. :P I'm so excited to join you guys!!!

Katie, the Water aerobics class sounds great! Just another two weeks and you'll be able to swim (or just relax in a Jacuzzi).

Here in Chicago, our glorious early fall weather is over; we're starting the cold, gray, rainy season. I've still been walking the dog for an hour each morning, though! Last weekend I walked through a dog park with an average-sized woman about my age; after we climbed a small hill, she was winded -- and I, the classic couch potato, was breathing normally! Of course my thighs were still jiggling when I stood still.

Lisa, in a state of depression right now. See my post "I've had enough loss in one year" and you will understand. I don't think I have it in me to do a challenge right now. I barely wanna do the exercising anymore. LOL!!

I did manage to go walking this morning for only 1.5 miles. That is pitiful actually. I did that in 30 min. Which is also pitiful. I cried the whole way but no one knew cause I had on my sunglasses.

Of course my thighs were still jiggling when I stood still.

Your jiggling thighs, my waving upper arms...what a lovely picture that invokes!

Hey, Zoe, congratulations on "winding" that "average size woman"!!

Thanks, Marie. Of course my walking companion might have been asthmatic for all I know, but I'll take whatever NSVs I can get.

I bet your upper arms are flapping much less now that you've lost 50 lbs. That's a great milestone!

Will you guys help me yell at Penni? A mile is awesome. The extra 1/2 is a bonus. A 30 minute walk is incredible. Did John walk for 30 min? Did your next door neighbor? Did the bimbo at Starbucks? Did I walk this morning? No. Give yourself credit where credit is due. Everyone here is moving, we get gold stars and don't need to win no stinkin challenge to get them. *** Sprinkles fairy dust all over the pretty ladies in their gym clothes***

Off to read the other post.

Lisa you always make me smile. Love you.

I'll help yell at Penni -

Lisa is right (isn't she always?!?!?!) ANY exercise is better than no exercise. 3 miles an hour is a nice pace to set. Walking for 30 minutes a day is what is recommended by the American Heart Association and all those skinny doctors.

Let me repeat - any exercise is better than no exercise. With all you've been through lately - I would've stayed in bed for a month with the covers pulled up over my head! You are strong and you ROCK!

(there Lisa - is that what you were after???)

Penni, watch out, or you just might get an ass-kicking Fat-O-Gram (see http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3639) telling you to stop beating up on yourself. Fat-O-Gram International, Inc., has lots of enthusiastic workers eager to kick the ass of anyone who insults or denigrates a LapBander -- even ourselves.

I'm with Lisa and Kim: 30 minutes is just fine. Could you have walked for 30 minutes easily before being banded? I didn't think so . . .