Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleevers how many pounds did yu drop in the first 2 months ?

Hi I think I saw a post / forum where people talk about exactly that. And I am sure you will find answers there.

P.s. I m in Canada and we have government health care and therefore will have this covered as soon as a health problem occurs.

Hey I currently have the band but hate hate hate it n want to get rid of it always having problems.. can someone tell me what they require that would make me a candidate for revision from band to sleeve?

for me I have spent the past 3 years of fill then unfill, many test to see what was going on. I had my last son in 2011 and after his birth I ended up with 24/7 acid reflux nothing worked to help it. Plus if my band had any filling I could not eat it get liquid down. We found my band moved up just a little while I was pregnant but over all my body was rejecting it. So once I came to the conclusion it has to go, after I had put back in 90 lbs in the last 3 years that my asthma flared up, my arthritis in my knees got bad it was time to get it done.

Are you having any issues with your band?

I have gained 20 lbs since November when I had my lapband removed and the gastric sleeve done. I'm so upset with myself

How have you gained ?! What are you eating ? Are you exercising at all ?

Bad food choices and no exercise. I know exactly what I am doing wrong I need to get my head back In the game.

How about quantity of food ? I think I can eat more than most, did you end up with a larger bougie / new stomach than most because you went band to sleeve ?

Found one of the publications about the Endocrine-metabolic changes through sleeve surgery

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140326142209.htm

This article is a short take on bougie size and GERD

http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/11907/hiatal-hernias-must-be-closed-most-sleeve-gastrectomies

Thanks for the links ! Interesting reads :-)

Thanks for the links ! Interesting reads :-)

You are welcome John

Great topic, I am scheduled for my band to sleeve revision. I think the starting BMI has a lot to do with it too. I would be scared of the 44 size bougie, I really want this to be the last surgery. I get the acid problem with the band though and understand why you choose the large bougie I just do not want to risk it. I am prepared to lose slower than I did with my band, I was told revisions lose slower but your averages sound great. See you on the other side in a couple of weeks!

I didn't lose slower with sleeve...much faster actually. It depends on your starting point- I was over 50 BMI at time of revision.

It is my opinion that regardless of bougie sized you will be able to eat more quantity and more variety of foods with sleeve. That worked for me because I can eat salads etc and est more normally. I resorted to sliders with band due to pain eating dense Protein.

It is important to have realistic expectations. The trade off is that I feel I manage to eat more normally without vomiting or sliming or whatever.

Hi there I have had two bands, the last one being removed in 2011. Thinking if having the sleeve done in Czech Republic in October.

Can you tell me if this is a good decision , worried about the effects, Hair loss etc. can anyone give me some advice/ reassurance? Thank you

Hi JakeLancaster , You would not believe how many people claimed that the smaller Bougie is actually the better choice and if I would have done this blind without researching on the internet I probably would have followed their advise. But I am glad that after the moment my first surgeon (band surgeon who is retired now) suggested a revision and my second surgeon who actually did my surgery confirmed that it would be a good idea to make a sleeve when the band is removed, I started researching.

Great topic, I am scheduled for my band to sleeve revision. I think the starting BMI has a lot to do with it too. I would be scared of the 44 size bougie, I really want this to be the last surgery. I get the acid problem with the band though and understand why you choose the large bougie I just do not want to risk it. I am prepared to lose slower than I did with my band, I was told revisions lose slower but your averages sound great. See you on the other side in a couple of weeks!

I had only 2 months to make my decision. I was for hrs on the internet trying to find the newest research published by the medical world , newest studies and so on. I am glad I did!!

Because even though I value VERY much real life report from Sleevers I still think that each and everyone of us has a subjective approach, which is often mixed with emotional statements.

When I went to my last meeting with my surgeon I had a list of questions I needed to be answered by her. I made my decision depending on her answers at the end.

I asked about :

- which size of staples to use since different cases demand different staple sizes to prevent leakage

- wanted to discuss her position on oversewing or not

- and buttressing or not

- on the problem with the hourglass shape or the twisted stomach in case of an ear curve which happens to be a problem with many surgeon because of the way they staple

- on the fact that the staple line distance to the pylorus and the sphincter is crucial in regards to prevention of damage to both

- and last but not least the size of my bougie because research shows clearly that there is no difference in the success of weight loss results with bougie sizes between 32F up to 40+ F

The surgery in itself through the removal of 75% to 85% of ones stomach and therefor the reduction of the ghrelin (hunger producing hormone) production completely changes our metabolic biochemistry, which at the end causes us to lose weight.

But the fact that a smaller bougie size is proven to have a significantly higher affect on GERD occurrence and on leakage made me 150% sure that I choosing a smaller size was a risk I was not willing to take.

I can say I'm only one week out of surgery but I did not regret anything. I have no acid reflux symptoms not the slidest nor to I feel I could eat more than my fellow sleever. I am in close contact to sleeve friends who had been sleeved on the same day and when I read what they can eat and what I can eat there is no difference in size or portion.

I agree with you Cowgirljane 100% the quality of life is much higher with the sleeve than it is or was with the band. I can not count all the times I was vomiting, the permanent hunger, or almost suffocating in my sleep because of horrific GERD or feeling I would die and having to go to emergency because some kind of food got stuck again and closed my stomach that I felt I was drowning on my own saliva.

Since I have my band out and my sleeve in, I actually feel normal again..... I just feel like life is perfect and I just can only eat 2 or 3 spoons full of whatever I am eating for a meal. I feel as full and satisfied as I would have eaten 2 plates of food.< /p>

I even do not feel the desire to step on the scale every day, which I did with each and every diet or with the band.

I feel like all will come as it is supposed to be and that I will be back to my normal slim healthy weight before my illness.

It almost sounds corny but I wake up every morning thinking : OMG I am so so happy . Happy I am alive . Happy I got rid of this band. Happy I made the decision to get the sleeve. Happy I feel like I am being a fully integrated part of our social life again soon. Happy I can do stuff with my grandchildren again. Happy I can go to every normal cloths store like before my illness and before my outrages weight gain soon.

Happy Happy Happy

that me second half of my life started last Monday!!

Edited by nowornever14

Hi there I have had two bands, the last one being removed in 2011. Thinking if having the sleeve done in Czech Republic in October.

Can you tell me if this is a good decision , worried about the effects, Hair loss etc. can anyone give me some advice/ reassurance? Thank you

What I would do is just google your questions you have and you will be overwhelmed by the many reports or posts the search engine will filter out for you which have been posted on the internet exactly related to your concerns.

Or type into this website search your keywords and find the many posts specifically focused on your questions.

If hair loss is your main concern, just keep eating enough high quality Protein and you will be fine.

Yes I've been googling like crazy, just wanting a bit if reassurance really that this is a good decision . All if the posts seem positive though. Thanks for the advice

As you probably could read by my way-to-long post :) I am super happy with my decision and I can tell you I struggled to the last minute before my surgery if this will be the right thing for me.

I was not nervous and my blood pressure was at 103 to 64 .... which is really low ...so no hyper excitement there. But you know the feeling that you just can not predict what it at the end does to your own body.

But I can tell you it really is more than I had hoped for !!!

So try to cover all your questions with the people you have to turn to, dietician, psychologist but especially your surgeon. Because the better you are informed the more solid is your ground to stand on when making your final decision.

Good Luck!!