Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Overfilled??

Hey guys, I need some help, I went for my third fill yesterday. I'm not sure if I might be slightly overfilled. I can only drink clear Fluid, and very little and it feels slightly uncomfortable after I've finished drinking. Lasts about 10mins. Will the band "loosen up" over the next couple of days or do I need to call my doc? I like the fact that I feel "full" without eating but I don't want to get dehydrated either. I'm still so new to all these feelings, I don't know whats' "normal". Thanks guys.

Becca,

Sometimes it loosens up sometimes it doesn't. If you can make it through the weekend try. But if you can't keep liquids down you need to get to a hospitel tout suite.. you can become dangerously dehydrated very quickly. I know several people who thought they could tough it out and ended up on IVs in the hospital... if you are thinking you are having serious problems then you are get it taken care of right away.

You should be able to have full fluids no problems always.. and regardless of the fill unless you are staying really tight on purpose you should be able to eat solids in a decent quanity to get nutrition in.

Good luck and watch yourself... keep drinking.

Becca, Sorry to hear about your situation. I was scheduled for my third fill on Friday as well, but cancelled it because I could feel some swelling/restriction.

Hopefully it will loosen up.

Andrew

Yup, you are likely overfilled and need a small defill. The liquid should be able to go down....maybe trickle, but definitely go down and not "sit at the top" or make you feel at all uncomfortable. That is why you normally ensure you can drink like that before you leave after the fill. If it is doing that to liquid, you will have a rough time on solids...and this is all about eating "normal" food....so if you can't....well you get the picture!

As a matter of fact, while Mr Yoda was having his surgery yesterday, I had a teensy defill and had .25 ccs taken out. This was because I was too tight in the morning and unable to eat before noon (not supposed to happen) and I was sometimes starting to vomit after eating.

*peeks at Mandi*.....ahem......yes, I had a teensy defill, my friend!! (thanks for the nudge the other day). :rolleyes :phanvan

awesome, Yoda! I'm glad you did it!

And yeah, Becca, I'd give it a couple days, but keep at those liquids for sure.

Update: So I progressively got worse from last night til mid morning to the point that I couldn't tolerate water!!! I knew I was in trouble so I called my fill Dr (who was sweet enough to give me his cell phone number on the weekend!). He told me to come in and took out .5cc. What an instant relief!!!!!

The thing is I could drink the Water in the office before I left yesterday, it was slow but it went through. I drank coffee last night but that was it. I think I got swollen and the pain set in!!! OMG I have never been so uncomfortable. I was 2 hrs away from the city visiting my parents, I literally got in my jeep and flew down that highway (no tickets thank god!).

So note to self, don't get a fill on a Friday!

We are soooooo lucky Edmontonians to have Dr.Daviduck as our fill Dr. He is the absolute best, so caring, I promised I would call him and let him know how I'm doing this evening.

Thanks for all the input you guys.

Wow Becca that seems very scary and uncomfortable. I made an appointment for a fill for this coming Friday but in the last couple days I have begun to feel a bit tighter. I am wondering if I should cancel or maybe if I do go just ask for a tinsy fill. Your story has made me think harder on this situation.

Glad that things were taken care of for you though. Glad that you are feeling better. Hopefully this fill will do the trick for you and last awhile at a comfortable fill level.

Becca I had the same thing happen with my third fill i received on April 25th. I was able to drink a whole 6 oz glass of Water at the office but, as the night progressed I had that tightness in my chest, golfball like without even had eaten anything. We're told to go on liquids for 3 days after a fill but, it was getting so hard to get even water down. By 2pm the next day I had to call the office as my own spit was uncomfortable in my tummy. I went in by 4pm and had a slight unfill. It's much better now but, I have a feeling my doc took out way more than I wanted because I feel my band is looser than when I went in for the fill UGH. There is no true science or way of measuring I guess. So frustrating...one min eating more than you should to not being able to even drink then back to eating more than you think again.

Glad you made a smart decision Becca and called for the defill. Best to be safe than sorry. Don't worry 'bout it....eventually most people have an episode like that (live and learn!).

I hope this one does the trick for you for awhile!

You're doing great though, so keep it up.

:Banane43:

I swear I should really start learning from others before taking it the hard way.

Yesterday I went for a fill and it wasn't all that agressive or anything and I was able to drink my glass of Water. Anyway the rest of the day went by and I could drink Water and I had a mushie dinner. Anyway last night as I was having a latte all of a sudden BAM I couldn't get it down. I was having the worst discomfort. I thought maybe I was just swollen and after it came back up I was able to get to sleep. Anyway woke up this morning and was not really able to get a glass of water down. I called Dr. Cobourn and he met me at the hospital and hour later. He was terrific. I felt bad cause I found out I pulled him out of a golf game but I was so happy to see him and get it taken care of. Anyway I felt better after and although I am doing okay now I have to admit I am nervous to try anything other than Soup. What a crazy weekend. No more fills!

Love Dr. Coubourn though, I was willing to go to my local hospital but I have to admit I am so glad it was him. :)

I am sorry to hear about your problem but really happy to know that Dr. Cobourn was there for you!!

What happened? Did he explain why you were not able to get your Water to go down? Were you overfilled?

Do any of you get your fills while being x-rayed? I had my first one today and they did it on the moving x-ray so I could see everything going down. My doc made sure it was all good before I was able to go.

Just curious. I hear some people actually get the fills in their doctors office.

Just curious. I hear some people actually get the fills in their doctors office.

hehe, you say that like it's the "old fashioned way"! Not all of us have the luxury of having anytime access to the flouroscopy machine, so we gotta take our fills 'free hand'!

I honestly don't think having it done by flouroscope would make any difference for people who have delayed reactions (tightness) after a fill. If you can drink and drink and drink fine right after your fill... even thick liquids, that shouldn't be much different that drinking the barium during the flouroscope. I'm sure people still experience overfilling, even getting their fills under flouro. (and I'm gonna look around on here to see if my suspicions are true!)

Leslielee Dr. Cobourn seemed to think I was overfilled and so did I. I wasn't able to get down Water and that was a concern. He didn't take the whole fill from Friday out but most of it. I was at 5 and then on friday I was brought up to 5.7. I was fine but I guess it kicked in quick to the point where I was not able to get down liquid. Dr. Cobourn took out some of the fill so I was to 5.4 but I think I was still swollen and I although I was able to get some of the glass of Water down it felt bad so he took some more out so I am now at 5.2. Kind of a waste of a fill but I didn't want to take any chances.

Anyway we will see how this goes. I am in no hurry to run back for a fill though that is for sure. :eek: