Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Hi all,

I had surgery in May 2011, when I was 54. I have been at goal since March 2012. I'm 5'6". I started at 254 and I weigh 135 now.

Queen: You should definitely do the blog another year. What a gift to see the daily life of a long-term success!

As far as pre-op diets go, my plan (Kaiser Fremont) had a diet they wanted us to follow that was very similar to weight watchers. I followed that (with an extra treat here and there) till I lost 10% of my body weight. I continued to follow it for another month and half, till surgery was scheduled. Only had to do liquid diet the day before surgery.

I also quit coffee ahead of time, practiced eating slow bites using a tiny spoon and a clock with second hand. Tiny sips of Water, and drinking Water over the day instead of gulping a bunch at night to get in 8 glasses a day.

Lynda

@@lsereno

Welcome! Thinks for the tips. I've been trying to do things to prepare for surgery but giving up coffee in advance is a hard one for me.

I have a two-week preop diet (it includes liquids for Breakfast lunch ) for dinner small amount of Protein and veggies. Giving up coffee will be a doozy. Scared of the withdrawal headaches.

Congrats on reaching your goal

Queen, I set up a blog but where do you make an entry ? Kind of lost here

Lynda, you are an inspiration especially since you have been at goal weight for so long, congrats !! I too have been trying to work on changes before required. Have cut back on soda and now working in with it Water and a sugar free drink mix, like crystal light. I use Walmart's great value and it taste better than crystal light. Also like the Fuze drinks. Water, though, is the hardest, choke on it LOL. Just hate drinking it have to be very thirsty. I have a brita pitcher and that makes it taste better, but I need to get bottles of water to take with me somewhere instead of buying soda. At least I drink diet, well ok, every once in awhile I need a loaded pepsi as I call them.

Hi everyone! @ Grammy.....very exciting! I think Oct 27 was my date too! So maybe that's a good omen! Lainie....you asked about your blog....I don't think I can help......my blog was set up on WordPress....not here, so I'm sorry, I'm not sure how this was works......

I am being reinspired by each one of you......I admire all of you for making this decision. I really want to lose 5K (10 lbs) in the next two months as I have a big event to go to the end of Nov and I am determined to get into a slinky black dress!

By the way, on giving up coffee...for Kathy182.....I will say this again....(not sure if this is good for people) but I was NOT an ideal patient at all.....having said that, I was lucky because I really did not have any big eating obsessions or disorders....I just gained about 3 or 4 lbs a year over the course of 30 years.....not hard to do....so retraining how I thought afterwards was pretty easy. But, I did NOT give up coffee until 48 hrs before my surgery....and I was shocked that I didn't get headaches....and I didn't want coffee until about 3 or 4 weeks after my surgery....I only drank tea....I don't know why I didn't want coffee becasue I LOVE coffee.......now of course I can't live without it again. But you will be amazed how you feel right after surgery....don't be frightened by it...embrace that time....it's a honeymoon from food....you simply won't want it! At least that was my experience.

Lynda....thanks for the vote on my blog....I am considering it....but you are also a long term success! YOu are an inspiration to us all.

LainieG, I've not been told anything yet on 2 week liquids. She just said it's looking like Oct27. She told me she would call me back in couple weeks to let me know more.

@@Queen of Crop

Thanks! Hope I have the same experience as you with coffee. May I ask you another question? In reading your blog, it was unclear if you waited 30 minutes to drink after eating . This is another fear of mine, Going out to dinner with friends & having to wait to drink. It just seems a bit awkward.

Hi Kathy812: Good question....I'm trying to remember.....I think in the very beginning (maybe the first 6 months) when I went out to eat, I just ordered Water (in Europe you have to order it, you don't get it automatically) and I pretended to sip on it....usually my husband would just drink it. It's something I just got used to....it seems like a big deal but it really isn't. Today, 3 years later, I still don't drink much with meals.....I will have a glass of wine with dinner 5 days out of the week, but never wine and Water. (I have two day of the week that are no Cookies, no wine days...Monday and Thursdays!). I still have a hard time drinking much water and really have to work at it. My biggest challenge by far. But when I went out or went over people's house in the beginning, I just told them I was really trying to cut back and it was never an issue. Keep it simple.

To tell or not to tell ? What is everyone doing as far as telling friends and family about the weight loss surgery ? I have told my family and about 4 or 5 close friends. I can see it as a benefit in that it is support provided, but on the other hand something you might want kept private? How do you explain such a large loss in a short period of time.

I'm lucky only my adult children live here in K y. Every one of my other family members are spread around the country. Still haven't told my son (36), oh well. My daughter (35) knows and is all for it.

Hi everyone, I had surgery on 9/2/14. I chose not to tell most of my family because I knew their opinion on it. I figured what they didn't know they couldn't argue about it with me. I wanted this to be a positive journey, not about defending myself. So just my husband,, daughter, son-in law and Grand son. So far everything has been positive I go for my two week check up and nut appt tomorrow yea something to finally eat instead of just drinking. Good luck to all of you.

Thanks Sherrie and Grammy - So far those that I have told are being very supportive. I think that they have watched e deteriorate physically and realize this is my only chance to make improvements. I am very proud of them for that.

Have cut back on soda and now working in with it Water and a sugar free drink mix, like crystal light.

I really like Liption Diet Green Tea with Lemon. When it gets cooler, I like Sleepy Time tea, their Gingerbread Tea, and SF instant hot cider.

Lynda