Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you eat a low carb high fat diet after the sleeve

Hi..I am going to have the sleeve soon..the only hoop I have left to jump through is the dietician seminar and that is scheduled for September 4th. I have been reading and of course many people are giving advice..and one recommended a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" ..the science is making sense but I am 5'6" and at my first visit with the surgeon I weighed 335..so I needed to lose 193 lbs reach my goal weight of 142..I not willing to take a chance I won't lose my weight and I believe the sleeve is a tool to do that, but I don't want to be just skinny I want to be really healthy and strong. Can I do a low carb high fat diet with the sleeve?

To me, "High fat/low carb" kind of implies it's OK to pig out on fried cheese curds, bacon and Pork rinds. I think a better post-VSG diet description would be "high Protein, moderate fat, low carb". Post op I've always eaten protein first, I don't really pay attention to fat content, and I avoid simple carbs and sweets. I focused more on protein while I was losing, but since passing goal, a balanced diet of protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains has been the norm and quite easy to achieve.

Not only can you do it post surgery, I actually highly recommend it! The caveat is that you do need to really focus on Protein immediately post surgery because your body needs it to heal.

If you research low carb / high fat diets, you will find the Ketogenic diet, which has been around for a long time used in medical treatments-- not specifically for weight loss. There's a lot of current research suggesting that not only can it help with weight loss/ maintenance, it also is promising as a cancer treatment, Alzheimer's deterrent, and to manage symptoms of ALS and MS . It was originally created to treat children with epilepsy who weren't responding to medications. So, it's a medically sound diet.

I know, sounds too good to be true, right? I'm not making this up! Low carb/ moderate protein/ high fat is actually how you go into ketosis. I lost 106 lbs in the first 8 months or so after surgery, then I stalled until a month ago when I started tracking my net carbs. I have lost 10 lbs in the last month. I'm in the gym 6 days a week, strength training, and running. Because I know what you mean when you say you want to be healthy and strong! I am excited to say that I am truly becoming healthy and strong!!! :)

We grew up being told that fat is the enemy and the food pyramid we were given said we should have 6 servings of grains a day.....and now we are beginning to see this is wrong, and carbs should be limited! Of course we are going to think "ewww!" when we hear "high fat" but this is referring to the good fats -- the nuts, the avocado, the olive oil.

I started doing it to get myself to goal, but the more I research it the more I see the additional health benefits.

Here's some suggested reading:

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

and, my favorite:

http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

This plan is really working for me. Please discuss it all with your nutritionist (aka your NUT) and figure out what your best approach will be.

Edited by Momonanomo

I agree with @@Kindle in fact this is exactly the program my doctor recommends - watch your calories (I am at 800 for my sleeve age - 2 1/2 months), Protein first, vegetables second and if you can maybe a bite or two of complex carbs. No white bread, white rice or potatoes. High Fiber crackers and multigrain flax flat breads in extreme moderation.

This seems to be the charm for me so far - but I am still a newbie ;-D

I am not talking about going haywire on fries foods..I am talking about healthy days which are incredibly important according to the actual scientific data. Thank you Momonamono for the input :)