Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Read the research!

You all crack me up!

Here is the rant I tried to post last night:

Please people, read the research papers that abound on this crazy thing called the internet about WLS. You know the vitriolic, name calling arguments that ya'll have been having over carbs, band vs vsg, vsg vs RnY? There are recent and good scientific studies about the pluses and minuses. (Good, meaning not funded by a medical company and peer reviewed, etc) And those questions and statements that vsg is mostly restrictive (it's not, actually)? A couple of new studies have shown it's mostly metabolic...

I could go on and on with examples but you get the idea. Why do I care, you ask? Here's why:

When one understands fully how and why each procedure works, you can make proper choices.

If you understand that vsg is mostly metabolic and you basically get a reset then you can make choices to keep that reset. If you read that new studies show the size of sleeve (ie 34 to 40 ish) makes no difference in weight loss but does in reflux...you can have a serious conversation with your doc. How much supplementation do you .really. need if you have had RnY? It's in a study...

It's your body and health. Don't count on a surgeon you see occasionally (or nut. Or strangers on the internet) to know it all. Know it all for yourself.

There is a lot of research happening with WLS these days because the results are phenomenal. Drug companies and institutions are performing basic research because they are looking for new drugs to produce. That's good news for us!

One last note: some of the studies are dense and even with a science background I can't follow the details. However, I can follow the basic argument and conclusions. I can decide if it's a well designed study. So don't let the 20 character long molecule names stop you!

Get reading people!

Rant over.

And now you can proceed to tell me why I'm wrong (isn't that what comes next with strangers on the internet?)

Common sense. I did all my own research by reading everything I could find on the internet, watching videos, talking to the few I knew who had WLS (one lap band, 2 RNY's), talking to my endocrinologist and my PCP, then attending the informational seminar. I made my decision to do RNY based on my particular needs.

This site was invaluable for those little tips from people a few months ahead of me in my progress that were not covered in my own research or program education workshops. Just talking to a peer group who understood everything I was experiencing was comforting, too. I like sharing personal experiences, getting encouragement and sometimes sympathy (and giving it). And where else can you find someone who understands the joy you felt when you could finally paint your own toes? :-)

I have found that no matter how much research I have done that I still am finding out new things about the WLS situation. Mostly because I am experiencing them... ( no pity please ) not trying to whine either.

What I am trying to say that unless people with personal experiences don't come out with it how can you possibly know everything about the good the bad and the ugly of WLS. :)

I personally have found that the surgeons leave the possibles out unless you have them.....just saying!

I totally agree with the sentiment that these boards are invaluable for support - to get first hand experience, etc. Research studies are not first hand experience and will not remind you of your strengths when you need help, support or to connect with people who just get your journey. My point is that there is so much good data that we can avail ourselves to that actually lighten our burden. :)

My surgeon explained a lot, i researched much on my own. I have the 6 month pre op plan that ins requires and I was still not 100% sure until i joined here and started reading about everyones expieriences. Thanks to you all. I have my last hoop tomorrow (surgery class) hoping for my date soon

I sometimes think the doctors don't fully understand how and why the various WLS work in the manner that they do.

I did read up and study before considering surgery and I first decided on the gastric band... after more study I decided that the VSG WLS might give me better results--I had a lot of weight to lose. In the end, the decision was based on my doctor's recommendations. He didn't want to risk my life (considering my age and other issues) and strongly suggested the least invasive procedure would be the wisest choice for me. So far the band is working, and I am in the 50% mid bracket for predicted results. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but I do feel better and I'm happy for what I've achieved so far. I just wish we were about 25 years ahead of where we are at for understanding the causes for obesity and a cure.

I am so very happy to see posts like this. Thank you. Yes, very true. I happened to have had a doctor who appears not to know the complications from bariatric surgery. If it wasn't for the research, we wouldn't have known what the story was.

I agree with the metabolic factor. My gastroenterologist told me that both the RNY and sleeve essentially reset the metabolism. He told me that years of obesity alter your metabolism significantly. For me, 30 years at more than 250 lbs meant that I would do weight watchers, etc, eating about 1400 calories a day and starving, and I would lose 40 lbs in two or three months and then lose nothing more and start the regain. I regained all the way to 291 lbs in dec 2012. My RNY was 2/28/13 and I am down 125 lbs. I eat 1200 calories a day-- some days 1400. Still losing and I don't feel controlled by food.< /p>

My surgeon told me the exact same thing!

My surgeon told me the exact same thing!

And every damn diet increased Ghenlin production which is why one gains back even more weight than lost. For years. I thought I had become weak willed....not that I was actually hungrier.

I have to say I am quite heartened by everyone's thoughtful responses to my rant. You all inspire me. Yay!

I sometimes think the doctors don't fully understand how and why the various WLS work in the manner that they do. I did read up and study before considering surgery and I first decided on the gastric band... after more study I decided that the VSG WLS might give me better results--I had a lot of weight to lose. In the end, the decision was based on my doctor's recommendations. He didn't want to risk my life (considering my age and other issues) and strongly suggested the least invasive procedure would be the wisest choice for me. So far the band is working, and I am in the 50% mid bracket for predicted results. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but I do feel better and I'm happy for what I've achieved so far. I just wish we were about 25 years ahead of where we are at for understanding the causes for obesity and a cure.

Hooray the band is working for you. You hit the head on the proverbial head with your comment....it's not good or bad....it working...that's what matters. You did your research and made a the best decision for you with your doctor. Go labwalker go!

Common sense. I did all my own research by reading everything I could find on the internet, watching videos, talking to the few I knew who had WLS (one lap band, 2 RNY's), talking to my endocrinologist and my PCP, then attending the informational seminar. I made my decision to do RNY based on my particular needs. This site was invaluable for those little tips from people a few months ahead of me in my progress that were not covered in my own research or program education workshops. Just talking to a peer group who understood everything I was experiencing was comforting, too. I like sharing personal experiences, getting encouragement and sometimes sympathy (and giving it). And where else can you find someone who understands the joy you felt when you could finally paint your own toes? :-)

Haha...you got we with the toes....even though I can get to them...I can't see well enough with my over 40 eyes to do them...

I find it ... un nerving actually that some of the mecanisms of why WLS works isn't 100% known. ha! I do think that the VSG has a metabolic component as things have changed for me... I am 2.5 years out and my hunger has definately returned but something is very different than it was before. I seem to find that I keep that "different" active by eating a certain way (high protein/ low to moderate carb). I had the lapband previously and did not have that "change" that I have definately experienced post sleeve. I do agree with your rant though - read some studies. When I went for my initial sleeve consult they sent me home with a pile of abstracts to read and it was very helpful in developing my "understanding".

It unnerves me a little too. Will they discover in 20 years some odd side-effect? Everyone turns purple? In the meantime it's the best remedy we have for obesity... My program doesn't offer any additional learning other than a mass produced booklet that I'm sure they purchase from someone. It's a little odd too, as I'm in Silicon Valley and people are very demand around here (and not always in a good way...) about information. Glad to know some teams do offer that to their clients...

Edited by I will what I want

It unnerves me a little too. Will they discover in 20 years some odd side-effect? Everyone turns purple? In the meantime it's the best remedy we have for obesity... My program doesn't offer any additional learning other than a mass produced booklet that I'm sure they purchase from someone. It's a little odd too, as I'm in Silicon Valley and people are very demand around here (and not always in a good way...) about information. Glad to know some teams do offer that to their clients...

Well then the truth will come out for folks who didn't tell. Whoopsie daisy.

Lol. I can deal with it b

Actually, you couldn't be more right. As a scientist and WLS patient, I read all of the research. When my wife announced she wanted WLS (RNY) I tried to talk her out of it...until I went to a talk and learned about the metabolic benefits. Then I actually did my own homework and decided that I not only was an idiot for not supporting my wife (which I should have done from the beginning, but let's not talk about my own insecurities) but I needed to seriously consider it for myself (58 BMI at initial doctor visit, 32.4 today, 13.5 months post RNY).

I agree with your caveat that not everyone can read the research. Sometimes it is rewritten in a form digestible (pun intended) to non-healthcare providers/scientists, but generally it is not. I would recommend bringing a copy of any articles that you find interesting to your doctor visits. If your healthcare provider has not read it, give them a copy and ask them if they can explain it to you. They may ask for a little time to read it and get back to you, but if they are not willing, then maybe they are not the right doctor to be helping you through this life altering (in a good way, although not with out its challenges) decision.

Thanks for putting this rant out there!