Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Peanut butter during pureed stage?

I am wondering if anyone tried this at all. I start puréed tomorrow, so I did a little shopping today. Bought some Natural PB because it has a good amount of Protein in 2 tbsps...but I have not seen it on a list or heard anyone talk about it.

My Nut. guide says it is okay to have it in very limited quantity at that stage because it is typically high fat, high sugar. Natural will be the best way to go. Just watch serving size vs fat / sugar / calories

I was eating creamy peanutbutter during the puree stage. But I limited myself to no more than 2 tablespoons per day. It would have been very easy to exceed 800 cals per day by letting myself eat just a little more peanutbutter.

I ate lots of PB2 starting at puréed stage. Also added it to Protein shakes. I switched to Peanut Butter once I reached goal.

PB2 - 5g Protein, 5g carb, 1.5g fat, 45 calories

Peanut Butter (skippy natural) - 7g protein, 6g carb, 17g fat, 190 calories

PB2. Check it out and add to your shakes or mix up and put on celery!!!!!!

Hi all, I found an interesting article when I was doing some research on Peanut Butter vs nut spreads and some info on PB2 came up. What I kept finding and that low fat peanut butters are not the way to go, but less of the real thing is. Something about how low fat spreads or things like PB2 remove the good fat that Peanut Butter offers ( like that of avocados, olive oil, and nuts in general). Any thoughts?

http://smallbites.andybellatti.com/the-fallacy-of-better-peanut-butter/

Edited by GummyTummy

I totally agree. I guess it depends on where you want to get your calories while in your early weight loss stages. Good fats are definitely important. I did eat avocados in puréed stage (and still do). And once I hit goal, I purposely increased my carbs and fat. Added more whole grains and fruit, Switched to real Peanut Butter, 2% instead of skim milk, regular instead of low fat cottage cheese, ate more nuts, etc. I still use PB2 in my smoothies, though. It just mixed better than peanut butter.

I love Peanut Butter, I haven't tried it because I am scared it won't go down good because it's thick. I had a Pure Protein banana shake that didn't go down good and that was liquid, so I am definitly scared of Peanut Butter right now.

Glad to see it can be okay.

i was told no nuts or nut butter for 3 months. but my food plan is not specific to the sleeve. it was developed for bypass patients. so, it tends to be on the conservative side. *shrug*

All natural Peanut Butter (and other nut butter such as almond butter) was approved on my plan at the puree stage, but no more than 1 tablespoon per day. I liked it stirred into Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.< /p>

Im licking it slow now off a teaspoon. Today's my first day cleared to eat. It's Amazing!! Smooth n good Protein. Don't know why it wasn't on the list. Earlier, I ate the Best Egg I Ever had in My Life! ; )

I started eating Peanut Butter in my pureed stage. There was a period of time that I got into eating it everyday for added Protein but I've since stopped doing that since it was bumping my calories higher than I wanted. Now I have it as a treat from time to time or I use PB2.

I have been craving something chewable. 7 days post -op and I may just try some Peanut Butter. I have Jif sugar free.

Did your team give you a specific plan? Follow that! You just went through major, life changing surgery. If you’re feeling really hungry at this stage it’s possible that it’s actually excess stomach acid. Do they have you on a acid reducing medicine? I’d advise calling your team tomorrow to check in. 7 days out seems too soon to me for Peanut Butter, but each team’s guidance varies.