Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am wondering if anyone else has run into an issue that I have. I have been taking my measurements every month (my husband takes them, and I double-check by taking them myself), and have been losing about a half an inch a month for waist and hips. So I'm currently at 42.5 waist 51 hips. I was wearing a size 20, sometimes 1x in tops before surgery. All of my pants are now so big that they fall off.

So I tried looking at size charts online to figure out what my current size is, but they all have me at a 22 or higher! Obviously this can't be right because when I would wear 22 pants before they wouldn't stay up, and I'm a good couple of inches smaller now! But it seems that across the board, my measurements do not match those given for the charts I've looked at. I even took a class to sew my own skirt, and that came out way too big when I used the size on the package!

What gives? Has anyone else had this problem?

Women's sizes are such a mess. Despite what charts say, they vary greatly from store to store, and even from item to item. Hell, at Gap, I always wear jeans a size smaller than other pants - not because I like tight jeans, but just because their jeans just run bigger than their other pants. I think getting it right is really just a matter of trial and error. Good luck!

Clothing sizes are awful. I bought two pair of jeans from Cato several months ago, before my surgery. They were both 24s. One fit just fine, the other more like a size 20. I couldn't even get them on. I liked the design on the back pocket and I knew I was having WLS so I didn't take them back. Now that I can actually wear 20s the jeans fit.

Edited by jtickle

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this confusion! I haven't been measuring, but I did measure my waist this weekend (40-41) and looked up sizes to see what I should be and encountered the exact same confusion given that my 18s are getting baggy. No idea what the deal is, but I guess we just need to try things on and buy what works.

I decided long ago that I have to TRY not to pay much attention to the size. That is easier said than done. Most of the time I am in a slightly tight to perfectly fitting size 12 on the bottom. But I still have 14s that work. My top is all over the place as I have not lost significant boobage. But generally a L to XL. Dresses and skirts are all over the map too: I have a smaller waist, so it is all about cut.

I have one pair of size 10 jeans that fit great. in general I think the jean sizes tend to go down first, followed by less forgiving fabrics. Try stuff on; I spend a lot of time purchasing in stores and then returning what I can't use (or, sometimes, sticking it on a shelf for later.)

I feel like there is a part of me that will feel like I have figured this all out once I hit a size 10. Realistically, I'm guessing I'll start pining after a size 8.

@@veganjello by the way, I love your name! Are staying vegan all through the process?

The issue with women's clothing is that there is no standard. The other day I went to Old Navy with my husband, He needed a new pair of jeans. He picked up the fit he wanted (loose) in a 36 x 34 and bought them. Didn't bother to try them on. A 36 waist is a 36 waist, and a 34 inseam is exactly that. Meanwhile, I tried on a couple of dresses and some work out clothes in a size XXL (ON 18/20). They all fit differently. One dress was slightly tight in the hips, the other fit perfectly over my hips but was actually a bit loose in the bust. I know if I ordered something from J Crew or Gap those would also fit differently. Some brands vanity size (like J Crew). Some do not - like, bridal. A bridesmaid dress is going to be significantly smaller than a regular casual dress in the same size. Even something which does use measurement sizes - like bras, all fit differently - even from the same manufacturer. I can go try on two playtex bras in a 42C and one fits great and another is too tight.

Example: Zulily's size chart has me at a 1x (plus sizes). The bust on regular xl misses size is 36? Wow. Thats awfully small for an xl. In the real world, I wear an 8 on the bottom and an xl on top (cept Eddie Bauer. I wear a 6 and a large).

The only place I order from online is J Jill. They're the same, every single time. They run a little big also so I can wear a large on top. But in the real world, I usually wear an xl.

And order anything from China? I guess people in Asia are small. Cuz a 3x is a 38 bust. Wow. I must be a 4x cuz my bust is 40D. Lost over 100 lbs and only went from 44DD to a 40D. Went from a 22 pants to an 8. Doesn't make sense to me.

Understand ur frustration. I guess I'm just rambling now...

Okay so today I went to Dillards because they're having a sale on bathing suits 65% off. For the first time my life I wasn't scared to death of the bathing suits. I still am a little scared but not scared to death. So I tried on a number of seats and even with bathing suits you have to try them on and you have to try on every size imaginable I bought two bathing suits one a size 12 and one a size 16 go figure.

I know. I've wanted to order something for eShakti -- a dress. They do all kinds of customization based on measurements. And it's not that expensive. But the size chart doesn't seem like it could be right -- or I'm nervous that I'll get a dress and will be so much thinner it won't have been worth all the trouble. Maybe I should just go for it. You can add sleeves to sleeveless dresses and change hemlines, etc.

I never order clothes online for the same reason...sizing is all over the place. For a time, I was wearing size 14 jeans and tops anywhere from small to XL depending on the cut/style.

I have noticed though that as I go into smaller sizes, they start to stabilize. I'm in size 6 or 8 jeans now and mostly medium tops. But again..I wouldn't presume to buy anything without trying on first.

I know. I've wanted to order something for eShakti -- a dress. They do all kinds of customization based on measurements. And it's not that expensive. But the size chart doesn't seem like it could be right -- or I'm nervous that I'll get a dress and will be so much thinner it won't have been worth all the trouble. Maybe I should just go for it. You can add sleeves to sleeveless dresses and change hemlines, etc.

I have ordered from eShakti several times when I was a size 26W. Their sizes were pretty consistent.

I wish they would standardize clothing sizes! At least men's clothing is based on waist measurement, inseam, sleeve length, etc. There are no standards for women! It makes me crazy. A few years ago, I bought 3 pair of capris from Kohls, same brand, same size, same exact style (even the style number on the tag), just three different colors. One of them was way too big, one was way too small and one fit! How can that be? The only difference was the color and I ended up having to buy three different sizes!

@@veganjello by the way, I love your name! Are staying vegan all through the process?

I am actually not vegen - vegetarian - but I won't eat Gelatin. So when I kept seeing it as a recommended "food" for liquids I went on a Quest for vegan Jello. It's not very good (but I never really liked regular Jello, either).

I am actually not vegen - vegetarian - but I won't eat Gelatin. So when I kept seeing it as a recommended "food" for liquids I went on a Quest for vegan Jello. It's not very good (but I never really liked regular Jello, either).

Oh, cool! Yeah, I'm in the same boat at the moment. Lacto-ovo vegetarian (no gelatin), but I'd love to go vegan again when I hit goal. Good luck!