Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession time - soda

I will confess also: About 2x a month, when out to eat, I will have a couple sips off my husbands diet soda. A couple sips is all I need. No pain or side effects. I would never dream of ordering my own soda. Just not worth the $2 to take 2 sips. And I burp like a sailor afterwards...

Pre-surgery I was all about diet Pepsi....haven't had one since and its been 5 weeks. I tried but it actually hurt to drink it. I have noticed a big change in my taste and appetite but really I was able to give it up because it just doesnt feel good to drink soda.

I am 3 weeks post op...and dying for a coke. I am comforted by the thought that I will eventually be able to have a sip of one in the future. I know a few people with WLS who drink Soda and wine (months and years after surgery though). I just would not advise it all before your tummy is ready. I had a sip of mineral Water and it hurt!! I can't even drink them if I tried right now. That taught me and I think I will wait a good 6 months before I try again. The upside is I have now banned soda's in the house and the kids will benefit. And I miss beer too!

Edited by Menina

The only thing I ever wanted was a coke zero, I made myself wait 6 mths to have one, my surgeon was fine with it and it doesn't effect my sleeve at all... And for whatever reason I only drink it on the weekends!!!

Reminds me a story...I went to the orientation meeting with the surgeon that I ended up dumping. We walked in sipping a Diet Sprite from a straw. At the start of the presentation, he mentioned he was a gastric sleeve patient himself - I thought, "Wow, this guy went thru what I'm about to go thru. This is cool."

Then came the part out post-op living...he mentioned that we will have to give up soda and drinking from a straw AS HE IS SIPPING HIS SODA FROM A STRAW! HIs response when asked about that was, "It doesn't bother me." Interesting.

I was also a diet Pepsi addict for many years. I have been temporarily successful on other diets but never gave up diet soda. I drank it all the way up to the pre surgery liquid phase. I haven't really even been tempted post op. I probably could handle a few sips but it's more mental for me now. One habit change I never made before and am making now.

What I have been drinking is Vitamin Water zero over ice always. Helps me get in my Water and I really enjoy the different flavors. The only thing I have done is spike maybe 1/4 of my drink over ice with the diet energy drinks my husband gets.

For a little caffeine boost. But I am a little worried that's becoming habitual I just hate coffee! But the carbonation doesn't seem to bother me. Only once I didn't let it sit long enough or stir it and I felt real discomfort.

Edited by squeaker31

I hope it tastes like beer after surgery. That'll make it easy to never drink it again. :D

LOVE diet soda! The one thing I find hard to give up. Thank goodness we can have it flat.

I am with you on the beer thing - I can't stand beer. If it tastes like that to me, there won't be any soda drinking, even if it is flat.

I am still pre-op, but the biggest mental hurdle for me was giving up pop. I wasn't sure if I would be able to survive without it. I have. I started by switching to tea to get the caffeine kick. Now I am reducing the tea and focusing on Water. It wasn't nearly as hard as I had anticipated.

YES! I've started drinking Decaf sun tea and found I really like it. Very refreshing and I don't have to wait for the carbonation to go away.

I'm doing all my pre-op homework and making healthy changes. Of all the changes: exercising regularly, no snacking, staying away from processed foods, etc., the one change that gives me pause is giving up my delicious Diet Pepsi. I confess that I don't want to stop drinking it.

So I ask...do any of you that are post op drink soda?

NO. It is a CHOICE.

Mmmm...Diet Pepsi. I gotta tell you, I don't think I've even thought about it since my surgery. And this is coming from a girl who regularly drank a 2 liter bottle of the stuff every day.

@*Lexie* I was a major Diet Coke addict up to the surgery. I was so worried I would crave them and it would drive me crazy but I'll tell you... haven't wanted one, haven't craved one since, no desire for them at all. I'm not sure why -- I haven't tasted one to realize my taste has changed and I've seen them in the vending machines and see people drinking them. The desire to have one is just gone.

So -- don't stress too much -- it might end up being a non-issue.

nice thread with honest answers. I am still going thru the process now, but I quit cold turkey. The hardest part was giving up the bourbon too. what a great combo! I am sure that is the reason I got to where I am today. I figured the sacrifice is well worth it. my wls center is very relaxed and permit soda after a certain time period beyond surgery, but I am just gonna quit for good. I have transitioned into iced tea and other mixed drinks like crystal light. oh, I can't wait for surgery....

@*Lexie* I was a major Diet Coke addict up to the surgery. I was so worried I would crave them and it would drive me crazy but I'll tell you... haven't wanted one, haven't craved one since, no desire for them at all. I'm not sure why -- I haven't tasted one to realize my taste has changed and I've seen them in the vending machines and see people drinking them. The desire to have one is just gone.

So -- don't stress too much -- it might end up being a non-issue.

Ginger,

This is great to hear. It gives me hope that maybe my tastes will change post-op and I will no longer have the craving for a Diet Coke. Crossing my fingers.

As a general rule I don't order or buy carbonated drinks for myself anymore. I used to drink multiple "big hurts" at a restaurant. Loved nothing more than ordering a fountain diet coke or diet Dr. Pepper. Fortunately, almost all restaurants serve unsweetened regular or herbal iced tea. Yes, I can pour sodas out over ice occasionally, and do sometimes when I just want that taste. But since surgery? Maybe 2 or 3, total.

I did, however, bring beers and Kill Cliffs to my gym the other day to Celebrate my one-year anniversary at CrossFit, and drank half a beer with everyone else, straight from the bottle. I find that right after a workout my stomach can do things it doesn't normally do. Why? Who knows. It was a hard workout, and that made the beer DELICIOUS. But hey, I think everyone's a little different here.

I also used to love margaritas and since the surgery they're just too acidic and back right up on me. I don't know why, and not having them for 9-10 months means I don't crave them anymore.