Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any more Waldorfians out there?

Congratulations Chimboree and Chanda on getting your dates. The time will fly by so fast you won't know it. And then you will both be Bandsters!! Good luck and keep us posted.

I was just thinking about the shakes this morning Chimboree. I was thinking back to my Slimfast dayz and wondering if we freeze them just a little they may taste like a fake milkshake? Just a thought. Probably will go over to BJ's this weekend to stock up on a few different flavors........

LOL! A fake milkshake, huh? I may have to try that. I'm going to order some samples from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! and www.bariatriceating.com

From what I understand, netrition.com is cheaper. I guess I'll find out real soon.

Hello everyone. How wonderful to hear that you guys both got your surgery dates. And Chanda...I'm so glad that you like Dr. Brody and his staff. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. I go back to see him on 6/26 for my first fill. As of this morning, I have lost a total of 34 pounds. I'm so very excited. Did Jorgina make you an appointment with the nurse for your Optifast? You should do a two week Optifast diet prior to your surgery. The materials costs $322. I did not use all of my stuff. In fact, I have quite a bit of it left. You could get away with less than I did. If you don't have an appointment for that, you might want to call Jorgina and ask about it. Well...glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Keep us posted on how everything goes. I'm very excited for both of you!!!!

Tina :)

Hey Hey Hey Tina,

I Was Wondering How You Have Been!

I See The Nutritionist On June 21st To Pickup Up The Optifast. I Will Begin On Monday June 25th. So I Have 2 Weeks Until The Fast.

I Just Received My Confirmation Paperwork In The Mail And I See I Also Have To Have More Bloodwork. Do I Need To Make An Appt. For That? I Left The Paperwork On The Counter This Morning.... I Was Gonna Try To Kill 2 Birds With One Stone And Have That Done Next Wednesday When I Go For My Pre-op Class @ 2:00.

I Know You Have Not Dropped 34 Pounds In 6 Weeks?????????? That's Excellent To Say The Least. What Were You Stats (ie: Starting Weight/bmi/height, Etc.)???

Keep Up The Good Work. You Are Our Inspiration!

Take Care And Have A "keep Cool" Weekend,

Chanda

Here are my stats:

Starting Weight: 275.8

Current Weight: 241.4

My starting weight is my weight the morning that I started my Optifast diet. Prior to starting that I had a "Farewell to Food" party at my house. I ate LOTS of food. So...I have lost the 34 pounds in about 8 weeks. My goal is to lose 10 pounds a month. That's 2 pounds a week and I think that's very doable.

I'm so excited for you...

Regarding the bloodwork...what insurance do you have? I have MDIPA. I had my bloodwork done in the same building that Dr. Brody's office is located. It's on the basement floor (I think). Also...when you call to do your pre-registration over the phone, they will ask you about it. The little pre-op class that you have to take is pretty good. There are people in there that are having gastric by-pass and when sitting in there, it just made me think how lucky I was that I wasn't having that. They show you all kinds of things. What tubes you will have in you...where you will be staying...how long you'll be there. The nurse that did our class (Mariam) was VERY nice. She ended up being my nurse the morning that I left.

Do you work in DC? How do you get to GW? Luckily, I work in DC and I take the metro right over whenever I have an appointment. It's right off of the Foggy Bottom stop.

I thought that I had my information with me here at work and I was going to give you the numbers for the blood work appointment and the pre-registration. Unfortunately, I don't have that with me. You can call next week and get all of that taken care of. Well...great to hear from you. Keep me informed.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I just love GW and Dr. Brody!!!!!

Tina :biggrin1:

How tall are you Tina? 275 to 241! I would give up a leg for that progress (just kiddin). I was about 305 in Dec/Jan. and I have somehow managed to start working out a lunch and eating right (on and off again)...and I was down to 285 at my first appt. with Dr. Brody. So I am hoping by July 9th I can work a miracle and drop another 10 pounds. The more the better.

I will have to call on Monday. I will get that bloodwork completed ASAP. I just was thinking also somewhere I read that we need an EKG. But I don't think anyone has requested that??? Should I also double check with the nurse??? Yes. Mariam is the nurse who call yesterday to confirm my pre-admission appt. She sounds really nice.........

Unfortunately, I am not downtown anymore. I work in Rockville at FDA. So I either drive or take the metro from Branch Ave. (depends on which Chanda wakes up on which side of the bed in the morning).....smiles

No really with gas prices going thru the roof, I am going to try to take the train down to the hospital for my appts. Since my first visit I came out to a nice ticket, you think I should have learned something from that.

Have you read Khadilah Ali's book (she Muhammed Ali's daughter). It was excellent. She was over 300 and now somewhere around 150. She had the Lapband surgery back in 2004 and is also doing quite well with it.

See ya,

Chanda

WOW...you are doing a great job of losing weight right now. That's something to be very proud of. I am 5'4" - 5'5". I want to lose about another 101 pounds. I would love to be in a size 10. You never know...it could happen.

As far as the EKG goes...I had to have one but that's because I already see a cardiologist for a heart problem that I have had since I was 2. If you don't already see one and if you have no reason to see one, I don't think that you need to have an EKG, but you could check with them. I can't believe that I'm going to have a fill in 3 weeks. I'm a little nervous about it. I have heard that it doesn't hurt, but I'm still nervous. I will tell you that I have great difficulty eating a sandwich. It hurts and it's just not worth it. It's weird because some people say that they have no restriction at all until they have about 3 fills. I can't imagine what I'll be like after 3 fills if I already have restrictions.

Well...let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!

Tina

I am about 5'8" and what your mama calls "Big Boned". So my goal is to get under 200. Anything beyond that, you will find me kissing a mirror somewhere. And kissing the scale too for that matter......

Ok. I will check on the EKG, but I understand now.

Are you joking about the sandwich deal? That's unbelievable for us who don't know what it feels like to have band! No wonder you may be in a bikini before the summer is out (smiles)...

I am loving the fact that you are already getting what I call "Out of the box" results from your band. Maybe Dr. Brody will say you don't even need an adjustment??? BTW, are your fills covered by your insurance???

Yeah...I think that I'm in that "big boned" category myself. Everyone says that I don't look like what the scale says.

Anyway...it's really weird because some folks feel no restrictions without getting fills, but I do. I have talked to someone else who had the surgery by Dr. Brody and she did too. Maybe he does something different from other doctors. Who knows...all I know is that the pounds are going down on the scale and that's making me quite happy. I have completely changed my way of eating. I eat lots of fish, chicken and turkey. I also eat salads, drink Water and eat the 100 calorie snack packs. Although...I have also had McDonald's, Dominos and others...

Jorgina told me that my insurance does cover my fills. I guess I'll find out in three weeks. I look at it this way...they covered the surgery...if I have to pay a couple hundred dollars a couple of times a year...I can deal with that. It's much cheaper than paying for the entire surgery.

I had to call Jorgina this morning. My last scab fell off yesterday. My incisions are healing very well, but when the last scab fell off...there is white string coming out of my stomach. I'm not trying to gross you out...don't worry...anyway...she said that it will disolve and if it doesn't within a week to call her back. So...for right now, I kind of look like I was put back together with a needle and thread. Oh well...

Tina

Tina,

Trust me you won't gross me out. I have had a baby, a breast reduction, and my appendix out all within the past 5 years. So this one I am ready for.

I definitely agree with you on the fills........If BCBS wasn't gonna cover it, you know I was headed on the first plane to Mexico!

So congratulations to the 2 of you with dates! clap2.gif

I attended a seminar last Thursday night up in Rockville with Dr. Barry Green. I am left with a lot of questions even asking several myself.

I had no idea that forever you will only be able to sip liquid in 1 ounce increments every couple minutes nor that you will have to cut your food up into almost infant like size and take a bite every couple minutes as well. Are these extreme directives or will it vary from person to person?

Why do we choose lapband over bypass? As odd as this sounds I think I might be more confused than I was thursday morning.

And chimboree, maybe we will meet sometime! cool.gif

Hey Neighbor,

I don't think that the sipping and baby bites are FOREVER. Alot of the precautions are for post-op when your mind and body both have to get adjusted to the band.

But let's let some of the veterans help us with this one?????????????????

Chanda

Chanda,

The sipping and baby bites are FOREVER! I am two year out and cannot guzzle a drink. It take time cause you sip on it. Your pouch is very small especially if you have gotten filled to a sweet spot. So you can only get but so much down there at at time. And yes, I still cut my food up in small pieces and I chew and chew and chew until its like mush before swallowing. Once you have a PB episode you dont try to repeat it. Its not fun at all. Hope this helps you newbies.

Wow Tanya,

Thanks for your help on this one.............

I keep getting mixed info. And my next door neighbor just had gastric so I really can't compare her outcome to ours.

I guess I better SLOWWWWWWWWWW down now.

Thanks again,

Chanda

P.S. Big Silly please ask some of your other questions so that we both can gain clarification.

P.S.S. Tanya, I see that you are STILL losing. That is a blessing!

Chanda,

Yes I am still losing. My weight loss has been slow but has been steady. Dr. Brody really went aggressive with my last fill and since that fill I have lost 28 pounds. Even though the weight loss has been slow I think it really gives you time to realize how you are suppose to eat and for me it gave my body time to re-adjust. I dont have any loose skin. I could tone up a bit but for the most part I am very very happy with my results.