Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled and frustrated

I was banded on 4/18. Weighed 283 on the day of surgery. I lost 10 pounds the first week then virtually nothing until after my second fill. Today I'm down 30 pounds but not losing much at all.

I've got 2ccs in my 4cc band, and in having trouble getting in to see my surgeon for what will be my 4th fill. I've had virtually no nutritional guidance from my surgeons office.

I know I need to restrict my calories more. Those of you in the "green zone" , what is your goal for daily calorie consumption and do you feel deprived when you stick to that?

With my band half-filled, shouldn't I be feeling more restriction? I was told that at optimal fill, I likely wouldn't be able to eat solids in the morning, until my band loosens later in the day. I wake up starving most mornings and have no problem eating early.

You sound on track, 30 pounds, three months. You are still in a healing mode, some even gain during this time, so you can be proud of what you've accomplished. This is a time to begin to learn what your body tells you and learn to work with the band. I had virtually no follow up support from my surgeons office, but if you go back, read old posts, you will find a wealth of information and support here. Personally, until I was adjusted a few times, I did feel hungry until reaching that green zone . Try having Water or a hot drink to get you through that feeling. Eat your three meals a day, you may have to start later in the morning. Eat your one cup of food, starting with Proteins. You will most likely, get to a point where you rarely feel hunger, and at times, have a difficulty getting in the Protein you need to keep the "fat fires" burning. Good luck! Never give up!

You should fill satiated, or full, after having a meal. And that feeling should hold you for at least four hours.

My instructions were 1200 calories a day, Proteins first, and carbs second. And, I was told to try for at least 80 grams of Protein, or more.... no less than 60.

I think you are doing great so far, 30 pounds is a bit of weight.

Kudos on losing 30 lbs in three months. It took me a lot longer to lose that amount. Your body is going to periodically go through plateaus so that it can adjust to the amount of weight you've lost. Once that happens depending on your calorie intake, you will start losing again. Don't worry you're doing fine. Congratulations!!

Edited by Lady VS

@@futureformerfattie I'm sorry that you have not had better support from your Doctor's office. With WLS and especially with the lapband follow up support is so important.

You are still very new to the band and your body is still adjusting as mentioned above. Give yourself a chance, the lapband does not work the way other WLS work there is no malabsorbtion component to it so what ever you put in is going in and staying in and working through you system the way it always did. The only difference is that now you have a smaller opening at the start of your digestive track which slows down the process of food as it passes through the stoma.

If you are eating foods that pass easily through the stoma you are not engaging the lapband. The foods will slide right through and you won't even know you had them and you won't be getting any signals from your band to you brain to tell you that you have eaten enough, and or are not hungry for more food.< /p>

My first question to you would be what are you eating? You want to choose solid foods that take some time to cut and chew and swallow. You want to use a fork and knife when eating and put those down after eat bite and chew chew chew. It should take you 20 minutes no more and no less to eat your meals.

If you are still eating after 20 minutes you are eating into the next meal, if you are finished before 20 minutes are up then slow it down. Download a timer or use an egg time and pace yourself as you eat.

Plate out your foods using smaller plates, don't over fill, slow down cut and chew those bites and when your 20 minutes are up get up and get away from the table or the food.

After an hour drink some Water, and if you are hungry again 2 hours after you have had a meal and had some Water, ask yourself if you are truly hungry, does your body need the fuel? Or are you overfilling the gas tank? If you need it eat it. Have a light snack and see how long you go till your next meal. If you find you are not able to go 3-4 hours between meals you may need a tweak to your band and more fill.

You will get there. 30 pounds is nothing to sneeze at and you are not in a stall, you just are learning how to work in harmony with your band and like any good long term relationship, even if it is love at first sight it will take work to make the relationship last and thrive.

Best of luck to you and let us know if we can offer any advice or support, that's why we are here :)

Perfect lisacaron!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sometimes it's nice to know I'm not alone in this journey. I go back to my surgeon for my fourth fill next week, so hopefully I'm on my way to finding the right amount of restriction.

Hello! Been off for a while. Banded in 2012. 23 lbs from goal and I've been the same weight for one year. This band really is the tool so you don't regain. Most everything else take hard work and dedication. Maintaining is a piece of cake and easy. I just wish I was maintained 23 lbs less. Who cares, I'm a rock star either way and I'll get there when I quick jerking around!

love this topic. I went yesterday and went on scale. lost one pound this week. puts me at 29 for last 5 weeks. I was a bit angry not more but I have learned through the message board this is just a body adjustment. diet has not changed exercise increased instead of decreased. I will be traveling for two weeks and able to exercise more but eat out EVERY Night. I have learned how to eat out and what slides down easy, so 30 pounds that is great , marathon not a sprint......