Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jumped the Gun..?

So, tonight, I went to meet a friend for dinner. We went for Mexican.

Now, being on mushies, as many of you know, is a somewhat limited experience. Especially when you're going out for dinner. I felt bad for the waiter... didn't want him to think I was cheap for ordering a side order of refried Beans.

So I ordered an appetizer of flautitas (like taquitos). The outside was very crunchy, the inside was filled with very finely ground beef. I chewed it really, really well and had absolutely no problems. (I realize this wasn't the healthiest food option, but it seemed like the only other thing on the menu I could digest.)

The issue is this: I'm not supposed to go onto solid food for another 1.5 weeks. I had my surgery on April 9th. Technically, I'm just starting mushies. But if you chew something sooooo well, doesn't it really just become a "mushy" in your mouth?

I just intend to go back onto mushies and wait for solids... or can I just keep going with solids since I didn't have any problems?

Just curious if anyone else jumped the gun like me.

I did the exact opposite of that. I stayed on Mushies for alot longer than I had to. I was wanting to make sure that I didn't risk stretching my pouch or more importantly return to bad habits. In my opinion I would return to the post op diet and wait for the solids, you don't want to as you said, Jump the gun and have complications, Good luck with the rest....POPT

You know, this was a fair question. Essentiallty, what copywronger was asking was whether his comfort/discomfort level was an indication of healing/readiness. I've wondered the same thing myself.

No need for sarcasm, IMHO.

Sorry, but I'm with Jack on this one.... It was a fair question, and here's why copywronger is getting this type of response:

There are SO many people that don't follow their surgeon's instructions. While many surgeon's post-op orders vary, you should always follow your own surgeon's instructions. Seems like every other post is someone jumping the gun and moving to mushies or solids before their surgeon recommends it, and then wondering if they "messed up" their band.

And just because you don't "feel" any discomfort or anything unusual, that does not mean that you haven't caused a potential problem for the future. And if you didn't have a problem this time you strayed from your post-op orders, that doesn't mean that you won't next time.

It's better to err on the side of caution, imho.

Well, I'm strictly on mushies again... just realizing that eating out during this phase is really too hard to do for me. I think I won't go out again until I'm officially on solids.

I agree with being cautious although I did the same thing and ate a piece of cheese pizza. Circumstances were I had no power in my house for two days due to a blizzard and didnt want cold Soup so I opted for the cold pizza. Anyway, I had no problem as well. My Dr had told me that the post op instructions were a "guide" and to use common sense. When I feel ready move on... those were his exact words. Now I am not saying to move on or not... just what my Dr told me. I am not going forward with solids yet as I still feel I need to be on mushies and the pizza was a one time deal!

....do you suppose your surgeon's directions might be a wiser choice? Why would he have you waste time with his instructions if THIS were a better way?

good luck in your journey

Yep, what Jack wrote.

Don't worry about being cheap. Who cares what your waitor thinks of you? (esp. when it's coming between you and your sugeon's instructions).

Eating out may be difficult for you, indeed, if looking cheap to your service staff is at the top of your list of concerns. I've ordered just a Water or some piddly side item as my meal more times than I can count. You're either going to do a lot of eating at home, or going to have to buck up and get acquainted with sides and mini portions. ;)

Wheetsin, usually I don't really care about what waiters think...but even some of them are living in $2500/mo apartments here in NYC. I used to be a hostess, so I do empathize.

Might just leave a bigger tip for my scrawny order. If I feel the service was deserving of it...

By the way -- also a question about feeling full -- how full did u ever feel while on mushies? I've been feeling pretty full.

If you get/feel too full, could that cause problems for the band?

I cheated also, I 'm so ashamed. I ate some fish and to much of it.

We have been out of town and went to my dads friends house and they were cooking fish We sat down. And My dad told the man I could not eat but I felt I would insult them by not eating. and it looked so good I just blew it. I have a vg band but I'm still scared I felt some discomfort for about 5 min but did not throw-up. I chewed it up to a mushie state but it was not my greatest moment.

<p>I hear you 396power.I was banded on 4-9-07 started mushies Monday. I am having a hard time finding things to eat.My nutritist told me not to have Soups, grits,oatmeal,pastas, mash potatos,rice. She told me I could have flankly fish, tuna, eggs, yogurt, bery moist chicken, cold cuts just chew my food really good.She said I didn't have to blend my food just eat slow. I am feeling bad after I eat.I am scared I am eatting too much,for lunch I had a baked chicken thigh and 2 tlbs of spinach. When you are use to eatting so much at one time.Its hard to know what is the right amount of food when 2 oz is all you can have at one time.</p>

I have no will power. I have been eating what ever I want. And that has been going on since 8 days out of surgery tomorow is day 14. and some times I eat to much I need help.