Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jalil Illan with Baja Bariatrics and Omar Acosta - A Warning

Thanks for STALKING LIPSTICKLADY!!!! Looks like you are Susan's b***h! If you don't have friends here and you didn't have surgery in MX, why are you here?

This is a violation of our forum's rules. Please do not attack people personally, or it could result in you being banned.

Thank you.

It is nice!!!

Thanks for STALKING LIPSTICKLADY!!!! Looks like you are Susan's b***h! If you don't have friends here and you didn't have surgery in MX, why are you here?

This is a violation of our forum's rules. Please do not attack people personally, or it could result in you being banned.

Thank you.

At this point, this post was extremely comical.

You really have no right coming on here and speaking against someone and tarnishing their reputation with secondhand "information." If there is any merit to the complaints that you claim to know about, those patients should contact Dr. Illan or the hospital he works in and file a formal complaint. Your post is nothing more than spreading malicious rumors at this point. You can play the role of savior and martyr all you want but just know that this is a very unprofessional way to solve a problem like this, if there even is a problem.

Another thing........If you just wanted to protect vulnerable women, why do you need to gather up credible friends to support your posts? Why not just say your concerns and answer the responses? Why get your fiancee to post in agreement with you? Seems so odd and childish to me.

I am very sorry that all of you feel the way you do. As stated before, my goal here is simply to make people aware and hopefully help someone avoid being in a similar situation. have the letters from the patients, they have the copies of the texts, emails, etc. If you want to accuse me slander, libel or anything else, you may. I have been aware of wrongdoings since last September, and am just now sharing based upon evidence gathered.

Once again, for those of you who had a good experience, and I don't deny, there are many, I couldn't be happier that you did. And, I truly mean that. But, understand, not everyone has had the same positive experience as you. With many victims of any form of abuse, they are often afraid to come out and speak for themselves. This thread shows good reason why, because people would be attacking them, stating it was somehow their fault. They are in a very fragile way right now, emotionally speaking, and some are in therapy. The last thing they need is a group of people attacking them and saying "I had a wonderful experience, he was a perfect gentleman with me, so you must be telling lies, what is wrong with you."

I will not apologize for the fact that I have made a lot of connections in the bariatric community, and that in the process, I have learned a lot, good, bad and otherwise. I could keep what I know to myself, but what kind of person would that make me? It would make me the kind of person who is afraid of others, and afraid to stand up for what is right. I would be an accomplish, condoning their actions if I just stand by and allow it to happen. I won't name names, but one of the very people who condemned me in this thread actually messaged me thereafter admitting she knows what is going on and is friends with one of the people, yet she chastised me on here. I am not that kind of person. I care about people. I want people to have good experiences. I won't have knowledge of things that are completely inappropriate and turn a blind eye to it. You can be a part of the problem, or a part of the solution. I choose the latter.. This thread has done what I set out to do, which is bring awareness to an inappropriate situation. Maybe, just by bringing it to light, Omar will take heed and redeem himself and change his ways. I knew from the onset his supporters would attack me, I expected it, I expected accusations to be made against me and have not been disappointed. I am not here to defend myself. I am here to defend the woman who are the victims.

Have a nice evening all.

Edited by heather1979

Oddly, Whitney hadn't posted since March, coexist hadn't posted since 10/2013 and the last poster just joined. Seems like the troops were called in! I gave no claim in this game as I didn't have surgery in MX and am not friends with anyone in this thread, just pointing out a coinky-dink just as Janey was. :D

If anything, this thread has certainly increased membership and encouraged resurrection of members from long ago.

Most of Baja Bariatric's patients are on the Facebook page Team illan. I was notified earlier today through that Facebook page about this thread. There is no doubt that there are enough people that follow and support baja bariatrics that when you post something like this, the word will get out and you are going to get feedback. To say something to the effect, "people are going to support this company because there are so many happy patients" and then when they do.... you say "see I told you so" is probably one of the most ridiculous tactics I've ever seen.

My point is, expect more people to negate this post than support it. There is safety in numbers. There wouldn't be this much support for this surgeon and company if they weren't as good as they are.

Once again, no one has stepped up and said "this horrible thing happened to me".... But plenty are saying they've had and heard nothing but good.

I have no problem with reinforcements being called in honestly. I'm just pointing out the irony of someone making an issue of a newbie supporting the OP but not all the newbies or "resurrecties" supporting the other side. :D Again, I don't have a stake in this game, but I do find the thread interesting.

I do have a problem with personal attacks in either direction. I think the inability to discuss an issue respectfully (and without profanity) is very telling. It takes away from the validity of the poster and makes them look quite foolish.

Why do I find this thread interesting? Right after I had my procedure, a young lady who was a member here had an affair with her doctor (or coordinator) while in Mexico. She spoke of it here, was upset when he dumped her, and was raked over the coals by his supporters. It was ugly. She then retracted her statements claiming she made it up just to stop the abuse from other members. It was heartbreaking. I know it happened to her because I heard about the affair before the " break up". I saw her emails about it, the texts, the discussions with other patients who were in Mexico with her, etc. She was "slut shamed" into retraction and that scares me for his future patients. Why do women do that to other women?

I'm nobody's reinforcement. When this thread was linked on FB and I saw the claims, I felt the need to speak for myself and my experience. It's as simple as that. I know the surgeon and coordinator being slandered. I'm pretty sure Bill the fiancee doesn't know jack about Dr. Illan or Omar from personal experience. That's why his presence here is in question.

Oddly, Whitney hadn't posted since March, coexist hadn't posted since 10/2013 and the last poster just joined. Seems like the troops were called in! I gave no claim in this game as I didn't have surgery in MX and am not friends with anyone in this thread, just pointing out a coinky-dink just as Janey was. :D
If anything, this thread has certainly increased membership and encouraged resurrection of members from long ago.

Most of Baja Bariatric's patients are on the Facebook page Team illan. I was notified earlier today through that Facebook page about this thread. There is no doubt that there are enough people that follow and support baja bariatrics that when you post something like this, the word will get out and you are going to get feedback. To say something to the effect, "people are going to support this company because there are so many happy patients" and then when they do.... you say "see I told you so" is probably one of the most ridiculous tactics I've ever seen.
My point is, expect more people to negate this post than support it. There is safety in numbers. There wouldn't be this much support for this surgeon and company if they weren't as good as they are.
Once again, no one has stepped up and said "this horrible thing happened to me".... But plenty are saying they've had and heard nothing but good.

I have no problem with reinforcements being called in honestly. I'm just pointing out the irony of someone making an issue of a newbie supporting the OP but not all the newbies or "resurrecties" supporting the other side. :D Again, I don't have a stake in this game, but I do find the thread interesting.

I do have a problem with personal attacks in either direction. I think the inability to discuss an issue respectfully (and without profanity) is very telling. It takes away from the validity of the poster and makes them look quite foolish.

Why do I find this thread interesting? Right after I had my procedure, a young lady who was a member here had an affair with her doctor (or coordinator) while in Mexico. She spoke of it here, was upset when he dumped her, and was raked over the coals by his supporters. It was ugly. She then retracted her statements claiming she made it up just to stop the abuse from other members. It was heartbreaking. I know it happened to her because I heard about the affair before the " break up". I saw her emails about it, the texts, the discussions with other patients who were in Mexico with her, etc. She was "**** shamed" into retraction and that scares me for his future patients. Why do women do that to other women?

I don't support **** shaming. What two consenting adults do between themselves is their business. However, making statements that impact a person's professional reputation and their business have serious economic ramifications. The lady that you are speaking about was sharing her personal experience and had the proof to back it up. This thread is someone who lacks personal experience and who lacks proof to support her claims. If a libel suit was brought, Susan would have to prove that the second hand information that she has is true.

She posted in another thread warning a potential patient away from Dr. Illan based on what Omar may or may not have done. If Dr. Illan was to pursue legal action, it could also affect this board as this was where the information was posted. This thread truly does more harm than good.

Edited by Kooky1

So all the pre-op prospects should just take that as gospel? Seems pretty thin to me when there's a business and some reputations on the line. I mean seriously. This is ridiculous.

I suspect that if Susan claimed it and Alex, the board owner, approved of her posting this topic, she has proof. I may be wrong, but neither of them strike me as unaware of the ramifications of posts like this.

Ok, then let them show proof that Omar did something illegal.  Show us it was something other than 2 consenting adults and an affair that ended badly.  Right now all we have is Susan saying 'because I said so because I heard something' and her fiance/herself posting to support her point.  Feel free to share the evidence.   I think that is reasonable to ask for.  

So all the pre-op prospects should just take that as gospel? Seems pretty thin to me when there's a business and some reputations on the line. I mean seriously. This is ridiculous.

I suspect that if Susan claimed it and Alex, the board owner, approved of her posting this topic, she has proof. I may be wrong, but neither of them strike me as unaware of the ramifications of posts like this.

Of course not. I wouldn't take anything I read on a public message board as gospel. That would just be plain silly.

Well, when you are trying to decide on a surgeon in Mexico, the kind of statement made by Susan holds a lot of weight. It's just really not fair to Dr. Illan. I'm sure you can understand why I feel that way.

Of course not. I wouldn't take anything I read on a public message board as gospel. That would just be plain silly.

That is exactly what I way thinking!!!!! Funny how she can get away with saying whatever the hell she wants

Another Dr Illan patient here...

Omar was very supportive and professional when I had my surgery in December. I went alone, was with Omar alone, and his behavior was completely professional.

I had a bit of a complication and the Dr and Omar were kind and helpful. I had some follow up questions that were promptly addressed.

My husband subsequently returned for a sleeve and Omar was again very helpful. In the 8 months I've been in the patient support group, I have seen one or two women who seem overly consumed with Omar. So I'm sure there are two sides to any story...

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time with Omar on each trip and I was never uncomfortable. Just my two cents...

I am a patient of Dr. Illan. I went with my husband. I just want to say that Omar was professional and friendly while I was in Mexico. I found all the doctors there to have charm about them but I never felt that I was being picked up on and just felt that was a cultural difference.

I will also edit to say that Omar was so busy trying to take care of all his patients that I reminded him that he needed to eat, drink, and take care of himself. I do not know where he would find the time honestly.

Edited by BrandNewBrandy