Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jalil Illan with Baja Bariatrics and Omar Acosta - A Warning

Many of you on here know me well, I have been a part of these message boards for years. I love our members and I want only the best for them. Therefore, I can not in good conscience keep this to myself any longer.

Dr. Illan is a wonderful surgeon. In fact, when I used to coordinate, for a while I actually referred patients to him. His coordinator, Omar, has a very, very faithful following. So much so, I fully expect and am prepared for the "verbal beating" I am going to get for going public with what I know. But, if I prevent just one woman from experiencing what I am about to share with you, then it will all be worth it.

As I said, Omar is very well loved among the patients, especially the ladies. He goes out of his way to ensure everyone has a great experience while there. He provides for the patient's every need, transports them around town, runs errands for them, sits by their bedside and so much more. He is very charming and charismatic. There will be many, many members who will respond to this thread stating just that. In fact, when the first patient, one that I had referred to them, approached me about what happened to her, I did her a horrible disservice by not really believing what she told me, because Omar did such a good job of convincing me otherwise. But now, after six woman, some of whom I referred to Dr. Illan, some not, have contacted me regarding what happened to them, I know now that first patient was telling me the truth, she did not misinterpret anything and I must speak out.

So, what is it that I am speaking off? I am talking about taking advantage of woman who have traveled to a foreign country by themselves, most likely have low self-esteem due to their weight issues, they are scared and they are lonely. Then, along comes Omar. He is by their side throughout their stay. He is, as I said before, charming and charismatic. They very quickly find themselves falling victim to him, and he takes advantage of them in several different ways. He either is sexually suggestive to them, sexually inappropriate, or convinces these woman he truly cares for/loves them and begins a romantic relationship with them. Because of how vulnerable they are, they believe he really does care about them, and they allow themselves to be wooed by him and have a romantic and/or sexual relationship with him. Then, shortly after, he basically dumps them. He quits responding to their calls, texts, etc. He leaves these woman feeling broken and foolish for falling for him. They feel like they have done something wrong, when in fact, they are merely the victim of a heartless man taking extreme advantage of his position and their vulnerability. Understand, I am not saying this happens with every patient, but it does happen and it shows an extreme lack of professionalism and moral character.

I have attempted to contact Dr. Illan to speak with him personally about this. Unfortunately, Omar makes that nearly impossible. All calls, emails, etc. are intercepted by him. And, here is the saddest part of all, Dr. Illan already knows what is going on. So, I am doubtful my talking to him would make a difference. Dr. Illan knows Omar has a strong fan base, and therefore, brings him a great deal of business. So, he turns a blind eye to what is happening. Which, is why I have no guilt in publicly coming out and sharing what I know. I will be honest, my goal here is to have Omar removed from his position as coordinator with Baja Bariatrics and Dr. Illan, and to see that he does not work in this field or any other field where he can take advantage of woman again. And, if Dr. Illan goes down as a result, well, shame on him for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Assuming your allegations are true of which I have no evidence, how do you know Dr. Illan knows anything about it or what his motivations are if you have never spoken with him?

You made another post of Dr. Aceves where you advised people to not go to Mexico at all. You, yourself, have stated that you used to work as a coordinator. Do you have any business dealings in the bariatric world now? Do you work for any company that makes money off of this population - be it an online support group, sales, or the like? Why did you stop being a coordinator? Was it only because of your as stated botched surgery or were there other reasons - perhaps personality conflicts or the like? Is there any possible professional conflict of interest going on?

I am only asking these questions - not to accuse you of anything - but to ascertain your own credentials/motives since you have stated it is your goal to bring someone down and a decent surgeon with him based upon allegations when you have not actually spoken to the doctor in question.

Edited by Travelmego

Are any of these women minors? I went by myself and behaved like an adult. Omar was never inappropriate in any way. Everyone has their own definition of adult behavior... I'm assuming these other supposed adult women were grown and consenting and YOU weren't there. Right? You have no place and no right to pass judgement, spread rumors, try to ruin someone's job or their reputation. You should reconsider leaving this post up.

Whitney, your post just makes me sad. Are you also one of these who feels when a woman was raped, she deserved it because of the way she was dressed?

As I said, I expected backlash from Omar's fans. However, as I said, just because he was not inappropriate with you, does not mean he wasn't with others. I am happy you had a a good experience with him, I truly am. The answer to your question is yes, these were adult woman, not minors. Do not continue to make them feel bad, as I stated, while you may be of a stronger personality, many woman who go to Mexico are not, and are in a very vulnerable state and people like Omar are able to see just who these woman are and take advantage of that. They did nothing wrong. Any person in the US, doctor or employee of a doctor, who had any type of such interactions/relationship with a patient would have been considered unprofessional and immoral. They would have been dismissed from their position and most likely facing criminal charges.

These woman were taken advantage of, they were wronged. Shame on you for condoning it simply because they are adults.

And, unlike you, a new member, I have been here for 8 years, administered these forums, worked with the Mexico doctors and have many, many connections with them. This is based on fact, not rumors. I am looking out for and protecting innocent woman, therefore, my post stands.

I had a wonderful experience!!!!!!! LOL, Whitney!

If these were consensual relationships then it is certainly unprofessional by American standards but not necessarily criminal nor predatory.

Whitney, instead of assuming I am simply a "virtual friend" as you like to say, or that nothing happened, or accusing me of having no life outside of here (which is really simply grasping for anything to argue about instead of the very serious situation of which I am addressing), how about posting why you feel that because this did not happen to you, it could not possibly have happened to anyone else? This is a serious, serious situation, and for you to make light of it concerns me. I could share why you are apparently making light of this, from what others are sharing with me, but first, I am curious to hear your reasoning.

If these were consensual relationships then it is certainly unprofessional by American standards but not necessarily criminal nor predatory.

Therein lies part of the problem, you are assuming these were all consensual relationships, on the contrary, for some of these woman, his advances were most certainly not appreciated, and they were quick to reject him and let him know his advances were not appreciated nor wanted. Unfortunately, that did not stop him from doing so.

Actually, to be fair, it was you Susan, who brough up Whitney being a new person first.  She just responded to your comment about her being new. 

If you will notice I said IF - which means I wasn't assuming anything. If I am going to assume something, I put assuming as I did in my first post.  Thanks.   You really didn't put many details in the original post so how are we supposed to know anything hence the IF. 

Edited by Travelmego

I can honestly say that nothing has ever been said to me that was inappropriate.  

I had a wonderful experience!!!!!!! LOL, Whitney!

Un-named person, my understanding is you started the Facebook group, so again, I would expect your comments. Although, I also understand Omar was quite flirty with you and your husband was not appreciative. As I stated in my original post, I fully expected Omar's fan club to stand up for him and respond in full force to this thread. I wouldn't expect anything less from Omar to have his followers respond to this, and I am sure he has contacted Alex demanding removal of this thread. However, I posted this with his approval. I am simply posting fact. Again, while you may not have experienced this and had a great experience, many woman have not had the same experience as you. Just because it did not happen to you, doesn't mean these women were not taken advantage of. Just because a robber did not rob your bank, doesn't mean he is not a robber, just because a pedophile did not molest your child doesn't mean he is not a pedophile, just because a murderer did not murder you, does not mean he isn't a murderer. And, just because nothing inappropriate happened with you, it does not mean he wasn't inappropriate with others. People have a right to know, and I am going to make sure they know. If they take what I have shared, still choose Dr. Illan and Omar, and then have a bad experience, they can't say they were not warned.

Edited by *susan*

On this very site, I have been completely frank about my traumatic experience being sexually assaulted as a young child. I like to think that I am advocate for other victims as I currently work as a social worker dealing with children and families.

My surgery is scheduled for 9/1 with Dr. Illan. I had limited correspondence with Omar during this process. I obviously have not met him in person, but I imagine he is probably a very charming individual. I'm no one's cheerleader and I am no one's hired hand.

With that said, I find this thread to be problematic. This thread seems like an attempt to defame Dr. Illan's reputation rather than warn women about Omar. 

Actually, to be fair, it was you Susan, who attacked Whitney as a new person first. She just responded to your comment about her being new.

I wasn't attacking, she basically accused me of having no right to post this, and stated I was spreading rumors and should take it down. I simply was explaining that I have been a respected, well-known member of these forums for years, and perhaps because she is new, she is not aware that I am very much in support of and an advocate for our members.

Now, lets return to the topic at hand instead of trying to take this off topic.

On this very site, I have been completely frank about my traumatic experience being sexually assaulted as a young child. I like to think that I am advocate for other victims as I currently work as a social worker dealing with children and families. My surgery is scheduled for 9/1 with Dr. Illan. I had limited correspondence with Omar during this process. I obviously have not met him in person, but I imagine he is probably a very charming individual. I'm no one's cheerleader and I am no one's hired hand. With that said, I find this thread to be problematic. This thread seems like an attempt to defame Dr. Illan's reputation rather than warn women about Omar.

If Dr. Illan is willing to turn a blind eye to his employee who is being inappropriate with his patients, then so be it.

On this very site, I have been completely frank about my traumatic experience being sexually assaulted as a young child. I like to think that I am advocate for other victims as I currently work as a social worker dealing with children and families. My surgery is scheduled for 9/1 with Dr. Illan. I had limited correspondence with Omar during this process. I obviously have not met him in person, but I imagine he is probably a very charming individual. I'm no one's cheerleader and I am no one's hired hand. With that said, I find this thread to be problematic. This thread seems like an attempt to defame Dr. Illan's reputation rather than warn women about Omar.

If Dr. Illan is willing to turn a blind eye to his employee who is being inappropriate with his patients, then so be it.

Do you have solid evidence that:

a) Omar has sexually assaulted single women (as you are implying)

and

B) Dr. Illan is aware of these alleged assaults and failed to act on them.

If you do not, you are skating very close to libel.

Susan I don't think you should be calling people out about things that they haven't told you directly or gave you permission to say. I think that is VERY UNPROFESSIONAL of you to do. This shouldn't turn into a witch hunt. I'm assuming she didn't.

Edited by sherry24184