Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need AUGUST bypass buddies!

Hello, I had my rny gastric bypass on 8/14/14. I'm lost in pain right now. I don't have a support group. I would love some guidance.

Did they give you a belly band? That helps.

Hello, I had my rny gastric bypass on 8/14/14. I'm lost in pain right now. I don't have a support group. I would love some guidance.

Did they give you a belly band? That helps.

Pain goes away pretty quick.. Just walk around and don't allow yourself to sit or lay too much

My surgery is in 36 hours. Starting to feel a bit nervous.

Danny's girl, mine is tomorrow also! I was told by a friend of mine.. When the butterfly's kick in take a deep breath and picture yourself in your favorite place.. Mine is at the beach, so I should picture myself with my toes in the sand.. Please keep us posted and girl you got this

Anyone know how long it takes for liquid to empty the pouch??

I would think 30 minutes since they don't want us to eat for 30 minutes after drinking.

Anyone know how long it takes for liquid to empty the pouch??

I had my bypass on the 19th. Am doing really well. Had to stay 4 days in the hospital as my oxygen level and platelets were low. The worst part was immediately after waking up from surgery...was in so much pain. This was about 10:30 a.m. But in a few hours felt so much better. I actually wanted to get up and walk. It does help. Right now the only problem I have is getting out of bed. I tried sleeping in the recliner...no go. I can get really comfortable, even can sleep on my right side in the bed. Need help sitting up then good to go.

Hello! I had my RNY on the 21st and am doing great! My butt is asleep still though. Did any of you experience that? I was up and walking a few hours after surgery and am very active. Anyhoo- hope you are all well!

Hello! I had my RNY on the 21st and am doing great! My butt is asleep still though. Did any of you experience that? I was up and walking a few hours after surgery and am very active. Anyhoo- hope you are all well!

Congrats on the surgery! My butt wasn't numb but I do have an area on my lower abdomen that is still numb from surgery on the 18th lol

I had mine on Monday the 25 tonight is my last night at the hospital.. The only discomfort I am feeling is my belly feels like I have been kicked a wicked a lot.

Congrats all that have had it done..

Sounds like we're seeing some great results! I'm still in liquid/puree stage and stumbled into an Emerald City smoothie a couple times. Ive tried a few low cal, low sugar, high Protein smoothies and felt as if I were cheating. They were sooo good! If anyone has that chain close or others like it, check it out!

Hello all, I had originally posted this in a different thread but I wanted to include it here too. :)

Well it's Day 8 now and let me tell you, it's been an interesting week. I was discharged on Thursday evening, which was nice but scary to think I was ready for that big leap. Once I got home, it was so nice to sleep in my own bed without vital checks every four hours! (Again, I loved my nurses and they were fabulous but it felt so good to get solid rest!)

Unfortunately, just as I was starting to get into a daily routine, on Saturday night I noticed that my body did not "feel right". Even after surgery I quickly became aware of how it felt to be in my own skin. I noticed the left side of my abdomen wrapping all the way around to my back seemed really tight and swollen. However there was no redness and I didn't have a fever.

So, I went to bed and woke up to the same symptoms only the area that was tight and swollen was also hot-to-touch now. Again though there was not redness or fever. So after some internal debate, I headed back to the hospital, only to the ER this time.

Once I arrived they immediately took me back seeing that it was lost likely post-op complications. They had me drink contrast in sugar free Crystal Light lemonade for a CT. I was able to guzzle down about 8 ounces (in an hour) and then they tried the CT scan.

Warning! Do not read below if you're squeamish.

Results were clear that I had quite an abscess in my lower left abdominal wound. That night was terrible. The admitted me and the surgeon on call ended up opening that wound up bedside with me under very little pain killers. It was scary. As soon as he cut me open, I could feel the liquid gush all over my stomach and bed. Then he had to dig out the puss and search for pockets of the infection, which was quite unpleasant. After he squeezed and dug around for about 30 minutes, he cleaned it with saline and packed it with a thick layer of gauze on top to soak up the infection.

I definitely screamed and cried. And I'm pretty sure I passed out at one point. That night I didn't sleep at all. I was in a lot of pain. I was upset that I was back in the hospital and I just wanted to go home. At the same time, I was afraid to go home with this infection.

On Monday morning they cleaned and re packed the wound again, which was terrible again. I'm not sure if the nurse had ever packed a wound so deep before because she kept asking for help for her fellow nurse that seemed to be guiding her. At this point and as far as I was concerned, I was not the one to practice on. I may or may not have been a very pleasant patient that morning...

My surgeon came to see the wound and he apologized that it had become infected but explained that it is always a risk. It becomes a higher risk when dealing with the intestines as well. He was really nice and calmed my nerves about it. He ensured me that I could go home and he would arrange for Home Care nurses to come daily to my house to do wound care.

So I went home on Monday evening, took some good pain medicine, and slept.

Today has been okay. I am still very swollen and tender on my left side and I feel like I need a bit more help up and down. Luckily I have the best fiancé ever and he has been right by my side and super understanding/compassionate about my current condition.

The nurse that came today was beyond fantastic. I did not have extensive pain when she cleansed and packed the wound today. The nurse also took official stats on all incisions and open wounds (both infected wound and drain wound). I don't know if this is large in the grand scale of things, but, I am flabbergasted that the abscessed wound is a pocket 12cm deep!!! Crazy scary to imagine!

Anyways, the nurse had extremely gentle hands and was understanding that my previous experiences were downright awful. She assured me that he nurses in my rotation were all well-seasoned and expert nurses who would thoroughly examine me and give me great care. Yesterday I may have though that was a bunch of smoke being blown up my rear, but today I believed her. Haha.

Anyways, it's been a long, trying week. But I am really trying to stay positive about the long haul. Even if no one reads this, it is almost a therapy to write it all down. Hopefully someone will read it though and it may even help them on their journey!

I'll keep ya'll updated on the normal gastric bypass issues/new lifestyle and the wound infection as well.

Happy Tuesday!

~Angela

Hello all, I had originally posted this in a different thread but I wanted to include it here too. :) Well it's Day 8 now and let me tell you, it's been an interesting week. I was discharged on Thursday evening, which was nice but scary to think I was ready for that big leap. Once I got home, it was so nice to sleep in my own bed without vital checks every four hours! (Again, I loved my nurses and they were fabulous but it felt so good to get solid rest!) Unfortunately, just as I was starting to get into a daily routine, on Saturday night I noticed that my body did not "feel right". Even after surgery I quickly became aware of how it felt to be in my own skin. I noticed the left side of my abdomen wrapping all the way around to my back seemed really tight and swollen. However there was no redness and I didn't have a fever. So, I went to bed and woke up to the same symptoms only the area that was tight and swollen was also hot-to-touch now. Again though there was not redness or fever. So after some internal debate, I headed back to the hospital, only to the ER this time. Once I arrived they immediately took me back seeing that it was lost likely post-op complications. They had me drink contrast in sugar free Crystal Light lemonade for a CT. I was able to guzzle down about 8 ounces (in an hour) and then they tried the CT scan. Warning! Do not read below if you're squeamish. Results were clear that I had quite an abscess in my lower left abdominal wound. That night was terrible. The admitted me and the surgeon on call ended up opening that wound up bedside with me under very little pain killers. It was scary. As soon as he cut me open, I could feel the liquid gush all over my stomach and bed. Then he had to dig out the puss and search for pockets of the infection, which was quite unpleasant. After he squeezed and dug around for about 30 minutes, he cleaned it with saline and packed it with a thick layer of gauze on top to soak up the infection. I definitely screamed and cried. And I'm pretty sure I passed out at one point. That night I didn't sleep at all. I was in a lot of pain. I was upset that I was back in the hospital and I just wanted to go home. At the same time, I was afraid to go home with this infection. On Monday morning they cleaned and re packed the wound again, which was terrible again. I'm not sure if the nurse had ever packed a wound so deep before because she kept asking for help for her fellow nurse that seemed to be guiding her. At this point and as far as I was concerned, I was not the one to practice on. I may or may not have been a very pleasant patient that morning... My surgeon came to see the wound and he apologized that it had become infected but explained that it is always a risk. It becomes a higher risk when dealing with the intestines as well. He was really nice and calmed my nerves about it. He ensured me that I could go home and he would arrange for Home Care nurses to come daily to my house to do wound care. So I went home on Monday evening, took some good pain medicine, and slept. Today has been okay. I am still very swollen and tender on my left side and I feel like I need a bit more help up and down. Luckily I have the best fiancé ever and he has been right by my side and super understanding/compassionate about my current condition. The nurse that came today was beyond fantastic. I did not have extensive pain when she cleansed and packed the wound today. The nurse also took official stats on all incisions and open wounds (both infected wound and drain wound). I don't know if this is large in the grand scale of things, but, I am flabbergasted that the abscessed wound is a pocket 12cm deep!!! Crazy scary to imagine! Anyways, the nurse had extremely gentle hands and was understanding that my previous experiences were downright awful. She assured me that he nurses in my rotation were all well-seasoned and expert nurses who would thoroughly examine me and give me great care. Yesterday I may have though that was a bunch of smoke being blown up my rear, but today I believed her. Haha. Anyways, it's been a long, trying week. But I am really trying to stay positive about the long haul. Even if no one reads this, it is almost a therapy to write it all down. Hopefully someone will read it though and it may even help them on their journey! I'll keep ya'll updated on the normal gastric bypass issues/new lifestyle and the wound infection as well. Happy Tuesday! ~Angela

Holy crap! Hang in there, it gets better. I thought I was having a rough time. I picked up a nasty C. Diff infection while I was in the hospital. I just keep telling myself that I am doing a little better every day. Some days I actually believe it!

Music lady

I hope you are feeling better! Sorry you had to endure all of that! Things will be better and you will be right on track! Best wishes!

Gabriela