Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

50-60% Excess weight loss in 2 years

My doctor wouldn't commit to numbers.. but he felt the lap band worked for folks who wanted it to work, and who were willing to change their lifestyles.

He did mention that the best losses were with his bypass patients, followed by his gastric sleeve patients. Banders lost a bit less on average, but he also said many were able to meet their goals. He did emphasize that even if I lost 50 pounds that I would feel better and be a lot happier than when I first walked into his office. I'm about 1/2 way to MY goal weight, and I'm slowly but steadily getting there.

I only used the scale and bmi charts as a guideline, NOT set in stone. I knew if I followed my Dr.s rules and listened to my body, it would tell me what I needed to do to lose weight and become healthier. Well, I did listen and im far happier and healthier at 160 lbs than I was at 225 !! Even if I never lost another lb I'll have no regrets. I swim 3x a week, run 1-2 x a week, wear a size 10, got rid of the sleep apnea and digestive problems too. Ive been banded 2.5 years , was 53 years old when banded, and could'nt be happier !Stop looking at charts for your success and go by whats the healthiest for YOUR body. Charts and scales come and go, but a body ? A life ? Honey, you only got ONE of those. Treat it nicely, the weight loss will follow.

The 50-60% statistic is just that, a statistic. It is also a way for the medical industry to separate itself from liability by under promising. Standard good practice in business. It is the personal decision of each individual whether they want to be a stat or not. I did not. I just followed the standard rules about post op eating, drinking and exercise. Maybe I ate a little more low carb then most or made a decision to go above and beyond the basics as soon as I was able to whether that be Water, Protein, exercise, sleep, etc. Didn't go crazy, but did a little extra. With doing these simple things, I lost over 100% of excess weight in 7 months. Started at 380# (5'11") and ended at 172# after 7 months. A little low for me and my muscles and strength were MIA . I spent the next 16 month working on building a new body with weight stabilized between 180-185. It takes a disciplined approach to diet, exercise and lifestyle to maintain, but totally worth it. I love being able to push myself athletically now almost daily. I set new goals all the time for myself. Moral of story - choose not to be a stat and you can achieve anything.

Edited by Fiddleman

The 50-60% statistic is just that, a statistic. It is also a way for the medical industry to separate itself from liability by under promising. Standard good practice in business. It is the personal decision of each individual whether they want to be a stat or not. I did not. I just followed the standard rules about post op eating, drinking and exercise. Maybe I ate a little more low carb then most or made a decision to go above and beyond the basics as soon as I was able to whether that be Water, Protein, exercise, sleep, etc. Didn't go crazy, but did a little extra. With doing these simple things, I lost over 100% of excess weight in 7 months. Started at 380# (5'11") and ended at 172# after 7 months. A little low for me and my muscles and strength were MIA . I spent the next 16 month working on building a new body with weight stabilized between 180-185. It takes a disciplined approach to diet, exercise and lifestyle to maintain, but totally worth it. I love being able to push myself athletically now almost daily. I set new goals all the time for myself. Moral of story - choose not to be a stat and you can achieve anything.

That's what I call an amazing success story. Thanks for that.

If you check back in and see this, would you please describe how your (loose) skin responded to the weight loss and the subsequent months of strength-building? (Also, how old are you?)

My surgeon mentioned the same general statistics, but of course each person is unique.

I've lost 134 pounds in 7 months and am 5 pounds away from reaching my goal. I've just followed the instructions from my nut and surgeon for both dieting and exercise and the weight has fallen off quicker than I expected.

I know I didn't start this thread. However, I am very glad that I read it. All of you experienced in the bariatric surgery have given wonderful insight to those of us that are still new. I am a little over two months out since my surgery. In total I have lost 48 pounds I lost 15 of that presurgery and the rest postsurgery. I have experienced a few stalls where I noticed that I had carbs i.e. fruit. I have not had any bread, Pasta, potatoes, or rice. I noticed that I do best just with my wonderful Protein. I am however getting really tired of either shake or an egg for Breakfast. And have taken to eating protein fortified oatmeal. It may slow my weight-loss down a little bit, but it makes me happy, something I thought I would never say because I never liked oatmeal before the surgery. So far even the G carbs do tend to give me some problem. I can eat tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and green Beans. But other raw vegetables such as lettuce and spinach and anything leafy like that just sits hard, I had a strange experience with asparagus I ate it and I chewed and I chewed and I chewed and I swallowed and I chewed I was really curious on how it got back in my mouth because I could've sworn I swallowed so I guess it's just too tough for me yet.

That's what I call an amazing success story. Thanks for that. If you check back in and see this, would you please describe how your (loose) skin responded to the weight loss and the subsequent months of strength-building? (Also, how old are you?)

Hi - I am 38 and been obese for most of my life. I carried my weight mostly in stomach region so it is of no surprise that is where I have some lose skin. Not a lot. It is about 1/4 inch and not a big deal, but does separate me mentally from achieving complete success. I have done a lot of strength related things since post op 7 months from cross fit to p90 x to body weight workouts at home. I have a good definition in my arms and legs from working out, not lose skin there at all. No lose skin on my back or chest either, but I have done a lot of push-up and pull-up variations over time. That probably helped a lot. I drink a lot of Water and go overboard on Protein every day. The former helps with encouraging skin elasticity and the latter encourages muscle growth (after I thoroughly beat them up). I eat a lot of carbs that are usually in the form of quinoa, steel oats, Fiber one and bananas. Carbs are needed for the body to effectively synthesize protein. Building muscle really helps in filling out any loose skin with definition. Mentally, I am more about strength, fitness and health then I am about body building, but that is just me. One step at a time. I too have been through the new op struggles, but am here to say that it gets easier after 6 months, after one year and so on. I could not successfully eat a lot of vegetable types until after reaching goal. They just would not process right. However, being two years out now, I can eat any vegetable without uncomfortable consequence. Keep at it everyone!

Edited by Fiddleman

I went in with a BMI of 37 in September with about 90-100 pounds to lose. I was sleeved in October with a BMI of 35.6. Since then I've lost 87 pounds, (I count from September to get count the pre-op weight loss which was about 13 pounds). So I'm 3 pounds from my first goal in under a year. I wear a size 4 at 5'6", so I'm told I look "tiny", though I tend to see a size 8ish-10ish staring back in the mirror. Body image is a funny thing.

I'll admit, I eat a bit more than many others, (about 1200 calories per day). I subscribe to the "nothing is forbidden", "I am not on a diet", diet. I work out hard 5 days per week and work the things I like into my day to make it work. So for me, at 10 months out, I'm going to get there. I'll probably go past my goal at the rate I'm going which is fine to a point. I think it is a very individual thing, how fast, how much you lose. I've been intentional in the higher calories as I believe I've had the opportunity to reset my metabolism and I want it to reset as high as possible while I still have adequate weight loss results. This is what worked for me when I had about 100 pounds to lose. Others, especially those with a greater percentage of weight to lose may have a different experience.

I started at 362 pounds and a BMI of 45. My surgery was in December 2013 and my current weight is 232 pounds putting me at a BMI of 29 with 80% loss of excess weight. I am within 2 pounds of my initial goal but I am not done. I will keep going and the weight will level off at the right point.

To date I have followed the plan very closely with few diversions. As stated by many earlier posts, it does get easier with time. The struggles with getting in Protein and Water pass. It then becomes making good choices about what food is put into my mouth. I read a study early on that they key to success with WLS was to maintain a feeling of satiety for as long as possible. So I eat every 3-4 hours, 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. I make sure I eat enough dense Protein and compliment with carbs and fats through the day.

I do not feel like I have pushed myself with exercise. I do cardio regularly, 3-4 times a week but need to refocus on pushing myself more with strength and fitness training. I do agree that the mental part of this process is the most important. Personal motivation is extremely important. No one tells you to exercise, no one tells you not to eat the bag of chips. That has to come from within.

Making the decision to have WLS is the beginning of the battle. Following the program and having the personal fortitude to push yourself to be successful will get the results you want!

BRAVO!! This should be the BP motto and EVERYONE should be required to repeat it to themselves everyday. And it should be written on stone tablets and hung at an official annual scale burning party.

What fabulous way to look at this journey!

I am in awe of all of you that have already undergone the surgery and/or made changes in your life to lead up to it. Thank you all for all the great responses.

I feel that I am ready for this as I am tired of being overweight and tired. I hope I can gain the self confidence that I have been lacking most of my life as I start through this journey. I want to get to know me and I hope I am stronger than I give myself credit for.

Again, thank you all for your replies. Reading this makes me feel like I can do it and be successful this time.

Jade

That's what I call an amazing success story. Thanks for that. If you check back in and see this, would you please describe how your (loose) skin responded to the weight loss and the subsequent months of strength-building? (Also, how old are you?)

Hi - I am 38 and been obese for most of my life. I carried my weight mostly in stomach region so it is of no surprise that is where I have some lose skin. Not a lot. It is about 1/4 inch and not a big deal, but does separate me mentally from achieving complete success. I have done a lot of strength related things since post op 7 months from cross fit to p90 x to body weight workouts at home. I have a good definition in my arms and legs from working out, not lose skin there at all. No lose skin on my back or chest either, but I have done a lot of push-up and pull-up variations over time. That probably helped a lot. I drink a lot of Water and go overboard on Protein every day. The former helps with encouraging skin elasticity and the latter encourages muscle growth (after I thoroughly beat them up). I eat a lot of carbs that are usually in the form of quinoa, steel oats, Fiber one and bananas. Carbs are needed for the body to effectively synthesize Protein. Building muscle really helps in filling out any loose skin with definition. Mentally, I am more about strength, fitness and health then I am about body building, but that is just me. One step at a time. I too have been through the new op struggles, but am here to say that it gets easier after 6 months, after one year and so on. I could not successfully eat a lot of vegetable types until after reaching goal. They just would not process right. However, being two years out now, I can eat any vegetable without uncomfortable consequence. Keep at it everyone!

Thank you, thank you, Fiddleman, for those details. That is very helpful to me. And thanks for posting here two years down the road. It's such a contribution to us who are just about to step on the road.