Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Questions - I'm considering getting banded.

I have been reading the forum posts for about three days now, and have not seen many comments on a few items. I am looking for some comments that may help me with my descision.

1) Is anyone having success with the band restrictions only, meaning no real excercise regime. I have time to walk a couple of times a day, but no time to go to a gym.

2) How soon did you go back to work? Do you think you could have gone back to work sooner? To a desk job?

3) Has anyone regreted this surgery? How many reversals are you aware of?

Thanks. I appreciate your candor and honesty.

J.

1) Is anyone having success with the band restrictions only, meaning no real excercise regime. I have time to walk a couple of times a day, but no time to go to a gym.

I had some success up front without exercise, but this has become much less. Lately if I don't exercise, I don't lose - no ifs, ands, or buts. The gyn isn't the only thing that's exercise. Walking counts, and it's better if you can do it at a brisk pace or incline.

2) How soon did you go back to work? Do you think you could have gone back to work sooner? To a desk job?

I had surgery on Wednesday and went back to work Monday. I did work from home Monday - Tuesday, only because my staples hit right where all of my pants fell on my abdomen. I could have gone back to work Monday if it weren't for the clothes issue, but since I can work from home I did.

I'm sure someone somewhere has regretted it, but I can't speak for them. I can only say that I have not. There have been some removals (is that what you mean by reversals?)... I personally know of one person who had a removal and one person who should have a removal but isn't going to. If you look here under life after lap-band, I think it is, you will find more stories.

I had mine done on Friday and I could have gone back to work on Tues. or Wed...I know some that went back on Mon...I just wasn't able...I also had a hernia repaired...maybe that added to my unability to move as well as others...

I had my band put on 4/6/07....and I am so glad I did...I would do it again, tomorrow....I have lost 23 lbs....best thing I have ever done for myself...

The only exercise I am doing, is walking....about 1 mile....

Let's see,

I'm one of the worst people to exercise there are. I do the treadmill but that's it. I've had neck and back surgery and have 2 more herniated disk so it's just hard for me.

I went back on day 4. I was 4 wheeler riding for 4 hours on day 8 or 10. I was fine.

Nope, don't regret it yet, just regret not having it sooner.

Hope this helps you some.

I have been reading the forum posts for about three days now, and have not seen many comments on a few items. I am looking for some comments that may help me with my descision.

Walking is the best overall exercise around. You don't have to go to the gym to work out and if you are like me you don't want to for a variety of reasons. You have to exercise to continue with the loss. The first few months I didn't have to exercise to lose but there came a point that I had to.

I had surgery on Saturday and went back to work a week after surgery to a desk job. I had 7 incisions instead of the normal 4 and that may have added to my time healing.

I don't regret having the surgery at all. One of my friends had her band removed after she lost over 200 pounds. She needed to because she was having mental issues dealing with the band. (i.e. expecting to vomit after she ate) The only problem with having the band removed is possibly gaining back the weight.

Best of luck!

Thanks. I appreciate your candor and honesty.

J.

One more question.... What do you tell people? At least early on? I think I need this becasue I am weak. I would never want to tell people I did this for fear they would think so also.

You'll lose more easily at first and then will need exercise to keep losing. Get in front of the TV and dance or do a tV exercise show!

No regrets.

You know, if I see one more infomercial or talk show that says all we need to do is exercise and eat right and we'll be fine, and if not, we're lazy...I'm going to slip a band! Or hear one more person say I took the easy way. I didn't tell people at first, and now I'm very cautious who I tell. Fat is the last acceptable prejudice and people are generally uneducated or miseducated. Or they want to help by constantly asking if I've lost weight or if I'm eating too much. I've learned to only tell people when I have the time and inclination to also educate them. That works for me.

Walking IS exercise! So do it and stick to it!

I am one week post op and have not returned to work. I have been working from home the day after the surgery (Wed was the surgery, Thu I was sitting up in bed typing), but I am a workaholic. I did about 4 hours Thu and about 4 on Fri. Saturday I hit a wall and couldn't function Sat and Sun. Monday I worked about 6 hours. Tuesday I physically went into work but was a little too weak to stay, so I was only there like 3 hours then worked 3 hours more at home. Today, Wed, I worked 8 hours from home. I will be going in full time tomorrow.

Since I also had a hiatal hernia repaired, I think my pain was a little more than the average bear, heance why I am not having a lot of luck walking without hunching yet.

Good luck! Warning: the anesthesia SUCKS.

Thanks for all the comments, they are very helpful. Now I just need to build the courage to tell my wife this is what I want to do.....

Thanks for all the comments, they are very helpful. Now I just need to build the courage to tell my wife this is what I want to do.....

You know, people never want to admit their own shortcomings, can look a fat person in the eye, and tell them they just need to try harder, to not be lazy, etc.......Then, they walk away to go smoke a cigarette, have their 5th, 6th or 7th drink for the day, smoke a joint, go home to their abusive and/or cheating significant other........everybody has stuff they are insecure about, or can't contol, or WON'T control. It's being human.

I kept quiet for the most part, about my surgery, until I had it done 5 weeks ago. Now, I shout it from the roof tops. I have not had many people make negative comments. But, I simply state that it would be a nicer world if people would address their own issues instead of focusing on mine. Then, I thanked her for feeling I was important enough spend time thinking about. If that doesn't work, picture them in their underwear! :)

I was back to work in 4 days. I had more energy than I knew what to do with, once the anesthesia hangover wore off. I had no hernia issues, etc., so I recovered quickly. The pain is VERY minimal. I swear. (At least it was for me)

Ask your wife read some of there posts. There are so many inspirational people on here! Maybe she just needs to be reassured that the complications are minimal, and that most people never regret the decision to have the lapband. Good luck!

I am new here too, today actually. I understand the telling your wife part has you nervous. It is funny how our spouses are supposed to be our closest confidon, yet it is so hard to tell them about this. I finally told my husband yesterday and am so glad that I did. He is 110% supportive to whatever "makes me happy". Your wife will understand.

J.

1) Yes, i am having success so far ... it has now been a little over 6wks and i have lost 25lbs and loving it... I don't do too much exercise, just go walking everyday like for at least a 1/2 hr, because i find that i have so much more energy now. Like they say a little bit goes a long way.

2.) This varies on the person and how they react to the surgery and all.. It took me longer because i got really sick (not to scare you or anything. my doc says that this is very rare in patients) But im feeling absolutely wonderful now.

3.) I have not for one second regretted it, i find only positive results from this surgery and i would do it all over again. And the only reversals i know of is b/c of something going wrong with the band like slippage or infection... But like they said that this very rarely happens.

Wish you the best of luck on your journey.. and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask....

--Jeni M.

(E-mail: jmakowski@ix.netcom.com):rolleyes:

BetsyJane-Right on. I am 44 years old and was overweight the majority of my life. I have acomplished a lot in my life....weight was the ONE thing I absoultely could not control. I fought the urge I had to get surgery for years....one day I finally woke up and said.... ENOUGH!!! I am tired of people who say they are all lazy slobs....give me a break!!

) Is anyone having success with the band restrictions only, meaning no real excercise regime. I have time to walk a couple of times a day, but no time to go to a gym.

You must exercise. Of course you will lose weight but you will be an unhealthy skinny person without exercise. Just do it. Don't join a gym...just walk for now...

I was back in a week and probably could have been sooner but it was nice not having to go in. Do what feels right. I had very little pain and discomfort.

NOT FOR A MINUTE. I could not be happier.....don't wait as long as i did...

But remember...this is no miracle cure...you have to WORK at it. I have met people on here who lost only 20 lbs in a year.....they were not following the rules. You can do it!!!!

Let us know how your wife reacts.....

Exercise - I'm just starting to feel like exercising, but plan to get walk at first. Mr. Dr. would NOT do the surgery unless you agree to exercise.

Work - I had mine done on a Tues, and hoped to go back in to a busy office on Friday. No way. I was OK on Monday, but would have rather waited a couple of extra days.

Regrets? It's only been 2 weeks, but not yet!