Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former Fatties! July Goals

I think the word Former, is who this was directed to, so if you fit into that category you would not be offended but if you are still on your journey to release all those extra fat cells, the term could be hurtful, since it's a word we all have heard used to describe us. One in which I never enjoyed hearing, so to hear it as a former tense, it doesn't bother me, but if I was still on the losing side, yes it would make me sad...

Almost 11 mile hike today!

post-210701-0-35225700-1404616264_thumb.png

I'm one week post op. Can't wait to be a former fatty! So happy I'm not cranky and have a sense of humor :P

I'm one week post op. Can't wait to be a former fatty! So happy I'm not cranky and have a sense of humor :P

Go Arielle! I'm 3 months and down almost 80lbs. Being active and eating right is making the rolls roll away! I went hiking yesterday and did 11 miles, I could have easily went 2-3 miles longer. Three months ago I was having trouble putting on my underwear! Start a walking routine, easy at first. .... keep us posted!

Well... I guess this says it all "could care less about hurting feelings..."

I get it that you are into tough love thing. fine - hope you never have a regain or some other event that makes you feel less like a wonderful success who has taken responsibility for your own "failings" and conquered the world. Hopefully you will never find out that it just isn't quite that simple for everyone.

I have never ever said that people don't have personal responsibility - they do 100%, but obese and formerly obese have generally been beat down pretty hard over the years so not sure that is all that helpful.

It is one thing to talk about yourself but you lump every overweight person into your own experience. Generalizations and stereotypes can be very counter productive regardless which population is being discussed. It is like saying all alcoholics just like the taste of beer, or all drug addicts just like to party.

Do you feel that all drug addicts are merely addicted because they like to party? Or do you recognize that drug addiction is a mutli-faceted problem? Do you recognize that genetics can play a component in drug and alcohol addiction? How about societal factors that encourage teenagers to drink as much as possible to 'have fun'?

Actually, I am no longer mad with you. Are you sure you are not a food addict in denial? Perhaps on the honeymoon phase where losing weight is easiest? Are you prepared for the maintenance mode? It is a good thing that you are exercising and trying to make permanent changes. I hope you carry those changes for life. Just to be on the safe side, perhaps you might consider reading about food addictions. Also, check out the links Alex put. It will save you from accidentally hurting feelings if, indeed, that was not your intention.

A food addict in denial and reading about food addictions? I've been a food addict for life and will always be one. We low BMI challenged people who have a sleeve, band or bypass got to this point because we all ate way too much and didn't burn more calories than we consumed. Most of us will struggle with it until we die. I could care less about hurting feelings, unless you were force-fed like a foie gras goose. I blame my old 42 BMI on myself, nobody else and will never allow myself to become a victim and blame others.

I like the idea of this challenge. I started walking somewhere btwn 2.5-3.5 miles most days of the week when I first went to see my dr, and it's made a huge difference--to the point where I wondered whether I should still do the surgery. But I'm still doing it, because I want to be getting both sides of the equation covered...so food will be down and exercise will be up, which should help! I'm happy to hear about your hikes...I've been doing exactly as you noted, 2.5-3.5 miles most weekdays, then a longer hike on the winds...started at 5, then 8, then 10 and 11! I'm actually looking for a half marathon to walk, hopefully before my surgery.

So I agree with you about walking being a great effective exercise. I also find that where I can usually talk myself out of running, biking, etc., walking is JUST walking...not so hard to get out to do that!

I like the idea of this challenge. I started walking somewhere btwn 2.5-3.5 miles most days of the week when I first went to see my dr, and it's made a huge difference--to the point where I wondered whether I should still do the surgery. But I'm still doing it, because I want to be getting both sides of the equation covered...so food will be down and exercise will be up, which should help! I'm happy to hear about your hikes...I've been doing exactly as you noted, 2.5-3.5 miles most weekdays, then a longer hike on the winds...started at 5, then 8, then 10 and 11! I'm actually looking for a half marathon to walk, hopefully before my surgery.

So I agree with you about walking being a great effective exercise. I also find that where I can usually talk myself out of running, biking, etc., walking is JUST walking...not so hard to get out to do that!

Hi Cee, good for you if you can do it without surgery! For me, I couldn't. The walking is addictive! I've been going more and more everyday and now am running!

Edited by CAinSB

I'm sorry you're offended, maybe you should unsubscribe. I'm happy to have shed my fat suit, feels good to be a former fatty. I love Labrador retrievers, good walking dogs!

I took your challenge. Had surgery June 25th, and walked 32 minutes tonight. Burned 232 calories......2 Protein Shakes. Will keep ya posted. BTW, I can't wait to not be a fattie!!!

Im in a bi***y mood today so I totally take offense to use of words former fatties. Guess what im pre op and still currently fat. Thanks for making me a little grumpier today.

I also find it very offensive and it is always on the first page so I can't sign on without seeing it

Walked the dog today.

I took your challenge. Had surgery June 25th, and walked 32 minutes tonight. Burned 232 calories......2 Protein shakes. Will keep ya posted. BTW, I can't wait to not be a fattie!!!

Go Mike! The more you keep track of your progress, the easier it becomes to do a little more everyday. 2 weeks tomorrow! Set goals you can reach and stay committed to yourself. I was sleeved March 28th and walked about 30 minutes 3-4 days a week in April, 4-5 days a week for 30-45 minutes in May, went to 6 days in June for an hour and now July I'm doing at least 2 hours a day every day. My goal is 120 miles! I walk for 30 minutes before work, 30-45 minutes during my lunch break, and about an hour in the evening after I make my family dinner. I'm dreading the next few months when it starts getting dark earlier, will have to get up a little earlier!

Edited by CAinSB

Update! Today was my first two mile walk. Big news is I did it in 34 minutes. Progress, and getting stronger daily!!!

I was fat and lazy, there is absolutely no way to deny my previous lifestyle. I take no offense in being a former fatty or a fat girl at heart. My inner girl will always be fat. That's just me. I love food too much :)