Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former Fatties! July Goals

Look...Most of us did eat too much but reality is I didn't eat that much more than people around me. I simply need very very little to maintain a healthy weight. I am always shocked by people who say they eat 2500 plus calories in maintenance. ..not me.

The more I think about it the more this whole thread strikes me as mean and condescending. I am happy with my body and fitness and don't need the abuse...thanks anyway.

OOPS your right I did not write my intention as clearly as I should have. I meant I am not joining in your little dare to walk 30 min. a day. I don't like the way you called us former fatties...By the way..I am not in denial either.. i was morbidly obese...I except that and that means I was really fat.I get to call myself that by the way...But I take offence if you call me that! But I don't think I need to be reminded by you or anyone else of this forum. Like others I come here to get away from those who take cheap pot shots but I try to encourage those who ask for help........

If you don't like what I have to say, then unsubscribe. I was also morbidly obese and now I'm just plain 'ol fat after having a sleeve. I'm determined to be normal and walking 3-6 miles a day has turned my life around! I'm trying to share my success with my fellow fatties, plumpers, obese individuals, or whatever you call yourself. Walking is the easiest and one of the most effective forms of exercise. So is sex! My belly doesn't get in the way anymore!

Look...Most of us did eat too much but reality is I didn't eat that much more than people around me. I simply need very very little to maintain a healthy weight. I am always shocked by people who say they eat 2500 plus calories in maintenance. ..not me.

The more I think about it the more this whole thread strikes me as mean and condescending. I am happy with my body and fitness and don't need the abuse...thanks anyway.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to get everyone off their (rhymes with sat and bass) and be active! Excuses about food and exercise is what got us all here in the first place.

Edited by CAinSB

I'm shocked how many people here think I'm rude, mean, insulting, etc. for being an advocate for a lifestyle change and the truth. "I'm not doing your challenge" well, that's why doctors do revisions on people. If you don't like what I have to say, then unsubscribe.

Fact is, if you're having bariatric surgery or had, it's because you're consuming (or consumed) more calories than you burn.

Edited by CAinSB

OOPS your right I did not write my intention as clearly as I should have. I meant I am not joining in your little dare to walk 30 min. a day. I don't like the way you called us former fatties...By the way..I am not in denial either.. i was morbidly obese...I except that and that means I was really fat.I get to call myself that by the way...But I take offence if you call me that! But I don't think I need to be reminded by you or anyone else of this forum. Like others I come here to get away from those who take cheap pot shots but I try to encourage those who ask for help........

If you don't like what I have to say, then unsubscribe. I was also morbidly obese and now I'm just plain 'ol fat after having a sleeve. I'm determined to be normal and walking 3-6 miles a day has turned my life around! I'm trying to share my success with my fellow fatties, plumpers, obese individuals, or whatever you call yourself. Walking is the easiest and one of the most effective forms of exercise. So is sex! My belly doesn't get in the way anymore!

Dam, why didn't I think of that....Great advice..I think it would be good if we all unsubscribed........Bah, ha, ha, ha!

Please read our rules. Disrespectful and Hurtful Posts are Forbidden.

I highly suggest that members start using people-first language when discussing Obesity.

I don't want to insult anyone, just trying to get you moving. Myself, I'm sick of man boobs.

I don't want to insult anyone, just trying to get you moving. Myself, I'm sick of man boobs.

Right...but the language used by several people who have posted is full of negative and at times mean spirited connotations. I have lost over 160#, am a normal BMI, have a pretty good level of fitness... All without name calling and implying that my laziness is the problem. I have never been a lazy sloppy or unmotivated person...even when I was obese.

I am fine. I have a high level of self confidence so in spite of my protests this isn't about me... it's about others who are in a different place in this journey. Yes take responsibility for your choices but that doesn't include berating people ... and assuming that everyone is eating like 5000 calories a day because they are obese. Once a person has been obese for decades you really don't have to eat huge amounts to maintain that obese status. Obesity does cause metabolic change. I didn't make that up....read up on what the Bariatric and Obesity medical community has to say about this.

I am not talking about excuses. . I am talking about positive support and motivation including an understanding of our medical condition called obesity over the "beat down" approach.

Edited by PRINCESSM

Yeah cuz insults are so motivational. Pft.

Shoot, I just do not get offended easily myself. I overeat and way under exercise. I have lost 100 pounds twice and gained it all back. At 47, I have no time to be sensitive to others remarks. That being said... DANG it is so hot here in AZ. I am going to have to walk in the health club. Thankfully they have air!

Yeah cuz insults are so motivational. Pft.

I didn't insult anyone, I'm fighting the fat demons one calorie at a time and am being honest with myself. I refuse to act like a wilted flower and make excuses!

It is one thing to talk about yourself but you lump every overweight person into your own experience. Generalizations and stereotypes can be very counter productive regardless which population is being discussed. It is like saying all alcoholics just like the taste of beer, or all drug addicts just like to party.

Do you feel that all drug addicts are merely addicted because they like to party? Or do you recognize that drug addiction is a mutli-faceted problem? Do you recognize that genetics can play a component in drug and alcohol addiction? How about societal factors that encourage teenagers to drink as much as possible to 'have fun'?

Actually, I am no longer mad with you. Are you sure you are not a food addict in denial? Perhaps on the honeymoon phase where losing weight is easiest? Are you prepared for the maintenance mode? It is a good thing that you are exercising and trying to make permanent changes. I hope you carry those changes for life. Just to be on the safe side, perhaps you might consider reading about food addictions. Also, check out the links Alex put. It will save you from accidentally hurting feelings if, indeed, that was not your intention.

I'm trying to get in extra walking. The dog is loving it!

It is one thing to talk about yourself but you lump every overweight person into your own experience. Generalizations and stereotypes can be very counter productive regardless which population is being discussed. It is like saying all alcoholics just like the taste of beer, or all drug addicts just like to party.

Do you feel that all drug addicts are merely addicted because they like to party? Or do you recognize that drug addiction is a mutli-faceted problem? Do you recognize that genetics can play a component in drug and alcohol addiction? How about societal factors that encourage teenagers to drink as much as possible to 'have fun'?

Actually, I am no longer mad with you. Are you sure you are not a food addict in denial? Perhaps on the honeymoon phase where losing weight is easiest? Are you prepared for the maintenance mode? It is a good thing that you are exercising and trying to make permanent changes. I hope you carry those changes for life. Just to be on the safe side, perhaps you might consider reading about food addictions. Also, check out the links Alex put. It will save you from accidentally hurting feelings if, indeed, that was not your intention.

A food addict in denial and reading about food addictions? I've been a food addict for life and will always be one. We low BMI challenged people who have a sleeve, band or bypass got to this point because we all ate way too much and didn't burn more calories than we consumed. Most of us will struggle with it until we die. I could care less about hurting feelings, unless you were force-fed like a foie gras goose. I blame my old 42 BMI on myself, nobody else and will never allow myself to become a victim and blame others.