Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In hospital. Very uncomfortable. What have I done?

HHi hi guys. Im im i hospital bee 26 houfs si ce i ated. Nurses wanted me to start dri ki g now but it fes so unco.fortable & wi dy. Ease so.o e tells mhis goes away. Help!

Ugh sorry re spelling. Eyes blurry too. Meannt to say plicatted yesterday & trying to drink Water butvv uncomfortable & windy. Is this normal & when will it go?? Thank you

Yes, it's normal. It'll take you several days to start getting back to normal. Follow the nurses and doctors advise. Drinking is very important to keep from getting dehydrated. Walking is very important to get rid of the gas. Pain meds are very important to allow you to do both. Plication is hard on your body, but well worth it. I had read from people who had only the band that say they were out walking the roads the night of surgery. I had band, plication and hernia repair and I wasn't walking any streets for 2 days.

It's totally normal. I was lucky not to have much gas and bloating, but it is common. Everyone is different, it could be a day, it could be a few weeks. just follow your surgeon's instructions and you'll be fine. PS I hear walking helps. I walked around the hallway every hour or so when they said I could get up (same day) And I think that's why I didn't struggle so badly. But having said that, it does depend on how much gas your surgeon pumped into you and how your body deals with it.

Ah phew. Was beginning to regret it bc i had a band fitted 10 yrs ago and whenever it was filled it felt knd of the same & im just wondering if ive swopped for the sameproblem!

Thanks for replying guys, nurses are friendly but theyve never had wls i want to chat with people who have really. Feel a bit teary now hoping ive done the right thing xx

I felt so terrible the first day after my surgery. I was depressed, miserable, and constantly questioned myself on why I would have done this to myself. I was angry with myself and felt as if I ruined my life... It was terrible.. I am about 10 days post-op, I love lost over 23 lbs and am Adjusting well to my new lifestyle.. Hang in there!!!

The first day after surgery I was totally out of it. The next day I got up several times to go to the bathroom and walk the halls of the unit.

I was in the hospital for four days total because I had a hard time getting fluids down but each day it got a little easier and by day four I got enough in to go home.

So my advise is walk to help get rid of that nasty gas pain as much as you can there and at home also take in the fluids that they want you to have so you don't get dehydrated. Must do this at home too or you'll wind up back there.

Also take the pain meds as needed to help.

It gets easier I swear.

Feel better and stay well.

Ah thanks so much people great to hear. Had a panic moment bc im hoping to go home today and so i need to get fluids down - which unless im imagining it - feels easier. When the consultant came by yestetday he said well thats the op youve had, youll never be able to drink normally! I know that but i cant put up with this tightness for ever! Its only day two ill probably be laughing about this next week :-)

I don't know what he's talking about. I drink normally all the time. Anyway, it will get better. What you are experiencing is the swellling. It'll take a couple days to start subsiding and a few weeks to a month to be gone. Just stay with the liquids as directed, last thing you want is to start sliming and pbing. After I was cleared to, I started drinking some warm things. They went down and were very soothing.

Oh really SandyM? Hope that happens for me otherwise it would be so difficult to quench thirst in summer & doing exercise (not that ive done any for ages...)

Anyway im home now, just had an ice lolly. Feeling really wierd & spaced out but also so excited to have finally had it after a long wait. Chelly sounds geat, i will keep that in mind over the next few days :-)

Thanks so much for sharing your frustrations...I'm just starting and I appreciate the "unglamorous" side of the story as well as all the successes! Good luck and I hope you get to go home soon :D

Thanks 4me4them & good luck tp you. How long till your op? Well im home now, not much less uncomfortable but happy that i can potter around the garden etc. Only slightly worried one of the kids may accidentally whack me in the stomach!

Today ive had a strawberry milkshake the hospital gave me which was horrid and only had a few sips of - seemed to block me up straight away. Then had some apple juice. Since ive been home ive had 1 glass Water 1 options and 1callipo lolly. Also just made the family spagetti & meatballs without being the slightest bit tempted.

Still got blurred vision though...may ask the nurse about that tomorrow. Anyone else had that? Dr google tells me its a possible side effect of a ga tho ive had several previously with no trouble.

How are you feeling Katress77? I had my surgery on Monday, and I'm feeling ok--just really sore on one side. Surgery day I could barely move without crying. Day 2 was better but I had a lot of problems staying oxygenated and the Demerol made me really nauseated. Day 3 I got to go home. I didn't walk a lot in the hospital--even though I was in a bariatric center, the nurses were horrible! They were really rude. I didn't have any family with me, so I'm doing all of my walking at home. I have a 2 year old, so I am constantly going up and down the stairs. When my husband gets home, we're going to Wal-Mart which will make me walk a lot, and I'm hoping to take my daughter to the zoo either this weekend or next weekend. The gas pains are virtually gone. My only issues are if I don't take sips and breaks between the sips. If I have 3 sips in a row, I really feel it--horrible pain. Be happy. You've made a great decision to take control of your life. There will be tough days, but you'll get through it. :)

The first few days, week, and month are hard. The swelling for me was really bad and I was miserable. But I can say it gets so much better with time. I lost 50 lbs, and I am out of the obese BMI category (still overweight I guess). Now I can do anything normally, but I can only eat a small plate of food if that, but it's fine with me because of the weight loss!