Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want To Get Back On Track

It will be five years in August since my surgery. I lost a total of 110 pounds but have regained quite a bit in the past couple of years. I am dealing with a lot of shame, depression and anger because I allowed myself to gain this weight back. I exercise five days a week, but find myself losing interest in that because I can't control what I eat and keep gaining weight. Looking for support and encouragement to get back on track. Wondering if there is a forum for those who have had regain. Thanks.

One of the things that I've started doing is religiously tracking everything I eat on My Fitness Pal. It has made me aware again of portion sizes and exactly what I'm eating. It has also helped me to be sure that I'm getting in all of my Protein and Water. You can do it!!

I find myself in the same boat... Feel like I have to fight myself to eat the right things. Im only 21 months out and cant break the 200lb mark. I want to lose 230 pounds. Its me thats holding me back... Hope you were able to get back on track. Good luck to both of us.

I had my gastric bypass Rny completed 10 years ago, on May 24th, 2004 to be exact. The surgery went well and the initially results were more then I could have asked for. My initial goal was to reach 150; when I reached 130 I was just amazed! The journey in itself was not always easy. I struggled with holding food down. Now fast forward to today, I can eat regular sized meals and am not limited on the foods. Now as great as this may seem, I am not struggling with keeping weight off. In fact, over the past two years, especially this past year, I have gained a tremendous amount of weight. I feel so defeated and just lost in what I should do. I am 42, so I do expect so weight gain. I recently had my thyroid checked just to narrow down the possibilities. As of now, I am even considering a revision surgery. Not sure if this will be needed, however; I am keeping those options open. Anyone else experiencing this or something similar?

I am curious to know what is everyone eating when they are gaining all their weight back? What's your daily intake? How many calorie are you eating a day? What's your Protein intake?

This weight loss process is lifelong. It's easy to give up when we feel the loss of control. Just remember that you still have your tool in place but we need to use it as intended. In the early days it was easier to be compliant because we would have nasty consequences if we didn't. That seems to diminish with time so it's harder keep those stringent guidelines. I struggle with making smart choices all day long. It's not one-day-at-a-time, it's one minute-at-a-time. For me, food will always be an addiction and I need to force myself to remember that I am the one responsible for what food I buy, what I make for my family and let's face it: it';s cheaper, easier, and more convienent to make junk vs. healthier foods. Support is important that's why I'm on this site. I'm gonna try today to go back to the basics: 89-90 gr. of Protein shakes, 64 oz. Water, and at least 20 minutes exercise. I will try to focus and make this my goal for today. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Best wishes and don't give up. You're too important. You can regain control. Start in this moment. You're not alone!!

"Finding Your Bariatric Brain" is a WLS Magazine article posted on this site. It helped me remember the rules. You may want to check it out for a boost as well. We can do this!!

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of your encouragement. I am going to try the 5 day pouch test and see what happens....today will be day 1. This whole weight loss process has been such a journey. If I was able to loss the weight in the beginning, I will be able to do it again. I plan on taking it one moment at a time. I will keep everyone updated as I know I will need more help.

Truly wish I found this app sooner, but guess its better late then never.

Thanks again!! :)

I would also encourage you to track what you are eating on MyFitnessPal.com. I have found it a very valuable tool and truely believe that it will be key to my long term success. If you have not tried it, or have not been on in a while, give it another look. Good luck! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Wanted to update everyone since my last post. Well, I have managed 2 days of Protein Shakes only....3 a day, on the 3rd day I had 2 Protein shakes and small meal - all protein for lunch. Today will be day 4. My weight has gone down some, not a lot and not where I want to be, but I am going to try and take the process in a more positive and accountable manner. I have gained the weight over a period of time, so I must be realistic with how much time will be required in losing it.

Thanks everyone for the support. I will post another update later in the week. Would love to hear about everyone's progress and/or struggles.

Wanted to update everyone since my last post. Well, I have managed 2 days of Protein shakes only....3 a day, on the 3rd day I had 2 Protein Shakes and small meal - all Protein for lunch. Today will be day 4. My weight has gone down some, not a lot and not where I want to be, but I am going to try and take the process in a more positive and accountable manner. I have gained the weight over a period of time, so I must be realistic with how much time will be required in losing it.

Thanks everyone for the support. I will post another update later in the week. Would love to hear about everyone's progress and/or struggles.

Thank you for the update! I have been thinking about you. I am glad that you have found a way to get back in control. Remember these first couple weeks are going to be the worst - prepare yourself to keep your determination up.

I am just a year out, but I have reached my goal weight and am trying to maintain - something I have NEVER done in my life. I have lost 205 pounds. I still have a very difficult relationship with food, and constantly am pulled to want to make bad choices. So far I have been able to fight that off. I am very afraid of gaining the weight back because I seem to be able to eat much more than I should and I have yet to dump on any food that I have tried. I even had a scoop of real strawberry ice cream with no problems - I have only done this one time, on vacation!

I attribute my success to MyFitnessPal.com. I continue to use it everyday. It keeps me accountable and lets me know at a glance where I am at. Even on days that I give into my head hunger or a craving I record it.

Keep up the awesome job!! You have what you need to do this and we are here to support you!!

Carol

It will be five years in August since my surgery. I lost a total of 110 pounds but have regained quite a bit in the past couple of years. I am dealing with a lot of shame, depression and anger because I allowed myself to gain this weight back. I exercise five days a week, but find myself losing interest in that because I can't control what I eat and keep gaining weight. Looking for support and encouragement to get back on track. Wondering if there is a forum for those who have had regain. Thanks.

I had RNY 9/03. Lost 108 lbs total. Put back 68 lbs. by the end of the fifth year and had revision 10/08. I was humiliated, but I'd put SO much time, money and effort, I didn't want to throw in the towel. My surgeon was absolutely wonderful when I went back in shame. Am now on the upward climb again and having pain, vomiting large amounts of mucous (not foamies; thick, clear, mucous; like karo Syrup consistency). I go for an endoscopy this week.. Had UGI and CT. I'm feeling so discouraged with myself again. Even 80 lbs less than highest weight, I've lost interest in trying to look pretty. Am really looking forward to the results Thurs.

Ok folks, since my initial post about getting back on track, I have truly stuck to regaining control of my food intake, exercise, and weight! I am feeling more confident that I will be successful and continue on this path. In actuality, this experience has been very eye-opening. For the first time, I think ever in my life....with dealing with feelings about my body, weight, and image..I feel so supported by others Just Like Me. It is crazy to think of all the support groups for gambling, drug addicts, anorexia, are available and most often acknowledged my insurance companies, when weight - obesity - is just ignored, and laughed at. You would think by now more insurance companies would take a more proactive role with these methods, like wls, to assist with getting people back to being healthier. Not to mention if they did take this approach, diabetes, heart disease, and other medical issues caused by obesity could be better managed.

Ok so off the soap box. Thanks so much for everyone's continued support. I have lost some weight and have roughly 30 pounds to go. I manage to run 6 miles today and will be more proactive them ever with getting this weight off. When I feel more comfortable and confident I will post some pictures of my progress.

Would love to see pics of your progress to....talk about inspiration!

Much love to you all! :)