Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to go to the gym

I have a membership and it's close by and my family is very supportive. But I'm scared to walk into the place. I think I may make an appointment with a trainer and have them work out a fitness plan for me. Since I don't really know what to do or how to get started. My husband and I walk every evening. And my daughter and I go for bike rides which I haven't done in seven years. I was banded on May 9th. I'm down 33 pounds. Size 18 clothes. Was a 22. I've been trying to psych myself up for my first gym visit and I'm scared to death.

Hold your head up and just walk in! No one there will judge you! I know the first step is the hardest, but you can do this. The first time i walked into a gym i weighed 400 pounds! If it does help, set an appointment to get set up on a program, the trainers are there to assist you. good luck and take care!!

I know what you mean. I felt that way the first time I went. Now I've been going for a few years and I don't get the stares that I expected to get. In fact, many people are supportive. I've actually had a few people make positive comments to me. I did a training package to learn how to use the equipment; very glad I did that.

Good luck.

Set up that personal training appointment and go! Ask for the most gentle trainer or the one most experienced in working with obese clients. I did a package presurgery and gained 10 pounds of muscle and lost 4% body fat. Stayed the same weight but that was my goal for insurance reasons. That's huge!

Getting a trainer has several benefits. You'll learn the right things to do to reach your goals and you'll learn to do them in a way to not hurt yourself. You also will feel more motivated to go when you know somebody is following you. And you'll feel more confident when you go by yourself because you'll know what you're doing.

Best wishes!

Ugh.. I feel the same way. I just bought a gym membership.. I know I need to get started. I've never been in this particular one before and just the thought of everything being new just fills me with all this stupid anxiety.. I've always had issues with anxiety though, so I know for a fact that once I get that first step over with I'll be fine.. I've never felt like I was on display or being looked at funny or judged while at a gym. Still, I've been putting it off. I've been to other gyms before though and most of the machines are the same. I have to admit, they're actually kinda fun. Once you get the hang of it and feel comfortable going, I think you'll enjoy it. Cardio was the boring part for me, but seems like you have that covered since you have an amazing hubby that walks with you every evening!

I think getting a trainer would be a good idea too. They'll help you get acclimated to all the equipment and whatnot. Your first experience will also be much more personalized and it'll give you an idea of what you need to aim for with your gym routine. You can decide later if you want to continue with them or not.

Let me ask you something: why are you afraid to get healthier? Why should you let other people stop you from being the healthiest and best you are? What right do other people have to do that? You are giving them that right when you say that.

"Tinaree".....If you want to go.....go. I understand that it can be intimidating or at least the thought of going there, especially if it's something new for you. We're often scared or reluctant to try something unfamiliar or new. I can't speak specifically for your gym and the people there, but I would bet money that most people there will not judge you, or may not even acknowledge you. Not really like.....a you don't exist kind of thing. But more like most people are there to get something done and are too focused on what they are doing to have time to take in the scenery or judge others. And if there is someone there that does have that much time on their hands or basically has no life, well, why would you be worried about what they think anyway? I would approach it like that. It is good to have a trainer or someone familiar with the machines to go over them with you and how to use them, but at some point, try to own that part of your life, get motivated and like Nike used to say......"Just Do It". Before you know it, there will be "newbies" walking into the gym for the first time worried about what YOU may think of THEM and maybe you'll have an opportunity to help and support them. :)

Its funny (not) how we will walk into a restaurant overweight and generaly not care.But a gym scares the heck out of us. Be proud know that more than not you will get a big nod of understanding that you've made a great choice too change your life.

I was scared too. Then I found out there is a small room in the back for "women only" that is fully equipped! It's awesome. Just us gals cracking up and working hard.

I don't even want to work in the big room anymore!

It is intimidating... all those big burly guys working out with the weights and those lil skinny minis on the treadmills. I understand. A long time ago when I was in college, I gained the freshman 15. I wanted the weight off but was scared to go to the university gym thinking that everyone would laugh at me, or think look at that fatty (if only I could weigh that right now). However, I read in a magazine that most people are worried about what they are doing with their workouts and feeling self conscious themselves.

You walk in and do your thing! Most gyms have a trainer help you out the first time you're there to make you comfortable. I love the gym. I couldn't live without it now. Many people will respect the fact that you are there trying to make a difference instead of judging you!

Amen!

Hey I was fat and I was still wearing the large Speedos. No one cares. As long as you have clothes on and can share a lane, nobody cares.

If you have a spiffy looking suit, YES they will. I've seen some "cat" looking ones, etc. then someone will make a comment. Otherwise ... its who cares.

Btw, I go to a university gym. Everyone was there. Thin, middle, fat, women, old people, rehab you name it. No one cared.

If you run the wrong way on the track (the track direction alternates on different days), someone will carp. You use equipment on the track floor, expect to hear a beef. I've had some older women walk the track and passed encouragement on when I passed them. They were thankful.

The word is out now that if people don't exercise they won't get thinner, so shaming them is NOT the way to go. You need to accept and encourage.

I get it and understand completely but it is scary. More scary to be cut open though and go through what you have already so this is just a piece of cake. (pun intended) Think of the the thrill once you do it! It will be a "high" moment! I am proud of you and you can do it.

Where you at? I will go with you! We all will! We will own that place!

This is your time...own it! Enjoy this time for you. See if they have fun classes like Zumba...or kickboxing. Find something you enjoy and embrace it. Most gyms I have been in..there are people of all sizes. Be proud you are taking care of you...we are our own worst critics. Don't let negative thinking sabotage you! :-) You can do this!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I love this site and visit daily. You've all given me the boost that I needed, and I'm calling today. I'll keep you all posted.

Tinaree